finding a connection

silverback

Hi all, need a spot of help, 2019 x290 fiat, i have wired 2 flashing lights in the windscreen, so now i need to connect to the fuse box (right of the steering wheel) i would be using piggy back fuses and not splicing into the wires, i need the flashing lights to come on when the ignition turns off, there is a positive wire (the blue one) and the negative wire (the black one) do you know which are the correct fuses to piggy back?

i have attached a photo

thanks

Jonathan

DSC00348.jpg.1ca9fcc2eeb60878920c4db1233bee9e.jpg

Johnathan,

I am not familiar with the X290, and therefore I am onlyable to advise you in general terms.

In my opinion you are seeking the impossible, as generally ignition switches switch off, when turned off.

A more achievable solution to your requirements would be to include a relay in the circuit, and use the normally open (NO) contact 87a to power your lights.

You would need to connect the relay coil between an ignition controlled accessory fuse and chassis. The relay common contact (30) would need to be piggy backed to permanently live second fuse.

As regards fuse identification, on my 2006 x244, fuse functions and locations are shown in the Fiat handbook.

There could also be CANBUS related problems, but it may be possible to avoid these by carefull fuseway selection.

Alan

cheers Alan, there is minimal power to these flashing leds so might just wire it to vehicle battery and chuck a cloth over it if it gets on my nerves when driving. 8-) B-) :-D

Jonathan

PS yes in the handbook but electricity stuff is gobbledegook to me, cos i am an engineer! metal and solutions to metal is my fortay *-) B-)

As suggested by Alan you cannot connect directly, you need a relay, a 5 pin automotive changeover relay,

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/change-over-relay-12v-30a-supression-diode.html

Adding a bit more detail on the reply made by Alan.

The dash fuse panel for your vehicle has circuits that are live when ignition is on, I suggest fuse F35, reversing light circuit. Use your piggy back fuse in this location and install a 7.5 amp fuse. Connect this fused feed to terminal 86 of the relay, connect terminal 85 to a suitable point on the vehicle metalwork ensuring a good connection. If you are unsure about the terminals on the relay 12voltplanet have diagrams on their site.

When you turn the ignition on and off you should hear the relay operate.

Now connect your lights to the relay normally closed contacts. Connect the positive wire to pin 87a, the normally closed connection on the relay. Connect the negative wire for the lamps to the vehicle metalwork as used before. A 12v power feed is needed, connect this to pin 30 on the relay. I suggest this is taken from the vehicle battery via an in-line fuse, 7.5 amps, connect the fuse as near the battery positive terminal as practical.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/inline-splashproof-standard-blade-fuse-holder-with-led.html

Note Fiat state that where any work is undertaken on the electrical system the battery should be disconnected at the negative terminal before any work is carried out.

Mike

Archived