Cost of LPG conversion

Vernon

I would have thought a proper fitted underslung LPG installation is going o cost you a bit over £1,000 but to change to Gaslow or GasIt refillable bottles is a couple of hundred. My Gasit was £140 in 2017 and the running costs are peanuts. A fill up either in UK or Europe is not much more than a fiver and we get through two/three fill ups a year.

If you want to go the DIY route, I'd thoroughly recommend CakTanks in Kenilworth, they've got all three systems for sale and will sort you out and as long as you're fairly "handy" I doubt you'll go wrong. If you want someone to fit it for you, they'll give you a few recommendations.

I made a 75 mile journey to them having discussed on the phone and the chappie there couldn't have been more helpful in both impartial advice (not necessarily the most expensive bits) and even came out to my M/H and showed me how to do things. CakTanks do both refillable cylinders and underslung kits and all the bits you need. Worth a call IMHO. No connection, just a satisfied customer.

http://www.caktanks.co.uk/

Edited to add, I bought just one Gasit refillable bottle and keep one of the Calor ones for when/if it runs out. Not used it yet but>.............

In October 2018 I had a Gaslow 11kg (approx 21 litres) installation fitted by Whispaire of Romsey. The total cost to include: the bottle, extra gauge, re-route the piping and an external filler was £489.00 Extremely professional installation. We chose the larger 11kg bottle which gave extra space in the locker for the ramps, EHU cable etc.

The 21 litres is quite sufficient for us over 6 week trip and re-filling is not a problem - although I've bought continental adaptors should they be needed.

Since then we've "refuelled" at our local Shell garage, Winchester, with no problems. The only downside seems that the gauge is not that accurate - last week I topped up with 9 litres and the gauge still said "full". I had been warned they are not that reliable.

Previously we had an Auto Sleeper Broadway with the manufacturer's inbuilt tank - again no problems in topping up. The Auto Sleeper though is another story!

Vernon, if going abroad, think about refill adaptors for UK calor bottles, You will get lots of critics for this , but we have done this for 3 years around Europe. Make sure the bottle is EMPTY and then fill to 80% by following guide on all refill adaptors from LPG.EU.

hi vernon

i recently bought the gastit plus 11kg refilable bottle with the fill kit and the propane regulator adaptor with fill pipe and in locker fill piont it cost £230 all in an hour to fit ,or you could get it fitted for you first fill was £12.50 ,equivalent calor would of been £36 its well worth doing,i fill at my local morrisons garage ,best thing i ever did calor have everybody over a barrel.

Archived