Hymer Table / Bed Base

Fetch  Carry

We have a Hymer B534 with rear lounge and the table drops down to form the bed base, yes we have the big pull down bed but the wife prefers sleeping in the back, also have two dogs that don't take kindly to us being up where they can't reach us.

The lounge is good for dining with the great big strong Hymer table, but it gets a wee bit in the way for just lounging, the table drops down to bed height but by the look of things is not designed to go completely flat so you could put it out the way.

So my question is has anyone modified this sort of table/bed base to use an alternative bed base/table so you can take the table out of the way when needed?

(lol) ummmm,

this isn't our old hymer is it?

we were told by the newark people to carry it loose!!!!!, oh yes we were!!!!! our old hymer was wonderful and we would love to hear from her new owners. we used a bungie cord behind the front passenger seat or a hook thing in the floor at the back.

regards mavis (lol)

Why not get a couple of folding table legs and a cheap lightweight table top from somewhere like Ikea, or even from a second hand shop and use that instead for a table, you could then move it out of the way much easier. As for making the bed base when needed, could you perhaps make your own slats to fit in the middle? I did this on one of our previous vans - some cheap timber (from a market) and webbing tape, worked a treat.

Henry

No not yours we are first registered UK keepers after being imported from Germany, behind the drivers seat storage is an ideal place, but the table does not go completley flat, only *seems* to go down as far as needed for the bed base.

Mel B

Yeah my idea for the bed was for slats between webbing as per other models of Motorhome, could even make a small box/cabinet for the very rear of the U shape lounge to store the slats in, it would seem the Germans must want a table there all the time for some reason, think I need to find a small but sturdy folding table, then get the saw out for the slats etc.

I have a 584 with what sounds a similar table/bed arrangement but at the front. After a few months I removed the table completely and used a free standing one. Bags more space and doubled the carrying capacity! Your table probably bolts to the floor with the bolts going into a captive plate under the floor.

As Mel suggested an infill for the area when using the bed could be fabricate to provide a drop in bed base. Nothing to technical is needed. A piece of ply cut to the right size and beefed up with battens underneath (Glued and screwed into place) A base made up from battens would work as well.

Archived