Pilote or Burstner

limerick

Hi

I'm thinking of changing my Dethleff coachbuild to either a Pilote P665TP lowprofile or something similar in a Burstner with a permanent bed.Has anyone got experience of these manafactures and also Fiat and Renault engines

Would be glad to hear your experiences of these

limerick

Frank

Assuming you are thinking of buying new, the current Fiat engines are new developments so only a few are on the road so far.  The older versions were generally OK though.  Mostly made by SOFIM and they are, as described to me, "proper little truck engines" and not de-tuned car engines.  The basics of the Ducato seem also tough and generally well enough engineered.

We have a Fiat based Burstner.  Burstner quality, in my experience, is very good and, based on what I have seen, somewhat better overall that Dethleffs.  However, they don't waste money on needless refinement where it won't show.  What you see is neat enough, but if you look "behind the scenes" you'll find, for example, the electrics are a bit thrown in.  Nothing wrong with the execution, but a few cable ties and tags would make it all a bit neater.  However, it would doubtless increase cost and it wouldn't actually work any better.  In reality, I doubt any of the relatively larger producers really do any better.  They all have to sell a product for a price and in that respect I think Burstner come very near the top for value for money.

Can't speak for Pilote or Renault but hope this helps.

Frank - firstly I'm glad to read Brians comments above, as we've just got a Burstner on order!!

We've looked at the Pilotes over the years, and at preent have a Rapido - Pilote basically did not appeal to us, more in the colouring of the 'wood' and fabrics rather than anything else I guess, although the designs didn't really grab us.

As far as the base vehicel is conccerned, we've order on the new Fiat 2.3 TD, 3500 chassis, which on an admittedly short test drive certianly handles very well.

Whilst when the new Reanulats were introduced, the reveiwer seemed to rave over htem, we've looked at some, and the cab interiors seem positivaly commercial and basic. Perhaps that depends on which version the convertors choose to use, but we were not impressed with the ones we saw, even compared with ou 5rd old Fiat - and the new Fiat is very much better in appearance in the cab, and certainly less commercial, even almost 'car-like'.

At the end of the day, you have to go with what you like, what is available, and what fits your finances!

As my logon name implies I have a Burstner which I obtained from new about 10 months ago. For a number of reasons we have not been able to use it as much as we would have liked and our longest trip was a recent week in France. However, we spent a long time looking for our van and although many had the layout we required we felt that the Burstner shaded it in terms of build quality and value for money (certainly when compared with the equivalent Pilote). Thus far we have been very impressed and all indications are that the build quality is high. We had a couple of minor niggles after purchase but I think that this is the case with virtually all new vans and they were easily rectified. In sum we are very pleased although I guess time will tell. The Renault 3 litre traffic base vehicle is, in my view, a cracker and great to drive although I think that newer models have a more refined 2.5 litre engine. We also think that the Renault is better looking than the new Fiat but maybe we are biased!

Good Luck

DD

A few quick points:

1. The Renault Master base now comes only with a range of 2.5 litre engines, thoguh the range topping one is as good as the old Nissan 3 litre. The have very high torque figures and all drive well and quietly.

2. My key objection to Pilote has always been the frequency with which they completely change their A-Class body shape, immediately out-dating yours and inevitably, reducing its used value.

3. Burstner are, of course, wholly owned by Hymer, though, for my money, they produce a much better product than Hymer.

4. As an alternative, it's worth looking at the Frankia/Bavaria ranges - both by German builder Frankia, which has been wholly owned by Pilote for around 10 years or so (Bavaria is their cheaper range). Great build quality, some really unusual design touches on storage, beds, moveable tables, etc., and quite rare, so you'd not be 'just another pilote or Burstner owner'!

I'm going to see a Burstner Solano t 615 on a Fiat 3.5 ltr and a Delfin t 680 on a Renault 3 ltr next Saturday.The reason i'm going for Pilote or Burstner is because both dealers are within 1 hours drive and the Piolet dealer also sold me the Dethleff and was great to deal with.I've heard there were a lot of problems with the gearbox in Renault van's but you wouldn't be doing a lot of milage in a motorhome so it may not be a problem.

Thank's for all the reply's and keep them coming

limerick

A bit late picking up this thread as I've been away in the New Forest but I see that you've already decided on the Pilote.

Looking at Brian's comments on the Burstner could pretty well describe my own feelings on my Pilote. On the whole I'm very pleased with it.

It really comes down to which model suits you best as I don't think either manufacturer is one to be avoided. But then I once owned a Swift so it shows I don't always get it right :-D

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to upset the Burstner fans but we bought a new Burstner A Class eighteen months ago and it has given us nothing but problems, over twenty in all, from water leaks to poor cabinet work. It took a year to get a major body part needed and any sort of after sales help, from both Burstner and Chelston, has been pathetic. We cannot wait to get rid of it.

However, we did have a Burstner 747 previously, which is why we stayed with the same brand, and that was a cracker.

Have fun.

Guest starspirit

I find it better to buy a year old van with which some other poor soul has had all the aggro with and by the time I get it it is well sorted.

Maybe less choice but also less cost and aggro too?

Well it's always worked for me - so far that is?

On the other hand I do feel for those intrepid folk who spend huge amounts of money and are disappointed and let down by indifferent dealers and manufacturers.

I had a problem with the Gearshift box on my Delphin Performance 700 which has been repaired and is now driving really well with 2.5 engine.Also tow a smart no problems.We have the model with 2 single beds excellent for us who have to get up in the night.I agree with the other threads that the Burstner is a well built motor home.

And as far as the box is concerned I have not heard any oyher bad reports so I feel it was just bad luck. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Do you mean Burstners build quality is bad luck, Burstners non existant after care was bad luck, or Chelstons non existant after care was bad luck Omar? I can except, but not condone, that either one could happen. However, to be the victim of all three 'bad luck' is not the discription that comes to my mind.

Archived