Another battery question

weldted

Our new van (Burstner) came with one Varta 95 amp AGM battery. As we use the van most times of the year wondered to add a second one of the same type. Or not knowing how old this one is as although the van is brand new 2019 model don't know how since it was fitted. Or to start off with two Yuasa L36-EFB 100 amp batteries same as we had on our previous van. Remembering Allan from AandN used to comment on the agm's not liking high temperatures.

Assuming the agm is relatively new (new van?) you could add a second and run them until they need to be replaced. AGM might not be ideal but throwing it out while still good doesn't make much sense, also likely to be cheaper to add 1, rather than 2 new ones.

A similar question is asked in the current edition of MMM magazine, with the reply warning that - if the motorhome’s charging system has been ‘tuned’ for an AGM battery - it might be unwise to fit wet-acid batteries instead.

(There will be a date - or a code - on the Varta battery to indicate its age.)

AGM "tune" is unlikely to be anything other than a switch on any charging device. But 237 is still cheaper than 444 (ok, minus whatever you might get for the "old" AGM). But if the AGM is getting old (more than 1 year certainly) then 2 new batteries would make a lot more sense.

If I remember correctly (I’m in a hotel at La Rochelle at the moment) in the MMM article it was the high voltage output of the particular vehicle involved’s alternator that was the concern rather than the battery-charger’s setting. Obviously, if it were just a simple matter of switching the leisure-battery charger’s setting from AGM to wet-acid, there should be no potential risk in replacing the Varta AGM battery with a pair of Yuasa wet-acid ones.

...if it's a Varta LA95, shop around.

I had one from here, after being messed around by another major supplier who, despite advertising otherwise, didn't have one in stock.

https://www.gobatteries.co.uk/product/manufacturers/varta/la95-varta-dual-purpose-agm-leisure-battery-840095085/

Posted simply because it is quite a bit cheaper than the price you quote. There may well be other competitive suppliers (I can find a few) . Do check with a phone call the stock level before ordering (from anyone), however.

weldted - 2019-09-20 9:52 PM............…... Remembering Allan from AandN used to comment on the agm's not liking high temperatures.

Another thing that Allan used to warn about is making sure the charger is adequate to the task of re-charging the enhanced capacity. Too much battery and, in crude terms, you fry the charger!

As your van is a Burstner, I suspect the charger may be by Schaudt, who should be able to explain exactly what its characteristics are, and whether the additional battery capacity necessitates the adding a supplementary charger module.

You may find that you can download Schaudt's technical manual for your particular charger from their website. I seem to remember finding that a number, but not necessarily all, were available. Alternatively, e-mail their customer services and see what they say.

Been advised today that to fit a second battery that I should fit a second charger. Called into Mullacott Caravans Tom certainly knows his stuff. To put a second battery without a second charger could put the original one at risk. Also if fitting a second solar panel just Uprating the regulator may also put the system at risk, better to wire the second panel with its own regulator direct to the battery. This is the first time we have owned a van with this electrical system so being a bit cautious.

Archived