Starting procedure

Wingpete

If the battery on m/home is flat and cannot crank the engine, is it OK to jack up a front wheel and turn it, with 1st gear engaged, so as to substitue for lack of starting handles, thus causing the diesel ignition firing principle to work, and start the engine.

I agree - the theory's sound but if you can manage that you can probably push-start the thing and jump in!

I used to keep my Bedford CF (2.3 diesel) at the top of a slope on our back street in Cumbria. That way, when the battery was flat I could roll-start her. Only got one chance though - it was a dead end with a dry stone wall at the bottom!

Had to let in the clutch then depress it again and hit the brake quick before reaching the "wall of death," then either use a neighbour's drive to turn her round or refverse up the hill.

Happy days. Wouldn't dream of trying it now I'm 10 years older!

Tony

The best way is to put the wheelbrace on one of the nuts and turn it like a starting handle. If you can get it to about 400 RPM it should start. You'd better jack up both wheels tho' as if it starts it could bury itself in your house. Let us know how you get on. :D

I just tried the procedure with my motorycle rear wheel held close to the tyre of the m/home, so they actually were in contact.

The bike was on its centre stand.

Started the bike and engaged first, gave the engine a few revs and eased in the clutch.

At first, the bike tended to stall, so revved it some more. Got to about 4000 rpm, and let clutch out fully.

Got loads of rubber smoke so couldn't see what was happening behind me.

Couldn't hear the diesel start up, so stopped the bike and got off to see what was preventing the start up.

Anyone know where I can buy a 16 ins Michellin Camper tyre, and a 18 ins 600 x 850 Bridgstone rear tyre for a Honda Gold Wing ?

:$

The reason it wouldn't start is that with your 'Bike rear wheel going clockwise the wheel on the van would be going in reverse. So running the engine backwards. Try putting the Van in reverse gear and trying again. I bet it starts. Try the other wheel on the Van, as you should always replace tyres in pairs. :D

If I knew how, I would post a piccy of my Goldwing, complete with American baggage/camping trailer.

And there are piccys of a 1800 Goldwing being used as a breakdown tow vehicle.

One in Sweden, which has a folding up towing dolly buit into the bike. And the video shows it at work.

The other version is in China, where 1800 Goldwings are used to haul broken down cars off busy roads.

There also photo's of Gold Wings with trailers, hauling broken down Harley's in USA. Very essential over there.

michele - 2007-02-25 12:28 AM

What with

Dave

Basil

Pete

Bill

tony

Terry .. I just couldn't stop laughing the replies have made a stomache ache tonight .... TC01 is that you .........? :D

Hey, mine was for real - but it was still quite funny at the time (although my lady didn't think so when she watched the procedure)!

And I see the mysterious TopCat has made another appearance ...

T x

I will wait with interest to hear the outcome of the suggestions given for Wingpete's proposed method of starting an engine.

This thread reminds me of advice from my flying instructor some 20 years ago on using the "Armstrong" starter on some aeroplanes i.e. spinning the prop by hand to get the engine going.

He suggested I add the following item to the pre-start check list "Count number of fingers and arms attached to your body." To the post-start check list he suggested adding "Count number of fingers and arms attached to your body, if number is different to pre-start result, do not fly - seek help."

Bob

icelander - 2007-02-26 12:35 PM

Twooks

What type of motorcycles do you prefer?

Rob

well out of date on bikes I'm afraid, but find hogs unnecessarily noisy! and can't stand the whining bikes that most 'kids' take out at weekends and you can hear them for miles.

used to go around with a group who argued interminably about the merits of Triumph v Norton, wouldn't've touched Japanese bikes for anything - who needs reliability, rust-proof, and economical when you can have character they cried.

I still have a senaky fancy for an updated Honda 90 to get about town with, [i know - not a proper bike - but not limited to 30 {v dangerous imo} light safer than scooters that seem to have taken over the commuter lines].

Had a boyfriend who had a BSA engine as a coffee table and another one for a foot rest!! {He probably still has them}

I like the trike that Billy Connolly used in Oz, but you really need the weather to appreciate 'em and they don't help you slip thro traffic jams.

Failed old rocker - that's me - but I always help bikes pass. :-D

B-)

Archived