Over 70’s C1 entitlement expiry date

Roamer

I applied for my over 70’s licence and on its return discovered it did not run to the day before my 73 birthday. After being told that this is the way it is, by customer services, I decided to return my license to the correction department with the covering letter below

I am returning my renewed “at 70” license for correction due to the fact that I have not been issued with the full three years entitlement from my 70th birthday. The expiry date should be dd.09.2022 not nn.07.2022. I sent my application to renew my license, including the medical examination report so as to retain my C1 category, two months ahead of my birthday to ensure that if there were any problems they could be rectified before my 70th birthday to avoid a break in the license. Apparently the three year period has been calculated base on the date the DVLA processed the application not from the expiry date of my original (pre 70) license.

Thanking you in advance for rectifying this

My license was returned corrected.

We checked my wife's “over 70’s” license which was renewed almost a year ago and this week, after a 5 week wait, it has also been sent back corrected.

If you have an “over 70’s” license that does not run to the day before your 73rd , 76th etc. birthday and your medical report was valid on your 70th , 73rd etc birthday respectively then I would suggest you send it back to the corrections department – DVLA , Swansea, SA99 1BN

Thank you for that valuable info. I just sent my application in over the weekend and noted my DOB was not used by DVLA when they issued it 3 years ago. So with your information I have just been onto DVLA to have it corrected with this new renewal application, and they said "No Problems it will be done".....Thanks

I am fully aware of this statement but took issue with the DVLA as when applying for an "over 70's" license that does not retain C1 (no medical), the expiry date is always set to the day before the 73rd 76th etc birthday irrespective of the issue date and not for a further 3 years from the issue date.

I could not see why retaining C1 should be any different. If the license was processed on my 70th birthday (the day after the expiry date of the existing license) everything would be correct so I could see no reason why my license could not be corrected as my medical was valid for at least a month after my birthday.

Customer Services gave various reasons to my wife why they can not issue the license with the appropriate expiry date, all of which held little validity, eventually saying it was due to the EU. They could not effectively explain why a license without C1 could be issued to run for the full three years after the 70th birthday but one with C1 could not. The three years validity of an "over 70's" license must be from your 70th birthday not from the issue date whilst you are 69.

I sent my license back to see if it would be changed and was pleasantly surprised when it came back corrected, we then tried my wife's which was also changed.

Interesting thread, thanks for posting.

I lost 62 days when I sent in my Forms in plenty of time nearly 3 years ago. My Licence is due for renewal in February 2020 and I was going to send in the paperwork on the day before it expired. I thought I might claw back a few days by doing that. In the meantime, I shall now start complaint proceedings against the DVLA in an effort to rectify this injustice. ;-)

Archived