Mifi ?

When out and about in France we use a little white Huawei box with a French Orange SIM which gives us WiFi and Internet connection for four devices. Is this what is commonly referred to as 'MiFi'?

Unfortunately this particular French card does not include use in Spain and Portugal, where we spend our Winter months.

Am I right in thinking that I could just switch to a Spanish or Portuguese SIM card? If so does anyone know the best way to obtain one, preferably pre-paid as I'd like to avoid a contract fot obvious reasons.

Any help would be most appreciated.

I cannot advise on buying sims in different countries, but am sure I have read that people have been able to obtain them without difficulty.

I use a huawei mifi with a three paygo sim and have used it in France, Spain and Portugal without issue but for a maximum of 6 weeks and light use, (no streaming).

I think you might need to ensure that your mifi is unlocked, same as a phone, and capable of accepting any provider sim.

Davy

Given you are based in France I would recommend a 'Free' sim payg €19.99 / month for 100 GB plus free phone calls to many countries. When in Spain you get 25GB per month.

Actually SIMs can be bought at some newagents and yo can use a non French card to pay.

Under EU rules surely your card does include some use in Spain?

I also have a Spanish Orange SIM bought at an orange store -there are many mobile phone stores and a variety of payg offers. Take a passport: if they ask for a Spanish address generally they will use the store address of a local hotel.

Recharging on line is difficult with out a Spanish bank card so I use recharge.com

As already mentioned, your first issue will be like a mobile phone it may not be "sim free" and restricted to your original French service provider.

In Europe I use my Mobile Phone contract and set up a wifi hotspot so I can use my computer if free wifi is not available. I opted for a unlimited use contracted which are quite reasonable at the moment but there are also a lot of cheaper ones depending on your data requirements.

I would strongly recommend the use of a vpn which will offer you protection from others accessing your data and traffic.

Archived