12 v Electrics

micknhelen

A 12V distribution board having the designation xxxxx DS520 AN is a CBE manufactured distribution board.

I can confirm that a 20A fuse is fitted as standard in fuseway 4 (counting from the left). However provision is made for two designated TV sockets supplied from the same fuse. One outlet is routed via connector 19 pin 4, and the second via pin 5. On my PVC the converter had made provision for connecting a roof vent fan (omnivent) to pin 5.

Due to the lateness of the hour, may I refer you to either the CBE handbook or perhaps you cpnvertors handbook, for details of the connectors and the pin numbers. Inspect to see whether or not, wires are connected at both 19/4, and 19/5. If wires are in both locations, then a second 12V load may be connected.

Other points to consider are possible loose wires in the TV plug, or even one which puzzled me for a while.

This would only apply if your 12V sockets are also CBE, and you unplug the TV after use. There is a design fault in the CBE "auto" or cigarette lighter style socket. The positive connection enters about halfway down the socket, and continues to the remote end UNINSULATED. It is possible for some makes of plug to short between this connection and the negative connection at the mouth of the socket, but it depends on the relative rotational position of the plug and socket. There are two positions where the short occurs, relating to the two side negatve contacts on the plug lining up with the exposed connection in the socket.

My solution was to dismantle the socket. Apply suitable heatshrink sleeving to the offending conductor, and reassemble the socket. Fine until the sleeving wears away! Another solution would be to try a different make of 12V plug.

Alan

Thanks very much for your help. We have found out this monring that the fuse in question also provdes 12V power to the cooker, even though the dealers "guide" did not say so, something to do with the cooling system. We used the cooker yesterday before we tried to use the TV so it could well be that. Awaiting engneer at the moment.

Thats again

Mick n Helen

It’s not out of curiosity I asked, but because CBE DS520 Distribution Boxes are commonly made for a specific motorhome manufacturer and their capabilities/features are not 100% standardised.

I thought that a DS520 for a Chausson would probably be referenced DS520-TR (TR equalling TRIGANO), but yours has an AN suffix and I couldn’t think what motorhome manufacturer that might apply to.

So, if your motorhome isn’t a Chausson, what is it?

Derek,

As far as I can ascertain, and subject to correction, the AN suffix on a DS520 is a general one, perhaps indicating a standard or basic configuration. Our 2006 IH PVC is fitted with a DS520-AN, so It does not seem that the AN suffix is converter specific. The control panel is a different matter entirely, as ours is a PC200 bearing an IH logo.

To elaborate, our PC200 only has four push buttons to the RHS of the display, these are AUX, and I/O on the upper row, with water pump icon, and master lights icon on the bottom row. There is room on panel for two further push buttons, and I have seen photos of panels fitted with six push buttons. There is dedicated "engine off" controlled output for an awning light, but not a dedicated push button.

Published information relating to the DS520 is scant, there is more relating to the DS300, but this is not all correct.

Alan

I agree with your surmise that an “AN” suffix will probably indicate a generic DS520 distribution box (“AN” = “ANonimo” perhaps?) So - as your motorhome and Mick’s both have that unit - it may be assumed that the features (fuses, etc.) and functionality of Mick’s DS520 are the same as yours.

Regarding CBE control-panels, if Mick’s motorhome is relatively recent, it’s panel probably won’t be a PC200. Rapido nowadays fits PC180, PC320 and PC380 panels, but there are others.

My ‘cheapo’ 2015 Rapido 6-Series motorhome has a PC180 control-panel (which may be generic) with a dedicated push-button for the motorhome’s factory-fitted awning light, whereas the ‘bespoke’ PC100 panel fitted to my 2005 Hobby motorhome had the awning-light button replaced by one that controlled the standard waste-water tank heaters. The Hobby did not have a awning-light as standard, so presumaby a separate switch would have been required if an awning light were to be retrofitted.

This 2016 forum thread related to CBE equipment

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/CBE-PC200-control-panel/40668/31/

and a fair amount of the discussion revolved around pinning down which panels/boxes were being referred to and the make/model/year of the motorhomes involved.

Many ’technical’ enquiries can be difficult to answer when basic motorhome identification details are not provided. The software driving these forums does not have an in-built capability for entering that information, but it can be provided via a forum-member’s Profile. The “ALL FORUM MEMBERS - PLEASE READ” entry at the top of this forum’s homepage describes how to do this.

Archived