Generators

Tanskavan

The suit case Honda`s are very quiet i have an 8yr old ex650 very reliable it lasts at least 5 hrs on a tank full very good but a little heavy the newer ones have inverter technology and are lighter. depends what you want out of one, to watch TV and charge the battery ideal.

A second battery would be useful especially when you dont want to run them in the evening.

Ideal for CL`s and Cs`s with a long hook up you can put them far enough away from others if there are any ,so they cant hear it, cable lock it to a tree for security.

The 2 stroke cheapies are noisy and will not last as long as the quality 4 strokes. All i have ever done is change the oil and fit a new spark plug in all that time.

Pete

Tanskavan - 2007-02-18 9:19 PM

I am thinking of purchasing a generator for when camping without electricity. Can anyone suggest a low noise, lightweight suitable generator. We do not intend using high watt appliances with this. This would solve having a second leisure battery or would it?

try hiring CLIVE for your trips - see page 33 mmm - sure he would oblige, at the rite price of course

If you can do the wiring yourself, a second leisure battery would extend your capacity at a lot less money.

Beware generators: most camp sites and their users hate them (I know I do for one). They are always demonstrated under 'no load' conditions. Put a decent load on them and most of them suddenly become a whole lot noisier!

There are some very inexpensive ones around these days. Noise levels tend to be in enverse ratio to price - i.e., cheaper = noisier!

Please think twice about a generator. For some reason, when we attend shows, someone always decides to buy a cheap!!!!!!!!! generator and then we have to put up with the intrusion. For the life of me I cannot understand why someone goes away for 2-3 days and requires a generator????

Just did 2 nights in NEC and 2 nights in North Wales without a generator. We have 2 x 120amp leisure batteries. Yes we did use the tv a lot and enetertained in the van one night with all the lights on.

Please think twice or make sure you are parked well away from everyone else.

They really are hated by loads of people.

Chris

Hi Tanskavan

Have to agree with Chris - they are noisy for those on the receiving end.

We don't have a portable one but have had two 'vans with fixed gennies and used them only very rarely. In fact, the only time we used one was to use the fitted microwave (american van) as there wass no gas oven.

Now have twin 110 ah batteries and have managed to stretch them to five nights even with sat TV.

The other down sides to having the generator (besides noise) is storage and keeping fuel safely stored.

Have a good think first.

Regards, David

Ok it seems that I am the only one who likes them at the moment but they were more acceptable a few years ago, I must admit i dont use it as much as before as Lcd Tv technology has improved with less power drain i have 4x 85amp batteries coupled together which last a few days.

Before you go down the path of Generators have you considered Solar Panels on the roof. you wont get the same power out of them but it will charge the Batteries up and you will need to put more batteries on to get any advantage.

The systems are not cheap but will be equally as expensive as a top class Generator plus the saving on fuel.

Pete

Hi pete I like them as well :-D

When you need a lot of power nothing beats a genny, wife wants to use the hairdryer, batteries getting flat etc. 20 minutes running the genny and your sorted.

I never use it before 10.00 or after 20.00. The RV is 3 years old and the genny hour meter shows 49 hours use.

They are fine if used in moderation and with regard to fellow campers.

Olley

• 4 years later...
olley - 2007-02-21 11:43 AM

When you need a lot of power nothing beats a genny, wife wants to use the hairdryer, batteries getting flat etc. 20 minutes running the genny and your sorted.

I never use it before 10.00 or after 20.00. The RV is 3 years old and the genny hour meter shows 49 hours use.

Olley

Hi all. a new motorhomer. here my questions , all use portable genny just for battery charging?

how many MHers own a genny? usually where gennies obtained? any advices welcome :-S

Davidlucky - 2011-11-28 9:25 AM

Olley

Hi all. a new motorhomer. here my questions , all use portable genny just for battery charging?

how many MHers own a genny? usually where gennies obtained? any advices welcome :-S

Be careful how much you give away if you reply. Something tells me this may not be quite what it seems. Apologies to David if I'm wrong. Which part of UK do you live in, David?

Brian Kirby - 2011-11-28 11:15 AM

Davidlucky - 2011-11-28 9:25 AM

Olley

Be careful how much you give away if you reply. Something tells me this may not be quite what it seems. Apologies to David if I'm wrong. Which part of UK do you live in, David?

Certainly sounds like a bit of market research.

;-)

We have a Honda EU20i (4 stroke) converted to run on Propane, A lot quieter than 2 stoke models , a big outlay at first, but the benefits we get from it make it worth while when wild camping,  BUT, do check with other occupants if on a site before using it and never after 7 pm, Be very considerate of other Campers and you should not have any problems, if using to charge batteries try going off site to a lay by and running the Genny there to charge the Batteries.

Although there is a general dislike of people using generators, there are some who need to rely on them for very specific reasons.

We are considering a generator to charge my wife's Electric Wheelchair batteries, especially when attending shows (typically Thursday to Monday) when there is no EHU available.

No amount of additional of Solar panels or Leisure Batteries in conjunction with an Inverter will meet this demand.

Surely the important point is consideration for others as to the timing of use (?) (?) (?)

Or is there something I'm missing (?) (?) (?)

flicka - 2011-11-28 9:18 PM

Although there is a general dislike of people using generators, there are some who need to rely on them for very specific reasons.

We are considering a generator to charge my wife's Electric Wheelchair batteries, especially when attending shows (typically Thursday to Monday) when there is no EHU available.

No amount of additional of Solar panels or Leisure Batteries in conjunction with an Inverter will meet this demand.

Surely the important point is consideration for others as to the timing of use (?) (?) (?)

Or is there something I'm missing (?) (?) (?)

As I posted on another thread, we where at Gatcombe this year, first thing in morning a genny fired up, when we went back to van for lunch another genny fired up, when we returned in evening a genny fired up. On second day we drove out in evening to minchinhampton common just so we could have a meal in peace, I've no dought each thought they where being considerate, but it didn't end up that way.

We have a Honda that we used to take when the boys went racing because we needed the power in the pits and some times in the evenings. Brilliant genny but a right pain in the ***** to live with in a motorhome. Takes a lot of space, is heavy and needs fuel etc. We would not dream of taking it with us now we have retired. Still comes in handy for power cuts at home. I have wired in relay operated circuits into the house so that if a power cuts happens all we need to do is manually start said genny Handy for providing power in the more remote parts of the garden as well.

I have two gennies at home one a so called silent model which isnt and a pukka 2.5 Kw one to run the freezers during a power cut.

No generator is silent, the more expensive ones are annoying, producing a buzz which can get on your wick eventually, not a problem to the operator inside his van watching 'Corrie' (sad b.,;[]d).

All I ask is that ,if you use a genny, stay at least 1000m away from me. PLEASE.

Archived