Storage in Portugal

Deffheads

Deffheads - 2019-09-23 9:46 AM

Hi, Has anyone stored there motorhome near Faro, we are looking to store for 3 weeks in April 2020 anybody stored/camped at Vilamoura Rustic Motorhome Aire.

If the idea is to fly home you can use the longstay carpark at Faro airport I think I remember it was CP # 4

or a dutchman does offer secure storage Peter 0351 962682312 with airport transfers although I've no personal experience of his service I have used the airport carpark

bounty hunter - 2019-09-23 4:42 PM Please be aware you will not be insured if you leave your van and fly home

That a worrying thought when we used the airport park there where about a dozen vans their and in all the carparks must of been several hundred cars all uninsured ?

witzend - 2019-09-23 10:57 PM

bounty hunter - 2019-09-23 4:42 PM Please be aware you will not be insured if you leave your van and fly home

That a worrying thought when we used the airport park there where about a dozen vans their and in all the carparks must of been several hundred cars all uninsured ?

I've not looked into car insurance, but many (all?) motorhome insurances have clauses about leaving the van unattended when away from agreed storage area.

Colin. Reading this. i heard from friends of their stolen caravan that the isurance will pay in November. about 4 months later. And if they insure another it must be a New one.That is very Uncommen to cars Who will be paid after 30 days having a replacement car.

Deffheads - 2019-09-24 10:04 PM

Thanks for the heads up about insurance, but I was not asking about that in the original post. I was trying to find a secure storage for next year near Faro. As for parking at an airport, no thankyou,

Fair comment , my insurance company [ Aviva via Comfort ] policy clearly states that if my van is left for more than 48 hours unattended any where overnight other than my stated storage place, in my case on my home property drive, it is uninsured ,

• 1 month later...
vindiboy - 2019-09-25 11:40 AM

Deffheads - 2019-09-24 10:04 PM

Thanks for the heads up about insurance, but I was not asking about that in the original post. I was trying to find a secure storage for next year near Faro. As for parking at an airport, no thankyou,

Fair comment , my insurance company [ Aviva via Comfort ] policy clearly states that if my van is left for more than 48 hours unattended any where overnight other than my stated storage place, in my case on my home property drive, it is uninsured ,

Yes, but it is possible to negotiate to extend cover, even with Comfort. But obviously it will require an additional premium to be paid. And Comfort/Aviva would need to be agreeable to the storage security arrangements.

I was with Comfort for 8 years before deciding I wanted to have my van garaged at Alicante for the winter months, so we could fly backwards and forwards to use it in Spain. Taking there in October and returning the van to the UK March/April.

After much discussion, Comfort agreed, but wanted triple the normal premium and wanted to know the precise dates it would be in storage in Spain. After much searching around I found an alternative insurer that was happy to provide the cover I required, at a premium only marginally more than I'd been paying Comfort for 8 years.

We're into our second winter with such an arrangemen and it works aextremely well. But of course of no assistance to the OP, who is seeking secure storage near Faro.

Archived