Solar issues

burtonwisher

What I don't like about this (and other VSR) is the 12.5V disconnect limit. 12.5V is already on the lower DOD end for batteries such as Varta LFD where resting voltage is closer to 12.9-13V. Not much of an issue if you have a similar starter battery but more commonly it will be a situation where one battery will drain the other until they equalize.

To give a maintaining charge to the engine battery use the Votronic device,

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/product/02e02-battery-maintainers/votronic-battery-master-c8451/C8451

This device is similar to the element in the Votronic dual output solar regulator. Its not a VSR as such, the leisure battery has to be 0.7 volts above the engine battery before there is any current transfer up to a maximum of 2 amps. The actual state of the engine battery will determine the actual trickle charge current and typically this will be a fraction of an amp.

Mike

Just a quick update on this....

I decided to keep the solar panel and purchased a Victron 100/20 Smartsolar unit.

So far, a couple of days in and it's all working perfectly.... providing plenty of charge and keeping the leisure batteries full nicely. I love the app too.

The old PWM charger is settled into its new home in the bin.

I'm going to maybe think about something to trickle charge the starter battery later.

Thanks for all who helped!

Archived