Importing from Germany V55/4 Revenue weight

webpax

Hi

I am in the process of importing a new Hymer from Germany. I'm working through the V55/4 and I'm a bit puzzled by field 24 labelled Revenue Weight (kg). Is this the same as MAM?

Also in the accompanying notes it says:

'You do not need to give the weight if the vehicle is a car or light van, or if it weighs 3500kg or less. If your vehicle weighs more than 3500kg, please give the weight and attach a weight certificate.

The vehicle I am importing has a MAM of 4430kg so it looks like I need to fill in this field? What is a 'weight certificate' and where would I get one?

Any assistance with this would be much appreciated.

Be sure that the documents are ORIGINAL. Contact Hymer what a original looks like. and their paper code. There is only One like us and your beloved motorhome. And have a good insurance during the import transit time. And check all damage out and in and do a test drive before transit and arrival.

Hans - 2019-10-09 7:37 PM

. And have a good insurance during the import transit time.

when I imported my van from Germany the insurance provided by the import plates was only 3rd party, (didn't like that) so I asked the seller if he would drive it to the docks for me on his fully comp insurance which he did, (with a car following us to take him back home,free but I gave the car driver £15) I had arranged with Comfort to cover me from the UK port as soon as I landed.

This 2016/2019 forum discussion may be of interest

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Drive-Home-Insurance-/43525/

As far as I’m aware Comfort Insurance currently cannot provide cover for an imported motorhome until the vehicle has been UK-registered. Comfort Insurance (or rather AVIVA) used to be prepared to offer cover based on an imported motorhome’s VIN-number and commencing when the motorhome arrived in the UK. I could have obtained such cover when I was planning to import a motorhome in 2005, but this option stopped being available some years ago.

“Revenue weight” really applies to the taxation of heavy GOODS vehicles (see link below)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/770275/v149x1-rates-of-vehicle-tax.pdf

If I were webpax I’d enter the 4430kg MAM figure on the DVLA’s application form and ignore the ‘weight certificate’ issue. I’d also insert the appropriate taxation class on the form (Private HGV) even though this conflicts with the DVLA’s advice.

(A GOOGLE-search will show that “revenue weight” is one of the more common things that causes confusion for motorcaravanners and that the DVLA screws up...)

Derek Uzzell - 2019-10-14 7:34 AM

This 2016/2019 forum discussion may be of interest

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Drive-Home-Insurance-/43525/

As far as I’m aware Comfort Insurance currently cannot provide cover for an imported motorhome until the vehicle has been UK-registered. Comfort Insurance (or rather AVIVA) used to be prepared to offer cover based on an imported motorhome’s VIN-number and commencing when the motorhome arrived in the UK. I could have obtained such cover when I was planning to import a motorhome in 2005, but this option stopped being available some years ago.

..)

that well maybe the case now as it was about 10 years ago I brought my van in.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-10-14 7:34 AM

If I were webpax I’d enter the 4430kg MAM figure on the DVLA’s application form and ignore the ‘weight certificate’ issue.

Thanks Derek that's what I now plan to do.

I’d also insert the appropriate taxation class on the form (Private HGV) even though this conflicts with the DVLA’s advice.

I had planned to do that but hadn't noticed any conflict with DVLA's advice. Is there a different taxation class the DVLA specify for a vehicle of this nature?

Forget my “conflict” comment.

When I imported a motorhome in 2005, the advice on the DVLA’s form V355/4 guidance document was that a specific taxation class should not be entered on the V55/4 application-for-registration form, but I note that V355/4 now states that this should be done. So entering “Private HGV” is the correct thing to do in your case.

I guess you know about this...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/757186/motorhomes-mutual-recognition.pdf

and you might want to look at this 2017 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Certificate-of-conformity/47940/

though it might not be up to date now. ;-)

Derek Uzzell - 2019-10-14 2:09 PM

Forget my “conflict” comment.

When I imported a motorhome in 2005, the advice on the DVLA’s form V355/4 guidance document was that a specific taxation class should not be entered on the V55/4 application-for-registration form, but I note that V355/4 now states that this should be done. So entering “Private HGV” is the correct thing to do in your case.

I guess you know about this...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/757186/motorhomes-mutual-recognition.pdf

and you might want to look at this 2017 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Certificate-of-conformity/47940/

though it might not be up to date now. ;-)

Yes thanks Derek, got the VCA form in hand. We're not collecting the vehicle until the end of the month but just trying to get all the forms filled in ahead of the visit to the dealership so there's no unnecessary delays once the vehicle is collected.

Thanks for the link also, confirms my understanding of what is involved in importing a new LHD vehicle from Germany.

I'm assuming that you are already aware of the need to switch LHD headlights to RHD as well as ensuring the rear fog light is on the correct side. Also the speedo overlay so that it reads MPH. I had a bit of a problem finding a garage that would do the work (speedo and lights) on my last import, so it might be worth getting that arranged before you get the van. Hope this helps.

rael - 2019-10-14 7:45 PM

I'm assuming that you are already aware of the need to switch LHD headlights to RHD as well as ensuring the rear fog light is on the correct side. Also the speedo overlay so that it reads MPH. I had a bit of a problem finding a garage that would do the work (speedo and lights) on my last import, so it might be worth getting that arranged before you get the van. Hope this helps.

Hi rael yes thanks for the warning. I have it all in hand. I actually had the speedo overlay from Lockwood shipped out to the German dealer who has agreed to fit it for me. He's also tweaking the headlights and the van has twin rear fogs anyway. The van is booked in for inspection at a local garage as soon as we get home.

webpax - 2019-10-15 9:15 AM

Hi rael yes thanks for the warning. I have it all in hand. I actually had the speedo overlay from Lockwood shipped out to the German dealer who has agreed to fit it for me. He's also tweaking the headlights and the van has twin rear fogs anyway. The van is booked in for inspection at a local garage as soon as we get home.

Thats good to hear! Sounds like you have found an excellent dealer, although all the ones I've deal with have also been very good. Would you mind letting us know who the dealer is? Could be good for a future purchase.

Thats good to hear! Sounds like you have found an excellent dealer, although all the ones I've deal with have also been very good. Would you mind letting us know who the dealer is? Could be good for a future purchase.

The dealer is Durrwang – Morlein of Dortmund. My contact is Björn Wilberg who speaks good English.

https://www.duerrwang.de/sonstiges/export-sales/

My experience with them so far has been very good but of course I haven't taken delivery of the vehicle yet so early days!

webpax - 2019-10-15 8:40 PM

The dealer is Durrwang – Morlein of Dortmund. My contact is Björn Wilberg who speaks good English.

https://www.duerrwang.de/sonstiges/export-sales/

My experience with them so far has been very good but of course I haven't taken delivery of the vehicle yet so early days!

Ah yes, I know the company, i nearly bought a Carado from them in 2014. I lived about 45 minutes from Dortmund. The only reason I didn't buy from them was that a slightly cheaper model came up elsewhere. They were very helpful and carried a good stock.

Archived