MH parking in towns

Way2Go

Well, in a couple of weeks we take delivery of our first motor home and are very excited about it.  We've booked 3 places over an extended Easter period to try her out.

What we've noticed, after contacting one of the local authorities we will be travelling through, is the difficulty that appears to exist trying to park in towns and cities.  The authority we contacted was polite but said we can only park on the outskirts of town and catch the bus in as all car parks in town had height barriers.

Our MH is 2.79m (9' 2") but we felt like gunslingers having to check in our guns before being allowed to enter town.

We were wondering how more experienced motor homers (doh!) managed when going to a new town or city for the first time?  What procedures do you follow?  How do you avoid driving into town then having to drive round and round searching for somewhere that will accept a vehicle bigger than a 4 x 4?

Any advice would be terrific and will allow us to gain some valuable experience from our friends.

At the risk of starting a stampede, is there any other advice you'd like to put forth to two virgin homers? 

Thank you all in anticipation.

Way2Go

Hi W2G, this is only my own opinion but we usually leave the motorhome on site and walk, cycle or take public transport to visit the local attractions. We haven't visited everywhere as yet and I'm sure there'll be plenty of places where this isn't the most convenient practice but its worked for us so far.

D.

My method, whether in UK or abroad, is to drive into town and look for the main railway station. It's always well-signposted, and there you'll find:

1) at least short-stay parking, usually without height barriers

2) tourist information in one form or another (maybe only a big map on a board, but more often a TIO or a kiosk which will sell maps/booklets

3) somewhere to sit with a cuppa while you plan your assault on the town

4) a loo (if you haven't got/don't want to use your own)

But don't worry, you'll always find SOMEWHERE, so enjoy yourselves!

Tony

Is the 'height fight' still in MMM?

Car park in bedford near river that I usualy use now has barrier, now park in retail park, only another couple of hundred yards but it iritates me council did it, as it was a pleasent spot to wait for the gf to finnish shopping.

We often just park a little way out of the centre and get the peddle bikes out and use them, it's a great way of tootling round towns looking at various bits and pieces without having to do loads of walking, quicker so you see more and also less tiring especially if you buy some goddies and need to carry them back to the 'van with you! A couple of rucksacks with drinks and a choccy biccy in and we're off. (lol)

Thank you for your replies.  It's certainly given us some food for thought . . . . talking of which, at least most of the supermarkets are now 'out of town' and on a bus route.

We could always stock up then pop into town on the bus.

Thanks again.

W2G

W3526602 - 2007-02-24 7:52 AM

Hi,

It has recently come to light that councils (or some) cannot enforce their "no sleeping" signs.

By the same token, could it be possible that they cannot enforce their "no campervans" signs at streetside parking bays?

It all depends on the extent of the powers under which local authorities are acting.

(1) If a council has only obtained powers to regulate parking and has not obtained powers to regulate sleeping (etc) then any ban which they impose on sleeping is ultra vires and unenforceable.

(2) If the land concerned is common land then it may not be possible for a council to legislate against overnight parking - see East Lothian on the Scotland page on my web site for an example.

Graham

Way2Go - 2007-02-24 7:58 AM

Thank you for your replies.  It's certainly given us some food for thought . . . . talking of which, at least most of the supermarkets are now 'out of town' and on a bus route.

Thanks again.

W2G

AND if you are lucky its a free bus trip provided by the supermarket !

Guest starspirit

It has recently come to light that councils (or some) cannot enforce their "no sleeping" signs.

By the same token, could it be possible that they cannot enforce their "no campervans" signs at streetside parking bays?

Its more simple than that.

You either risk a fine or being moved on in the night so if a sign says 'no' or if a town does not want us we just go somewhere else to spend our money - so sod the lot of 'em!

Plenty of places to visit without hassle.

its okay for all you able bodied fit people to talk of walking and cycling into town etc but have a care we are not all able to do this due to our disabilities what do we do so have a care for those who can,t walk or cycle into town :'(

anthony - 2007-03-04 3:49 PM

its okay for all you able bodied fit people to talk of walking and cycling into town etc but have a care we are not all able to do this due to our disabilities what do we do so have a care for those who can,t walk or cycle into town :'(

Hello Anthony,

Probably worth getting in touch with the parking office at the local council for the place you are visiting. They may be able to help you find somewhere easier for you to use. They usually have contact details on the parking pages. If no parking pages use the general contact details.

Graham

Criminal justice and public order act 1994

Powers to remove unauthorised campers

Power of local authority to direct unauthorised campers to leave land.

77.—(1) If it appears to a local authority that persons are for the time being residing in a vehicle or vehicles within that authority's area—

(a) on any land forming part of a highway;

(b) on any other unoccupied land; or

© on any occupied land without the consent of the occupier,

the authority may give a direction that those persons and any others with them are to leave the land and remove the vehicle or vehicles and any other property they have with them on the land.

(2) Notice of a direction under subsection (1) must be served on the persons to whom the direction applies, but it shall be sufficient for this purpose for the direction to specify the land and (except where the direction applies to only one person) to be addressed to all occupants of the vehicles on the land, without naming them.

(3) If a person knowing that a direction under subsection (1) above has been given which applies to him—

(a) fails, as soon as practicable, to leave the land or remove from the land any vehicle or other property which is the subject of the direction, or

(b) having removed any such vehicle or property again enters the land with a vehicle within the period of three months beginning with the day on which the direction was given,

he commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

(4) A direction under subsection (1) operates to require persons who re-enter the land within the said period with vehicles or other property to leave and remove the vehicles or other property as it operates in relation to the persons and vehicles or other property on the land when the direction was given.

(5) In proceedings for an offence under this section it is a defence for the accused to show that his failure to leave or to remove the vehicle or other property as soon as practicable or his re-entry with a vehicle was due to illness, mechanical breakdown or other immediate emergency.

(6) In this section—

"land" means land in the open air;

"local authority" means—

(a) in Greater London, a London borough or the Common Council of the City of London;

(b) in England outside Greater London, a county council, a district council or the Council of the Isles of Scilly;

© in Wales, a county council or a county borough council;

"occupier"rson entitled to possession of the land by virtue of an estate or interest held by him;

"vehicle" includes—

(a) any vehicle, whether or not it is in a fit state for use on roads, and includes any body, with or without wheels, appearing to have formed part of such a vehicle, and any load carried by, and anything attached to, such a vehicle; and

(b) a caravan as defined in section 29(1) of the [1960 c. 62.] Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960;

and a person may be regarded for the purposes of this section as residing on any land notwithstanding that he has a home elsewhere.

(7) Until 1st April 1996, in this section "local authority" means, in Wales, a county council or a district council.

Orders for removal of persons and their vehicles unlawfully on land.

Hi Anthony, I appreciate your problems mate, possibly more than some because from '97 till 2000 I was incapacitated by serious back trouble to the point that, for the last 18 months of that period I was in a wheelchair 50% of the time.

I know only too well what access problems arise, on one trip in '99 we visited a large seaside town in North Yorks. It was absolutely pi**ing down but we unloaded the wheelchair and got directions to the "rotunda" which was quite a way up the hill. My wife pushed me up there in the wheelchair as it was advertised as having disabled access. When we got there the only way in was up a flight of steps! We gave in and went back to the camper which we'd parked on the front. We decided we didn't much care for this town.

A couple of years later we went back on a sunny day and as I was now able bodied we were able to get around easily although we had to park a lot further away. We discovered that Scarborough is a lovely town!

What would you have me do though, not explain how we manage now? There are facilities for disabled people to park closer in to most town centres.

;-)

D.

Thanks again.

W2G

Just one word of caution though - some supermarkets are increasingly putting a two or three hour parking limit on their car parks - obviously to deter people who work nearby getting 'free' parking.As an example, the Tesco at Redcar (Cleveland) hes installed CCTV cameras and notices to the effect that a three hour limit is in force and cars exceeding this will be clamped.As with any car parks (local authority or otherwise) please check the restrictions and conditions on the notices before leaving the van for any length of time.Other than that - welcome to the wonderful world of motorhoming and have a great time with yours.Regards, David

A lot of these site are now run by Europark or NCP. I recently ran foul of the parking restrictions at Monks Cross at York, called in at Sainsbury's spent about 1/2 hour, got number entered in magic list, returned about 2 3/4 hours later to a different part of the shopping complex - to go to Boots Chemist. I am now just on the 3 hour marker and technically have over stayed my welcome. The interim had been spent at York Hospital and I still had the Pay and Display ticket to 'prove' it.

What a farce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B-)

Then I would think you are in your rights to park in a disabled bay if you have a sticker, They dont specify what you can park DO THEY? I would be certainly asking the council of where I intend to park.

david lloyd - 2007-03-04 7:35 PM

Thanks again.

W2G

Just one word of caution though - some supermarkets are increasingly putting a two or three hour parking limit on their car parks - obviously to deter people who work nearby getting 'free' parking.As an example, the Tesco at Redcar (Cleveland) hes installed CCTV cameras and notices to the effect that a three hour limit is in force and cars exceeding this will be clamped.As with any car parks (local authority or otherwise) please check the restrictions and conditions on the notices before leaving the van for any length of time.Other than that - welcome to the wonderful world of motorhoming and have a great time with yours.Regards, David
That is probably due to the fact that at Morrisons next door you have to pay to park and there is no room there for a motorhome. And probablyDave everyone coming in to Redcar has to pay to park the only free park is in Tesco.When we go away we usually find a large supermarket with parking and do a big shop before we go to a site then it is no problem we can carry the odd loaf of bread or pint of milk on our bikes or we take a bus it is easier and a novelty as we dont usually use the buses at home even though we have free bus passes.

maggyd - 2007-03-04 8:51 PMwe dont usually use the buses at home even though we have free bus passes.

I don't usually use the buses on Teesside because I don't have a bus pass :-(

Had to use a couple for a round trip last week - cost me £1 a mile. Bought a bike the other day, it'll be cheaper in the long run :-D

Graham

Hi,

Slightly OT....what happens if I depart from a parking bay (sign says no return within 2 hours) and then swap seats with my wife, and she drives back into the same bay? Is it the car or the driver that mustn't return?

Not that I can ever remember an occasion when I would have wanted to do this, you understand.

The car park machine in Ammanford now requires you to key in your registration prior to getting a ticket. And the WC costs 20 pence.

Archived