Water system saga, another lesson learnt!

colin

T'other week we where getting ready to go off on long weekend (and grandfathers brothers funeral ! ), filled up the water tank and flushed throu the taps and toilet when I thought "have I dosed toilet?" well opened up the locker (to get to fluid) and pulled cassette to find top of cassette covered in water, on investigation it appeared that bowl was ok, but flushing system was leaking somewhere out of view, no time to sort it, so off we went with a bottle to flush the toilet.

Anyway a few days spent down at Slimbridge where quite pleasant, but we where getting problems with the water pump, this has been playing up for the last few trips with the occasional squealing of motor, and I've been meaning to replace it, on this trip it would sometimes work ok, then it would slow down with just a dribble coming out, and sometime stop all together.

On return I decided to sort it out, a new water pump was ordered, in the meantime I would investigate the toilet, not an easy task with a intermittent pump, but came to conclusion there must be a leak where the pipe connects to bowl jet, so it was dismantle toilet from below, eventually I got the bowl out and still struggled to find the leak, managing to get water everywhere, eventually I traced it to an anti-syphon valve located near the top of bowl, but it wasn't easy to work out what was going wrong what with the pump still playing up and very little sight when bowl was upright, then a eureka moment, the valve only seemed to leak when the pump was running slowly, with lack of pressure the water dribbled past valve instead of 'slamming' it shut. Damn that was hours wasted looking for a leak.

Couple of days later the pump turns up, a 'Comet Lux', took the old pump out, but it has a one way valve on the outlet, I couldn't get it off, on closer inspection I see that it is glued in place, damn, phone up supplier, have they got the valve as I couldn't see it on website, no they didn't think so if it's not on website, a look around the www and I find several suppliers of similar model Comet pump, but only one shows a similar one way valve and this is a different colour, phone them up, after some searching they say it might fit as it's a Comet part. Oh well brute force is called for, I twist the one way valve in the hope the glue joint might break, no such luck I just ripped apart the pump outlet, so off to the workshop, sleeve the outer of valve (to prevent crushing) and mount it in lathe, machine out the piece of pump still glued in until new pump fits the hole, glue one way valve onto new pump with plastic cement, and fit pump back in the tank.

All seems well at moment, but I've just remembered I need to double check the toilet.

I have an ancient Comet bochure that suggests that their immersion (submersible) pumps were marketed ‘naked’, or with an attached air-lock-release fitting, or with an attached non-return valve, air-lock-release and filter.

From what you’ve said, it seems that the two attachment fittings are permanently fixed to the pump and, for like-for-like replacement, it’s necessary to buy the appropriate pump complete with the fitting.

However, it is possible to add either of the two attachments to a ‘naked’ pump (like the Comet Lux pump you bought) and the attachments are shown in the Accessories section of the brochure.

Comet’s website is here

https://www.comet-pumpen.de/en/home.html

and the “accessories” webpage relating to submersble pumps

https://www.comet-pumpen.de/en/products-rv/pumps/submersible-pumps/accessories/non-return-valves.html

shows two non-return valve/air-release fittings that can be attached to a Comet pump.

Assuming that the 3004.53.00 fitting would be appropriate for your Comet Lux pump, that fitting is advertised here

https://tinyurl.com/yyxmh2tz

Yes that's the non return valve which fits my pump.

An update on toilet, there is now just a small weep from anti-syphon valve, better than the dribble it originally had, but not good enough. I did notice the valve looked as if it might have a small amount of lime scale, so I guess that's the problem, when I feel up to it I'll have to dismantle it again and either clean the lime scale off, or get a new one.

colin - 2019-08-10 7:51 PM

Yes that's the non return valve which fits my pump.

An update on toilet, there is now just a small weep from anti-syphon valve, better than the dribble it originally had, but not good enough. I did notice the valve looked as if it might have a small amount of lime scale, so I guess that's the problem, when I feel up to it I'll have to dismantle it again and either clean the lime scale off, or get a new one.

Replaced mine recently, they are not expensive. Google 'Thetford vacuum breaker'.

Archived