New vehicle taxes, new EU travel restrictions??

longtemps

In these oh so uncertain times, who would want to be a motorhome dealer? I was planning on going to the NEC to buy. Now I may still go, but only to look, in no way to buy. There are simply too many unknowns. I will keep my current van until a modicum of clarity shows it’s ugly head.

I don’t think we will be buying a new motor home any time soon, if ever. We bought ours 5 years ago and it cost £52k which is now about £70k. Luckily the first motorhome we bought really suits us so no need to change. I agree that in addition to increasing cost there are too many uncertainties around.

I will keep my 2014 euro 5 campervan and my 2010 £30 a year road tax Toyota Yaris, Both of which are due for upgrading. But the punitive new road taxes mean that I will NOT upgrade and instead keep them running for as long as possible. Using SORN if necessary to save money. Who would be a Car or a Motorhome salesman ? Self inflicted wounds.

Dont tour in Europe so that doesnt bother me.

Why all these negatives -- some of us remember life before EU and we still travelled, still required green cards and International Driving permits..even visas I think for some countries.

Its no use blaming whether you buy or not on Brexit, its an easy but incorrect excuse. .Things change over the years, sometimes for the better but not always, and we have always adapted..

Its time we looked at the positives, and bear in mind that there was a majority to leave over 3 years ago, and that is hopefully about to be achieved....life goes on!

I just hope the arrangements are reciprocal, and EU continentals will require the same documentation as we will, and indeed as many other countries do.

Keith T - 2019-08-28 8:13 PM

Why all these negatives -- some of us remember life before EU and we still travelled, still required green cards and International Driving permits..even visas I think for some countries.

Its no use blaming whether you buy or not on Brexit, its an easy but incorrect excuse. .Things change over the years, sometimes for the better but not always, and we have always adapted..

Its time we looked at the positives, and bear in mind that there was a majority to leave over 3 years ago, and that is hopefully about to be achieved....life goes on!

I just hope the arrangements are reciprocal, and EU continentals will require the same documentation as we will, and indeed as many other countries do.

Well said Keith. It was never a great problem having to go through customs. Trouble is .... now everything had to be instant!

We are in our 4th year of motorhoming - on our second motorhome, - Not currently thinking about upgrading, current van is about 1 year old, but the tax situation will certainly impact our decision when (and if) the time comes to change.

Worryingly, twice a year at least we take the van plus dog out of the UK and tour Europe, - We've had a great time, the Pet Passport scheme works well, the mobile data roaming works well, we have our EHIC cards etc, van insurance covers us anywhere in Europe for up to 180 days a year.

The possible "dog" situation is a nightmare, with pre-visit rabies tests which are expensive, possible re-vaccination, and then a further test - lots of "possible's" in this, our Vet who we trust simply didn't know, he gave us the best advice he could. We don't agree with Kennels and lack anyone who could look after our pet (who is part of the family) for an extended period of some weeks while we are away.

Our next trip gets us home on 1st October and we don't feel with any positivity that we can safely book up for further European trips, I think it will be a UK stay-cation in 2020 until the picture becomes clear, we do not want to be involved with pioneering new schemes and processes.

In the worse case - there is a potential - small, that we shall give up Motorhoming, - The UK is becoming so difficult with so many car parks with restrictions or barriers, the beautiful spots so over used, look at the Scottish 500 for example. - If the enjoyment falls off for us, we become restricted - we might look to do something else such as buying a static holiday home - more "possibles".

Archived