Glencoe overnight stay

domforte33

Glencoe overnight stay  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi there, me and my girlfriend have had our first trip to Scotland this week. I have a small VW caddy van that has enough space for 2 to sleep in in the back. Over the last few days we have interchanged staying in AirBnB’s and sleeping in the back of the van as we have travelled through Scotland.

Last night we stopped in Glencoe. We stayed in this car park: https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/markerMobile.php?id=26815

There were no signs with restrictions for overnight stays or camping.

We made our way down to the Loch to eat dinner, stayed in the back of the van overnight, and had some breakfast in the morning. However as we were leaving a woman drove past and took a picture of the van, I asked her what she was doing and she said she was taking pictures of people that had been camping.

I wanted to get some clarification as to if we had done something wrong? We didn’t pitch a tent, we started no fire and we left no rubbish. As the car park had no restrictions I was confused as to why she was taking pictures? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi

Don’t worry about it. Lots of climbers sleep in their cars overnight in the Glencoe area, indeed some of the car parks have donation boxes ( but you don’t have to donate).

It was probably a local who wants the council to put up a no overnighting sign.

We have overnighted in car parks in The highlands just because we have walked all,day and Were too tired to move on. My view if there are no signs and I am not near anyone’s house or causing an obstruction, no problem.

Peter

domforte33 - 2019-09-20 2:13 PM

Hi there, me and my girlfriend have had our first trip to Scotland this week. I have a small VW caddy van that has enough space for 2 to sleep in in the back. Over the last few days we have interchanged staying in AirBnB’s and sleeping in the back of the van as we have travelled through Scotland.

Last night we stopped in Glencoe. We stayed in this car park: https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/markerMobile.php?id=26815

There were no signs with restrictions for overnight stays or camping.

We made our way down to the Loch to eat dinner, stayed in the back of the van overnight, and had some breakfast in the morning. However as we were leaving a woman drove past and took a picture of the van, I asked her what she was doing and she said she was taking pictures of people that had been camping.

I wanted to get some clarification as to if we had done something wrong? We didn’t pitch a tent, we started no fire and we left no rubbish. As the car park had no restrictions I was confused as to why she was taking pictures? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I shouldn’t worry about it. My understanding of lay-by notices stipulating No Overnight Camping in Scotland is that they have no legal standing, (unless things have changed recently). Happy to be corrected on this.

You can always if someone is trying to be particularly officious tell them you had engine trouble.

Hi, we have parked there no problems although a year ago, there are a couple of houses across the stream about 500 yards away, one is a youth hostel i think and one is a private home i think, maybe she is getting annoyed at looking out at campers and trying to get the council on her side, i wouldn't bother about it.

Jonathan

Loch Lomond has a Camping Management Scheme between March and September due to overuse. I can imagine that it being proposed for Glencoe.

If its the same site you stayed at, I was going to park there a couple of years back but it was crowded, used by dog-walkers (well, the evidence was there), so I moved on.

These are most of the points from the Visit Scotland website about camping

"Here are some top points to follow:

Avoid overcrowding by moving on to another location if it's already a busy spot.

Wherever possible, use a stove rather than an open fire. Never light an open fire during dry periods or in sensitive places like forests or peaty ground.

Take away your rubbish and consider picking up other litter as well."

What toileting arrangements did you have?

Archived