Drive through the Pyrenees.

stevec176

I'm going to be spending a month touring the Picos area and then driving across the Pyrenees to the coast in October, not really looking to travel down Spain. I've read a couple of articles in MMM and other books but looking for recommendations for routes and places to stay. Travelling with another couple with their van too.

Thanks

Are you just coming back from the Picos or are you looking to go into the Pyrenees Coming back is via Irun but you won't go into the Pyrenees. I'd suggest for a taste of the mountains aire at Jaca in Spain then to Col du Pourtalet, to Laruns to Col d' Aubisque to Col de Soulor the aire at Arrens Marsous we have overnighted at each place if you've more time I can add some more nights on same route

I cannot advise any routes or places to stay but be aware that if you wander off a recognised route you can end up on roads so narrow that 2 vehicle can hardly pass ... on one side rocks rising straight up and the other a drop down to nothing with no fencing or barriers.

I misread a sign and met no one but did see refuse and delivery trucks parked which meant I was very lucky and driving on the right with RH controls any mishap and I would never have been found.

What was curious was that there was a large community living amongst it all.

PS After some 40 years it still gives me the creeps !

I like the parking area next 5o the old walled town at Ainsa in northern Spain. It’s on the downhill from the tunnel from France to Spain. We have also stayed near fuenmayor on a reasonable ACSI site which gives good access to Rioja wineries/bodegas.

Archived