charging braun toothbrush

teccer1234

my 500a inverter will not charge my braun toothbrush, the only times I've tried it the charger packs up and I have to get another charger, the charger works ok on mains electric, I've been thinking that if I get a pure sine wave inverter will that solve the problem?

I found out the hard way by destroying a couple of chargers. It is not the charger at fault but the inverter. The charger does not like the square wave A.C. that the cheaper inverters output. They run hot and go pop. Try a "pure sine wave" inverter, the charger will run a lot cooler and should last. Many other electronic devices are also damaged by the square wave output of cheaper inverters.

hallii - 2019-10-04 4:30 PM

I found out the hard way by destroying a couple of chargers. It is not the charger at fault but the inverter. The charger does not like the square wave A.C. that the cheaper inverters output. They run hot and go pop. Try a "pure sine wave" inverter, the charger will run a lot cooler and should last. Many other electronic devices are also damaged by the square wave output of cheaper inverters.

I see that I'm not the only one that's distroyed my chargers and as I said in my post that I thought a pure sine wave inverter might be the answer but didn't want to spend out dosh to find that the same thing would happen.

did you try a pure sine wave inverter and did it solve the problem?

Conrad - 2019-10-04 8:28 PM

Sorry folks, but this is a real first world problem!!!

I would say every problem on a leisure motorhome is a first world problem. ;-)

Anyway back to OP, AFAIK all inductive chargers need pure sine wave invertors.

Brian Kirby - 2019-10-04 3:53 PM

Have you asked Braun? Seems the obvious place to go. :-)

only problem with that is that you have to register with Braun first before you can ask any questions and give them your full life history it seems, I gave up after 10 minutes of filling out questions,

anyway it appears that the answer is to get a pure sine wave inverter,

thanks for all your suggestions

Had to get a new Oral B charger last year after the inverter broke it. Forgot all about it on recent holiday and did it again!!

I haven't had any issues with other appliances using the same 600w inverter bought in Maplins over ten years ago.

Sky+HD boxes, TVs, various USB phone chargers and laptop chargers have worked faultlessly.

• 3 weeks later...

What a coincidence, just got back from France, and our Braun charger knackered. Hadn't thought why until reading this thread. I have a 300w charger which is not pure sine, I am thick so didn't realize when I bought it there was any issues.

My question is, all I use charger for normally is Phone, camera, and tooth brush.

what wattage Inverter (pure sine) do I need to buy?

If I want to charge a Dyson battery vacuum how much bigger (more powerful) Inverter would I need?

I think possible can do without charging Dyson if it draws too much from battery.

Any Advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve Kelly

If you ever eat in restaurants or spend an evening in a bar, take the toothbrush and charger with you and plug in there. Takes no more than two hours to charge so easy to sneak it in and get it charged while you wait. Just don't forget it when you leave.

stvekay - 2019-10-25 5:38 PM

What a coincidence, just got back from France, and our Braun charger knackered. Hadn't thought why until reading this thread. I have a 300w charger which is not pure sine, I am thick so didn't realize when I bought it there was any issues.

My question is, all I use charger for normally is Phone, camera, and tooth brush.

what wattage Inverter (pure sine) do I need to buy?

If I want to charge a Dyson battery vacuum how much bigger (more powerful) Inverter would I need?

I think possible can do without charging Dyson if it draws too much from battery.

Any Advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve Kelly

If you only want the inverter to CHARGE the Dyson vacuum cleaner’s battery, I would have thought that a 300W inverter would be sufficient. If you wanted to RUN the Dyson appliance from the inverter (assuming that would actually be practicable) you’d probably need a higher-rated inverter.

Presumably you have a charger for your Dyson vacuum cleaner and you plug that charger into a UK domestic 3-pin socket in a similar way that you do when your phone, camera and toothbrush need charging at home. If so, what are the output data shown on the Dyson cleaner’s charger?

A cursory GOOGLe-search shows that the on-line asking-price of inverters said to be pure-sine-wave type (even low output ones) varies dramatically from a few tens of pounds to several hundred pounds. Perhaps forum members could advise on lowish output genuine pure-sine-wave inverters suitable for device CHARGING purposes that are reasonably priced and reliable.

Thanks for response, we would only use it to charge Dyson not run it.

I have looked on the charger, I don't think they had expected anyone to want to read it as the printing is so small.

Input 100-240v 50/60HZ 0.6a

Output 26.1av -- 780ma

I think that's what it reads!

For what it means to me it would just as well be chinese.

Thanks again for help.

Steve

Archived