Electric Hobs

kelly58

We are thinking of buying an electric single hob to use when on a hook up obviously to save on gas.

I have seen a quite compact one at westgate house which is 1500 watts as I am not too aloof regarding hookup power output regarding amps and watts I think there is a formular out there somewhere , anyway would I be eble to use a 1500 watt appliance on the average hookup as well as the other usual appliances as well eg lights / heater / water heater / water pumps

regards kelly ;-)

Hi Kelly58,

Add all wattage up and divide by 250 (rough voltage) and you have amps.

Approx would be lights=100 watts / heater = up to 3000watts / water heater= 800watts / water pumps= 10 watts / TV=100watts/ Microwave = 1000watts. / kettle=3000watts

Campsite supplies vary from 2 Amps to 16 amps.

You can always turn something off while you use another device.

Regards Terry

Kelly

Your 1500 watt hotplate would be approx 6.5 amps by my reconing. We've used one (or two even!) for years and they do save on gas but be aware that they do take quite a time to heat up and obviously are not as controllable as gas. I also have a stainless steel stacking cooking pot, deep bottom pan, shallower one above and another on top that's got holes in to act as a steamer, it's great to use when I need to do something that takes a while like boil a load of spuds and when doing a meal I put tinned spuds in the bottom and tinned peas/carrots etc in the top, or even spaghetti in the bottom, and bolognaise sauce above.

Our cooker has one electric plate and three gas burners and I use the electric one all the time I even did away with the electric kettle and use a whistling kettle. It doesnt take a long time to boil but I always play on the safe side and never have more than one heating element on at the same time in case knocks the electric off i.e. hair dryer or electric tongs.

Terrytraveller - 2007-02-24 3:32 PM Hi Kelly58, Add all wattage up and divide by 250 (rough voltage) and you have amps. Approx would be lights=100 watts / heater = up to 3000watts / water heater= 800watts / water pumps= 10 watts / TV=100watts/ Microwave = 1000watts. / kettle=3000watts Campsite supplies vary from 2 Amps to 16 amps. You can always turn something off while you use another device. Regards Terry

It would be safer to calculate on 220V rather than 250V, especially if you will be visiting European countries. 

Euro voltages are supposed to have standardised around 230V, which is now the UK standard, but some remain a little below this. 

Watts = Volts x Amps, so Amps = Watts/Volts. 

As you will see, 230V will give a slightly higher amperage: not usually a problem in UK, but it can get a bit critical when the site supply is only 2A!

All your appliances should carry rating plates, on which the supply voltage range and wattage are stated, so checking the actuals is fairly straightforward.

Many electric kettles alone will trip site supplies, as they are generally rated at 2.5 - 3kW (2,500 - 3,000 Watts).  It's surprising how many people don't realise that!  All else as Terry says.

I have never understood why supplies are stated in amps.

As has been stated by others:

Amps x Volts = Watts

Thus

10 amps x 220 volts = 2200 watts

Assuming you are on a 10 amp hookup (which most UK sites are), just think of it as 2200 watts; your combined load should not exceed that.

An easy rule of thumb is to mark - with a dab of paint, or just mentally - those appliances which use electricity to make heat: microwave, toaster, hotplate, kettle, fan heater, hair tongs are the main ones.

Do not use more than one of these at a time, and you should have plenty of spare wattage for other things.

One small thing to beware of. The power rating of microwave ovens quoted in recipe books etc refers to the magnetrons output, not to the electricity consumption. An "800w" microwave will use about 1200w.

Bill h

Got it from a car boot sale, you do occasionally see them around at markets but I'm sure I saw one at Tescos the other week as well. Just make sure it's the one with 2 solid pans and one steamer as a slot seem to be one solid pan and two steamers which isn't much good for putting bolognaise in above a load of spaghetti! (lol)

I looked into the induction hob not long back - see:

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=6039&posts=4

I decided not to bother in the end as the power required was quite a lot and not all campsites would be able to provide a suitable supply so I'd have to take a 'normal' hob with me as well which sort of made it pointless to have an induction one! 8-)

The wattage stated on an elictrical device is relative to the voltage also stated. This means that a 1200 watt 240 volt device uses 5 amps (P=IR)as has been stated by others.

This indicates that it has a resistance from ohms law (V=IR)

240= 5 x R

240/5 =R

R=48 ohms

If the voltage drops to 220 volts the current has to be recalculted

V=IR

220=I x 48

220/48=I= 4.6 amps (to 1 dp)

Note the current has dropped and therefore the power consumed at 220 volts is now 220 x 4.6 = 1012 Watts , almost a 1/6 lower than at 240 V.

Therefore as the voltage drops the power consumed by most electrical equipment (mains or 12V) will also drop.

Just like the energy used to push the motorhome through the air being proportional to the square of the speed, the energy (wattage) used by an electrical device is in general proportional to the square of the voltage applied.

Half the voltage - quarter the energy consumed, however by then most items would not be worth using even if they appeared to function at all.

All the camp sites in Western Australia (Thats where we were for the last 4 weeks) have 15 amp hookups. The aircon in our Winebago took 6.5 amps by itself and the kettle supplied was a 2.4 killowatt jobbie. Plus a domestic electric toaster and 25 amp battery charger for the stonking great battery required to maintain the compressor fridge for just one night.

Some fantastic sights though.

736576096_abus.jpg.6c2fe6c2450390b0e24639bb5caa7911.jpg

Archived