spain

lezdaw

we want to go spain ,portmouth to bilbao taking dogs,[ is this the best way] if any one has been, what was it like ,we also have macaw going with us.

all of them have pet passports/ heath papers. we have motohome with lots room . info? on places to places to stay ,we hope look at houses,

to rent or buy

I personally would always do Dover/Dunkerque or similar. I cannot justify the extra expense of going to Bilbao. Also, it means we're only away from our dog for the two hour crossing and he's more than happy staying in our MH.

We've been to England twice in the last year from our home in Valencia. The total fuel costs for the two trips have been 500€ and 440€. The ferry 87€ and 117€. The fuel includes going to Oxfordshire the first trip and Torquay the second.

We don't use toll roads and we stay at aires in France.

I agree with Derek I always travel via Dover even though we live just up the road from Portsmouth in Southampton, it's only just over an hour crossing to Calais and the difference in cost is colossal the only down side is of course a lot more driving.

Regards Pat

lezdaw - 2007-02-25 12:02 PM

will the dogs need to see vet in dover .

can anyone help with route across france ,any stops that will have dogs

we will move to spain when house sold,

You don't need to visit a vet leaving the UK, you just need up to date pet passports.

It's when you return to the UK that you need to go, between 24 and 48 hours of before leaving mainland Europe.

Where in Spain will you be looking? Do you want a toll free route? Will you be staying in Aires or Campsites? How many days to cover the journey? etc. etc.

We've got a property about 30/40 mins north of Granada. Lovely countryside mainly olive groves. Bought there in a typical spanish town of about 8000 people and probably only a handful of expats. Alcala la Real, Alcaudete and Martos are becoming more popular now that they've been on A Place in the Sun recently but prices are still very reasonable and only hour and a half away from the Costa Tropical (Salobrena) Not wall concrete like Torrox or further east towards Torre or Fuengirola (spit)

Instead of going through all that palaver with your dogs, go to Granada and pick up a stray.

There are plenty of them wandering around.

When we were on way back from there in Jan, met a couple of French Ladies (?) who had befriended a stray from Granada.

Lovely pup, with wonky ear and full of fleas. They took him to vet and paid for treatment before heading to France and a new home for one stray dog.

Hi Lesdaw

Which ferry company takes dogs on the Bilbao route? Last time I enquired they wouldn't take them.

There is no access to the car deck usually during travel so the dogs have to spend a long time locked up if they aren't providing kennels on deck or something.

Pat

Lesley, For troglodyte cave houses(and a trog hotel!) try Guadix, approx 30 miles east of Granada on the N342.

A real gem of a campsite is Camping Granada, at Peligros, near the Granada end of the same road. Open until mid October normally. Steeply terraced so not suitable for very large outfits.

Have fun.

On finding vets for the treatment required to bring pets back to the UK a good source is the french yellow pages.

www.pagesjaune.fr

we have used various vets over the years but it all depends on your route and ferry port etc.

We have used:

Forges-les-Eaux, Normandy (an aire with hook-up and walkable to vets)

Nort sur Erdre (also aires and walkable but a bit further than the above)

Montreuil Bellay (also has an aires and 5/10 min walk away)

Calais has some but we haven't used them but address in yellow pages. We tend to use a vet within a days drive of the port.

SOMEWHERE I have read about a company providing kennel accommodation and a special "pet area" for channel crossings. I cannot now find out where I read it but am sure I did not dream it !

We have used the (now abandoned) P&O crossing Portsmouth to Le Havre both daytime and overnight with our dog without problem. For obvious reasons go sparingly with the food and water for some hours before boarding.

Like other respondents above, we do however favour the Dover / Calais crossing for economy and speed.

Incidentally just booked Sea France,out 21 Mar at 22.30,return 26April at 0645 for 2 adults and dog for £63.00.

Archived