radio aerial

geordie

Guest starspirit

If you take the plastic strips between the windscreen and wing off you can drill a hole in the very top of the wing and just about get a spanner in through and under the gap to tighten the nut on the aerial.

You may need an extended aerial (about 3' should be enough) as the bodywork still seems to screen the usual short-house type modern aerials which are more suitable for a car.

Its a bit fiddly but can be done quite easily, but do make sure you leave enough wing for the aerial base to sit square onto when you drill yer ole.

Do it on the nearside and you can push the cable through a convenient grommet up behind the glove box. I used a wire coathanger taped to the cable and wiggled it up into the radio space. Not difficult but fiddly and time consuming.

Good job that I am a very patient sort of geezer!

The outer wing can be unbolted very easily from the inner and then "sprung" far enough to get your hand behid easily. remove the bolts along the top edge of the wing, the two (I think) in the door hinge end and there's a couple on the fuel filler flap. Don't forget to grommet any points that the aerial lead passes through bodywork.

D.

Or you can cellotape a thin strip of fuse wire half an inch down from the top of the screen and down one side and use this in stead. No holes to drill and it will work reasonabbly, but not as good as a long whip on top of the roof.

I did this on a side window for our second radio / CD player as the dashboard hole has a radio / tape player in it.

Bodge yes, but cheep and it works.

• 1 month later...

Eventually got round to fitting the new aerial and it was doddle thanks to the advice from everyone. Managed to spring the wing enough to get tools in.

I fitted a £5 rubber duck and it works great, even in the far north of Scotland-subject to signals of course, which are not that good up there.

And yes michele, I am a real geordie!

JaCKIE

I had the problem of poor reception on our Autocruise/Boxer, when it was new

Before changing the aerial, remove the plastic shield onder the wing, remove the aerial and make sure it is earthing to bare metal on the wing.

Improving the earth on our van improved the reception beyond belief

Ken

Following an accident repair on my Hymer b544, the pillar aerial has been replaced by a Bosch 'rubber duck' which is coiled along its length. Reception is average but I wouls prefer the original type back on as it ran up the side pillar of the screen and I think it had a larger 'capture'. Where can I find a replacement unit?

Archived