New mot regulations abroad

Barcobird

"Vehicle safety and roadworthiness (MOT)

Your UK MOT test certificate will not be recognised in the EU after Brexit.

You must have your vehicle retested in the EU country you live in."

The above was just emailed to me from the government as one of their daily upgrades on the Brexit situation.

It doesn't make sense to me.

If you live abroad with one of the EU driving licences (not uk) then you can't drive a foreign registered vehicle.

If you live abroad on a uk license driving a uk vehicle this is for a period of no longer than 6 months, 3 months after Brexit ( which will ruin all the retired travellers plans of spending the winter in the sun) you then have to import it.

So what are they suggesting ? If you spend 2 months in Spain you have to get a Spanish mot.

It all seems a bit contradictory!

Also the other thing is at the moment you can spend up to 6 months less a day in any european country, so if you are in Spain for 5 months you can pop over the border into France for another 5 months. After Brexit you are allowed only 3 months and that is in Europe, in other words as soon as you hit Calais or anywhere over the water the clock starts clicking.

Therefore full timing around Europe won't be possible anymore, it will also mean an end to the insurance companies providing insurance for full timers abroad.

Barcobird - 2019-08-13 5:27 PM

Also the other thing is at the moment you can spend up to 6 months less a day in any european country, so if you are in Spain for 5 months you can pop over the border into France for another 5 months. After Brexit you are allowed only 3 months and that is in Europe, in other words as soon as you hit Calais or anywhere over the water the clock starts clicking.

Therefore full timing around Europe won't be possible anymore, it will also mean an end to the insurance companies providing insurance for full timers abroad.

Barco.....it's always been 3 months, just that previously it wasn't enforced on Brits re-entering UK. Some will undoubtedly fall foul but i've given up explaining.

But as an example of 'residency' which is what the op refers to, when my son was in the forces and posted to Germany he couldn't decide what to do over his car so left it here at first. Eventually decided to hang on to it and came to collect it, by which time he was considered forces overseas 'resident' which meant his car had to be re-plated, have lhd light units fitted, and go through the German TUV. Without that he wouldn't have been allowed to use his car as the MOT becomes void.

Barcobird - 2019-08-13 5:27 PM

I've not really been following the 3 month issue as it does not affect me, but is it the case that nobody will be able to stay longer under any circumstances, or just that those wishing to do so will need a visa?

I've not really been following the 3 month issue as it does not affect me, but is it the case that nobody will be able to stay longer under any circumstances, or just that those wishing to do so will need a visa?

Don't think they will be issuing visas (lol)

In my opinion this is a very sorry state of affairs, it is going to cost the UK billions of wasted money, Mr Grayling!!! for one example, It will create more and more problems as we proceed and this is all down to Cameron and Johnson who should have been straight from the start and all the facts should have been presented BEFORE the referendum !!! :-(

Barcobird - 2019-08-13 9:06 PM

In my opinion this is a very sorry state of affairs, it is going to cost the UK billions of wasted money, Mr Grayling!!! for one example, It will create more and more problems as we proceed and this is all down to Cameron and Johnson who should have been straight from the start and all the facts should have been presented BEFORE the referendum !!! :-(

I wasn't looking for opinions on the merits or otherwise of leaving the EU, just an answer to a simple question.

aandy - 2019-08-13 9:39 PM

I wasn't looking for opinions on the merits or otherwise of leaving the EU, just an answer to a simple question.

My apologies, I was under the impression forums were a base for expressing opinions, maybe I've got that wrong as well *-)

Billggski - 2019-08-13 3:46 PM

Although even visitors will need an IDP.

this the latest from UK gov website, I suppose it's only if we leave with a deal. I've got both Sp, Fr, just incase--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EU and EEA countries where you can drive without an IDP

Some countries have confirmed that UK licence holders will not need an IDP to drive when visiting after Brexit.

If you have either a UK photocard or UK paper driving licence, you will not need an IDP to drive when visiting:

Belgium, for visits up to 185 days

Denmark, for visits up to 90 days

Finland

Hungary, for visits up to 12 months

Iceland, for visits up to 1 month

Ireland, for visits up to 12 months

Luxembourg, for visits up to 185 days

Portugal, for visits up to 185 days

Slovakia

Slovenia, for visits up to 90 days

Spain, for 9 months after the date the UK leaves the EU, and then for visits up to 6 months

Switzerland

(lol)

The webpage that carries the text you’ve quoted from regarding IDPs evidently relates to a ‘no deal’ Brexit

This page tells you what to do if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. It will be updated if anything changes, including if a deal is agreed.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu-after-brexit-international-driving-permits

Barcobird - 2019-08-13 10:14 PM

aandy - 2019-08-13 9:39 PM

My apologies, I was under the impression forums were a base for expressing opinions, maybe I've got that wrong as well *-)

I think you probably have. My understanding is that this forum is for matters directly related to motorhomes, while the appropriate place for discussion of other topics is Chatterbox. Hence, discussion about how leaving might impact the use of motorhomes goes in motorhome matters, while personal views as to whether it is a good or bad idea are for the other place.

Archived