Driving licences - again please

ColinM50

Son passed his driving test in late 96 and has B1 and C1 on his d/l. Son in law is a year younger, but still 37 and passed his test July 97. He has B1 but no C1.

I've had a look around the DVLA site and I'm not 100% sure whether he can drive my 3500Kg motorhome or not. Any help appreciated.

And if he does have to do a separate test, is this something he can just sit, or does he have to undergo a special (c£500) course?

The relevant category in your case is B (to which 'Grandfather' rights applied if the test was passed before 1/1/97)

Category B - if you passed your test before 1 January 1997

You’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg maximum authorised mass (MAM). View your driving licence information to check.

You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Category B - if you passed your test on or after 1 January 1997

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer is not more than 3,500kg.

You can drive motor tricycles with a power output higher than 15kW if you are over 21 years old.

Physically disabled drivers with provisional category B entitlement will also have provisional entitlement to ride category A1 or A motor tricycles.

The most likely outcome is that both sons are licenced to drive a vehicle with a maximum GVW of 3500kg, the older can also drive one up to 7500kg, but the younger would need to take C1 qualification for that (having missed out on Grandfather rights).

Archived