Wireless reversing camera

Batman

Any comments as to the efficiency or otherwise of wireless reversing cameras would be much appreciated. I don't really want to drill holes to thread an AV cable through. Presumably I can take the power from the reversing lights.

Product recommendations or warnings welcomed with many thanks.

(lol)

Most of the wireless camera systems available are actually domestic security cameras and not necessarily robust enough for duty on the back of a motorhome. You could power the camera from the reverse light but then you can only use it in reverse, many people who have rear vision cameras find them very useful for rearwards vision while driving. How do you intend to mount the camera without drilling fixing holes in the bodywork? Potential problems include interference form other radio frequency equipment.

Personally I would prefer to fit a good quality hard wired camera and monitor system.

D.

WAECO offer radio modules that permit certain of their cameras and monitors to be connected wirelessly - trouble is I think the cost of the modules is high. (Dave may be able to confirm this.)

The wireless reversing-camera systems I've seen being touted at leisure shows definitely looked 'cheap and cheerful' to me. At the 2005 NEC Show I asked one vendor how I could power the camera if I wanted to use the system as a rear-view mirror substitute. He told me to connect it to the rear lights circuit as, in 6 months time, it would become compulsory throughout Europe for drivers to use lights at all times. Don't you just love it when salesmen talk ********!

I've seen one where the camera power was taken from the rear lights (strange thing is it was a hard wired camera anyway) and every time you touched the brake pedal the monitor picture flickered, same with the indicators. Go for a good quality hard wired camera, if you were planning on running an external wire to the rear lights for power you could run one completely externally up to the cab (under the floor) just as easily.

From a salsmans point of view selling with bu!!$h1t always comes back and bites you in the @$$, which always makes me wonder why they bother.

D.

My camera was connected by wire which was run down the rear seam on the corner & held in place with little ties on adhesive pads stuck to the bodywork.From where it went under the rear bumper it was threaded thro a length of flexible plastic tubing & fixed to the inner side of the chassis with ties then up under the dash somewhere to the monitor.This was fixed by my local mechanic who used the same procedure when he worked for a local bus company.The cable down the back hardly notices being paralell to the seam & its been there now for 4 years ,no holes except the camera itself which cant be avoided,anyway if it was ever removed its a simple matter to plug the hole with a plastic headed screw. ;-)

To fasten my camera without drilling body of van I took a stainless steel strip and clamped one end to a roofbar (which was near the back) and stuck the other end down to the bodywork with strong double sided tape used to fix car body trims on with. I then mounted the camera to the stainless strip.

I ran the cable down the roof ladder using cable ties then the last bit with the stick pads for cable ties, I found that after a short while the sticky pads came unglued so cleaned the pads off and stuck the plastic bases down with white Sikaflex.

No holes in bodywork at all.

Having a reversing camera that is hard wired ( and auto on in reverse) , It is surprising how often I just switch it on to see what is actually behind me in town traffic, ( and speeding traffic as well)

To paraphrase the old saying "It must be a prat, its only a half second gap !

Rgds

Archived