LPG Europe filler adapters

Rees

We have a fixed LPG tank on our Mirage. In the UK LPG is inserted via a bayonet connection (also used in Netherlands and Switzerland. Should I buy adapters for used in Germany and France in the UK before I go to Germany/France or can these be obtained at garages in these countries - either for purchase or just for making a refill of the fixed tank? Advice and guidance will be much valued based on your experience in these countries.

I would personally buy them here they are about a Tenner each im now covered for the Most of Europe with the two I have.

Mind you i dont know whether they are available in filling stations over there because i havent looked ,I suspect not as there filler will be for there country Not a Bayonet.

Pete

Hi Rees,

I carry two other adaptors, French/Italian and Euro adaptor see http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pages/products.htm nearly bottom of brochure.

I am always concerned that if I go to the Pay Desk and ask for an adaptor, they might refuse to let me fill a domestic tank with Autogas.

Never had a problem as reported on some Forums.

Regards Terry

Hi Rees,

If you are going to buy the two required the cheapest place, currently unless someone knows different, is from Autogas 2000 Thirsk see

www.autogas2000.co.uk

hover over Autogas Accessories and click on the Filler Accessories box that appears. You can identify what you need from there but you then have to buy from their shop Autogas Shop that is last on list. Note that all their prices are delivered price to mainland UK.

Edit Looks like they have made it possible to identify what you want from the shop area now!!

Bas

Hi Rees

Noticed that you have a Mirage motorhome. I've got the Mirage 6000 aire auto on the merc 412 TD chassis 1999.

Is yours the same ?

Took mine to France twice last year without having to refill the 40 litre gas tank so don't know if garages supply an adaptor (I've read that some do). Last visit was for 6 weeks (sept / oct, S of F heater not req'd !) and still had gas in the tank. Due out again soon and will fill at Morrisons (39.9 p / l).

Allen

Hi Rees,

I agree with what's been said previously. Obtain your adapters in the UK before going abroad and at least then you'll know they'll fit on your Mirage's tank. I've never checked whether French GPL service-stations will 'loan' adapters to customers, but Sod's Law says that the one you want to get gas from won't!

Basil may well be correct that Autogas2000 is the cheapest supplier, but you could also check with MTH Gas Systems (Tel: 01594 563538) just in case. Caravan Accessories (CAK) also market the adapters, but more expensively.

• 2 weeks later...
Many thanks for all your comments. Most helpful. I have located adapters which can be purchased from Autogas Worldwide (01633 89407 at Bassaleg near Newport South Wales, cost £11 each + VAT) and at MTH Gas (suggested by Derek) at Parkend, Forest of Dean (01594 563 538 cost £10 each plus £.£2.50 post - but they have a small camp site where I can stay with hookup for £5 a night!!). Thanks, Derek for the latter suggestion which is the cheaper and where I shall make a visit in the van to make the purchase. GasLow seem to be more expensive. Again, many thanks for much valued advice and guidance.

I am supposed to set off for France-Italy-Spain in 10 days. I cannot seem to locate a French supermarket (Super U, Champion etc.) on the web. I want to find nearest one to Roscoff to buy 2 gas bottles. Do I need an adapter? regulator? what are these items for? I have an orange coloured bottle connected up on board at the moment. Hymer 544.

Ventoux:

For details of supermarkets near to Roscoff I suggest you visit

http://www.day-tripper.net/channelportroscoff.html

It's hellish difficult to advise you on what you may or may not need to adapt your Hymer to use non-UK gas cylinders without better details of its existing gas system.

However, assuming your motorhome was built reasonably recently and has a 30mbar regulator (surely you know what a gas regulator does?) fixed to the inside of the gas-locker, then there's a 99.99% likelihood you'll need to replace the high-pressure gas-hose. For identification purposes, one end of this hose screws on to the regulator and the other end attaches to your "orange coloured bottle".

If you chose to obtain traditional French 13kg steel gas bottles then you'd need a hose ("lyre" in French) with a suitable end-fitting to attach to the French bottle. This end-fitting is, in fact, the same as that used on a hose suitable for attaching to a UK Calor 4.5kg butane cylinder. Two 13kg French cylinders SHOULD fit in your Hymer's gas-locker (if you are lucky!!)

If you chose instead to obtain a couple of the several (different) smaller French cylinders now available, then you'd need the replacement hose plus a screw-on end-of-hose adapter suitable for the particular design of bottle. The "Le Cube" bottle is probably the most widely available throughout France.

It does need emphasising that, although you shouldn't have too much difficulty obtaining gas bottles from a French supermarket service-station 'kiosk', you won't get replacement hoses from there, you may find that they haven't got hose adapters, and you definitely shouldn't anticipate getting technical advice!

You may also wish to bear in mind that French gas cylinders can't be exchanged in Spain or Italy (though you might be able to get them refilled in Spain).

If you are very unfamiliar with motorhome gas systems, then I strongly suggest you give yourself some breathing space by crossing to France with a full 'orange bottle' and then seek advice later from a French caravan/motorhome dealership about the best way forward. All the dealerships I've visited stocked hoses/adapters.

(Incidentally, if your Hymer is elderly with a 50mbar gas system, or has its regulator attached directly to your orange bottle, then it's a different ball game.)

There is an earlier posting of mine that you might find useful. It's titled "Gas in Europe" and dated 10 December 2005. Easiest way to retrieve it would be to use the forum's SEARCH facility.

Derek

Thank you for that answer. I obviously have a steep learning curve to climb here. I am not really any wiser, its difficult without visual info to look at. Hymer is 1990, I have taken photo of existing bottle and attempt to send it to you. The regulator is connected directly (no hose between reg and bottle) to 6kg Calor Gas Propane bottle, there is space for two bottles but wouldnt think 13kg bottles would fit in there (double the size?).

More worry if french is no good in Italy/Spain ...

Day tripper site is useful. I spent 20 minutes yesterday trying to find supermarket sites to no avail, the internet is useless sometimes.

I will have a look at your previous post.

Mike

Prompted by your goodself Basil , I have now looked at the Autogas2000 site on the www. Yes, definately they are much chepaer than anywhere else, so today I have placed my order for delivery by post. I sent them photographs of the input (square) on my van and Steve from Autgas replied almost immediately by e-mail to give me the recommended adapters to buy for use in German, France and Belgium. The total price, including postage, is £20.05 - much less than anyone else. So, many thanks Basil for your promting guidance.

We just got both adapters from Autogas2000 on Ebay, Autogas LPG euro adapter £10.49 and the Autogas LPG UK filler to 1" 3/4 ACME filler adapter at £6.69 altogether with postage came to £18.45.

It arrived day after we won it, very impressed with service . Thought this might help someone if you are looking.

Mandy

Bought French autogas filler adaptor in the UK over 12 months ago and despite numberous top ups in France, I cannot recall having to use my adaptor! The filling station's own adaptor has been readily available. Mind you I never seem to find the filling- up straight forward and have invariably sought assistance!

Wirralian :$

Archived