Tapeworm treatment for dogs returning to uk

Anniepat

Hi folks - My dog’s 3 monthly worm treatment will be due in September when we are in France. I was under the impression that I could take a tablet with me for the French Vet to administer before returning home. My local vet has just said the tablet has to be provided by the administering Vet. I’m sure I’ve read posts stating some of you travelling dog owners have provided your own tablet. As I prepay monthly for flea and worm treatment here I’m not wanting to pay twice. Can anyone enlighten me please.

The below rules from the UK.Gov site

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

"The treatment must:

be approved for use in the country it’s being given in

contain praziquantel or an equivalent proven to be effective against the Echinococcus multilocularis tapeworm"

I have been asked in various vets in Europe if I have the tablet, as obviously some people like to take their own, as long as adheres to the above,

I think you'll find that its not the cost of the tablet that you are paying for, but the consultation the cursory inspection and administration bits, stamps and a signature.

Think you may be talking the normal pet plan type wormer, and flea drops that your vet gives you, this is not specifically for tapeworm as your pets are required to take 1-5 days before return.

I always take my own tablets for the dogs as they are cheaper and the vet will charge you for a tablet. I normally buy drontal off the internet at £1.50 ish a tablet. The french vets I use charge me €15 per dog for the check up passport stamp and administering the tablet. If I were to use their tablets they charge €7 euro per tablet. Each of my dogs has 2 tablets each (1 tab per 10kg of dog). So a good saving.

The problem is to arrange the treatment in a foreign language, some vets insist on an examination, some of using their own tablets, some even an injection! But we usually supply our own.

So prepare an "aide memoire" of relevant phrases, and make sure your pet passports are stamped correctly.

You have to make sure it is done between one and five days before your return.

I'm very wary of some of the replies here, and urge you to look at the government website, as given by Adam. The tapeworm tablet you need is for a tapeworm carried by foxes, which doesn't occur in the UK, hence the need for a vet on continental Europe to administer and sign your pet passport that it's been done. I assume you have a pet passport and rabies vaccination?

Good plan to go in September, come BREXIT if there's no deal the process becomes much more costly and involved.

Guest pelmetman
Anniepat - 2019-08-16 5:12 PM

Hi folks - My dog’s 3 monthly worm treatment will be due in September when we are in France. I was under the impression that I could take a tablet with me for the French Vet to administer before returning home. My local vet has just said the tablet has to be provided by the administering Vet. I’m sure I’ve read posts stating some of you travelling dog owners have provided your own tablet. As I prepay monthly for flea and worm treatment here I’m not wanting to pay twice. Can anyone enlighten me please.

Why do you worm your dog so often? :-S ............

phalange - 2019-08-16 5:52 PM

I always take my own tablets for the dogs as they are cheaper and the vet will charge you for a tablet. I normally buy drontal off the internet at £1.50 ish a tablet. The french vets I use charge me €15 per dog for the check up passport stamp and administering the tablet. If I were to use their tablets they charge €7 euro per tablet. Each of my dogs has 2 tablets each (1 tab per 10kg of dog). So a good saving.

That sounds cheap could you tell me where the vet is.

We used one in Belgium 1st time he charged 8 euros for tablet and doing passport.

2nd time 20 euros all in, but its not worth driving out of our way.

Thanks

stvekay - 2019-08-17 7:44 AM

phalange - 2019-08-16 5:52 PM

That sounds cheap could you tell me where the vet is.

Is that Mailleraye-sur-Seine - they charge that amount ?

If you buy your own tablets be aware that not all wormers containing praziquantel are authorised in France. I once bought some Milbemax ftom my vets, as I had done many times before, only for the French vet to point out that they were a generic Milbemax and so he had to use his own tablets. I hadn't even noticed.

Archived