Maxview crank up satellite system

MikenKath

Hi all,I am considering diy installing a 65cm maxview crank up system, mainly due to cost and there seems to be very little that can go wrong, finding the satellite seems no more bother than achieving a green light on a status 570, I am a satellite virgin so your views will be appreciated.

I'd consider the 85 cm dish if ever thinking of using it out of UK. We have had one on both of our vans and wouldn't consider any other system fitting is easy glue the fixing plate to the roof drill a hole down thru and fitt the controls. After a little practice you'll be finding a signal as quick if not quicker than a auto system and won't be let down waiting for updates or wonder what to do when theres no more updates

A manual satellite system is probably at least twice as difficult to obtain a signal campared to a status aerial.

You obviously need to align your dish both horizontally and vertically. You will need a lot of practice and patience. I used to have a manual dish......sometimes I got a fix within a few minutes and other times it was a lot longer.

The horizontal and vertical angles vary depending on your location relative to the satellite of interest. Best to use a satellite finder in conjunction with the info given on the TV screen. Most beginners have problems finding the correct satellite - there are a lot out there.

A little basic understanding of the technique needed, a decent compass, a map giving a plot of elevation curves, and possessing an inherent patient and systematic approach, go a long way in the success with manually aligned satellite dishes. Lack any of these and like many it makes using a manually set dish a challenging, luck based and frustrating task.

The critical piece of knowledge after starting with using the right elevation is that fortunately “our” satellite cluster is positioned on the far eastern edge of the band of various satellites.

Armed with that key piece of knowledge, if the dish is first placed facing a little too far to the east of that band, at about 140 degrees bearing, then as it is slowly moved to the south, the required cluster will be the first one encountered.

Given both the price saving and the avoidance of a reliance on complex auto technology needed in self seeking systems, I would go manual route

Armed with the info where the sun would be at 12 .00 hrs your dish needs to be left of that position what the dish angle was last time you set it doesn't alter much in UK, You do need to allow for van if off level. If you can see someone else''s dish is good, If a foreign van you'll probably need to be 10° left of it. With this info my wife can find a signal while I'm turning the gas on. Never found the need for any sat finder or compass from day one

I'd recommend a Maxview sat box to go with the system. Sky's sat boxs from my experience are slow to respond to signal so best avoided

I agree with witzend. I have had the 83 cm dish for the past 6 years and have travelled all over France Belgium, east Germany with no problems. Only problem the crank handle snapped off. One phone call and replacement arrived within 2 days. Luckily I was in the UK

Archived