locking fuel caps for peugeot boxer

trishandtez

Can anyone tell me where to get locking fuel cap for my peugeot boxer? sept 06

I have been to peugeot and to a local car spares shop and firstly peugeot offered me one where I had to use my existing keys to use the new cap and the spares shop one didnt fit.

I would like one with a different key after all the horror stories of the fuel cap being stolen on these and then a key made to fit the ignition and the doors.

I would welcome any advice given.

thanks

Hi Tricia,

I am not totally convinced that making a pattern from a fuel cap lock will actually allow that key to start the engine. Each chip key I understand has a unique Key code, some are rolling codes, i.e. changed every time its used, and are marque specific.

I had a chip ignition key cut for a newish Ford mondeo in Minuteman, the key would lock the driver door but not unlock it. When in the ignition, the key would turn but no instrument lights would display, and the starter would not operate.I took the key to a Ford Dealer and the key could not be programmed.

As they don't need a key to break in to the camper, only to drive it away, perhaps it would be worth looking for another type of security, maybe a key operated master switch on the 12 volts, to isolate the vehicle starter.

About third down on Brians page you will find a design for a isolating switch, see http://www.ourwanderer.org/peug14.htm#Battery .

Regards Terry

Hi Tricia,

You've hit he nail on the head it's what we all worry about. There was an earlier thread of mine about listening for your own alarm by using Walkie Talkies.

I just purchased the Binatone Terrain 550 for £29.99. Using one walkie talkie on VOX, and sticking it near the habitation alarm sounder with velcro, allowed me to hear the alarm half mile away today when I tested it.

Regards Terry

The previous is all very well but not all the Sevel keys are chipped, ours isn't nor is our friends, thats on Peugeot Boxer chassis 2001. Clearly for the 06 model they may be all chipped but earlier (up to 04) models may or may not be chipped according to whether it was specified new, both models are mentioned in our handbook.

Those that aren't you can get a blank cut and it will I can assure you start your van. As to how many are actually stolen in this manner I don't know but the feasability is there.

Bas

Tricia,

Go to a local Motor Factors or phone them up,there will be some listed in your yellow pages. Get them to order you a locking Fuel cap,

the normal places like Halfords seldom keep stocks for any vehicle that isnt

'main stream'. The key will be differant but thats what you are looking for isn't it? For a 'Physical interior' lock have a look at these:

https://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=37890&id=47802

I have fitted 3,two on the cab doors and one inside the habitation door,

I think they are great,and they don't cost a fortune. :D

Hello Basil,

I have a Boxer (02) and I have been assured that the key is not chipped. Anyone reading this should NOT buy the Fiamma replacement for Boxer as it does not fit and soon falls off. Unfortunately my M/H dealer will not return special order items for credit so I am stuck with it.

Mike

Sorry, my above post does not make sense unless I state that on the way to the M/H dealer to collect filler cap I called in to a local auto electricians and was given the information. I should have gone there two weeks earlier. I was originally alerted by magazine and Internet information.

Mike

thanks Ray

I will do that but how did you fit the domestic locks from screwfix on your van. I have looked at the link to screwfix and thay are domesctic locks for wood or PVC window frames.

also I am gathering from this thread that as the boxer is sept 06 the keys will be chipped and therefore making it impossible to duplicate the key to be used on the van door and as we have an alarm anyway stops it from getting drivewn away?

thanks to all that replied giving me help. i always find someone to help me on this website.

have a nice summer. keep on "trucking"

Regards

Tricia

Tricia

I think you're into the law of diminishing returns!  Any vehicle can be broken into and no vehicle can be made burglar proof.

You will do more to reduce the risk of break in, by being selective where you leave the 'van than by almost anything else you can do.  From personal experience, this includes looking at the ground around where you park.  If it has glass granules on it, if at all possible, don't park there!

However, that is also the clue to the quickest and easiest way in to your 'van.  No fiddling with locks or keys, just a sharp tap on one of the cab windows with a pointed object, the glass instantly shatters into nice safe granules; gentle push, hand inside, release the door catch, and he/she is in.  Takes literally seconds and, with the door closed, looks like occupied vehicle with cab window open.  Then out via habitation door - all so normal and innocent.

If you want to secure the cab doors against opening, contact Dave Newell.  He'll do you a cracking set of supplementary locks that will work.  You'll still have the broken window to contend with, if you're unlucky, but you shouldn't actually suffer loss of contents unless the thief is really determined, and keeps going on other potentially weak spots until the weakes is found. 

However, that all takes time and thieves generally like to be quick so, back to the first rule, and be selective where you leave the 'van.

Best way to nick the whole 'van?  Bogus breakdown truck and tow it off.  Who'd say the nice big truck isn't helping some poor soul whose van has broken down?

Don't worry too much, it can happen but, thankfully, it hardly ever does, and just being careful where you park makes a huge difference.

thanks Brian for all that helpful advice.

we are most careful wher we leave the van but even then as you say is not foolproof, there are thieves everywhere!!

I will contact dave newell to ask about locks, it all helps I'm sure and hopefully they will go to the next "easy" target, some other poor soul!

thanks again

Tricia

tricia2753 - 2007-02-25 10:20 AM

thanks Ray

I will do that but how did you fit the domestic locks from screwfix on your van. I have looked at the link to screwfix and thay are domesctic locks for wood or PVC window frames.

Tricia,

With the cab door closed (you inside) you find a spot on the cab door next to the door 'Jamb' , on mine it is almost next to the long door 'pull' , turn the metal turnbuckle to engage onto the door 'Jamb' when you are happy with the posistion drill two holes and screw on locks.

They are heavy gauge alluminium and Lockable if required, they do the same job as the more expensive Fiamma 'Safe door guardian' locks.

A picture would be worth a thousand words i know, but the van is back under it's winter cover now,sorry.

The fact that they are domestic locks designed for another purpose is the reason that they are so cheap.That doesn't mean that they are not just as effective at securing a motorhome. Good luck. :D

Terry,

It was from your post that i got the idea of the screwfix locks,i just couldn't remember which thread it was. thankyou very much,

The crazy thing is the Screwfix catalogue is my sometime bedtime reading (sad ain't i ) and yet i hadn't put 2+2 together.

Thanks again . :D

Archived