A ferry to Brittany for Bug 'Uns please

Vixter

We hope to cross to Brittany next month & I've been searching online for a ferry company to take us.

The problem is that Size Really Does Matter (as all us girls already know). Our motorhome (Big Brian, to the uninitiated) is 3.5m high and 8.5m long, to add insult to injury we also tow Bridget on a trailer...

We usually cross Dover/Dunkirk - no problem there as we travel with the trucks.

Can anyone help please?

Vixter

Years ago Brittany Ferries used to run a service called "Truckline" from Poole to Cherbourg. It was only an ordinary car ferry, but "branded" as "no frills," and some truck ships carried the same branding on the same route.

I think they just list Poole-Cherbourg as one of the BF routes now, but it might be worth asking them if any of their ships can take you.

Tony

Guest Frank Wilkinson

To be fair to Tony, Cherbourg may be in Normandy but many people would consider it a suitable arrival point for a holiday in Brittany.

It is right next door after all and if you can't find a sailing to a Brittany port then it could be a good second choice.

Hello,

It depends where you are in the UK.The main ferry operator directly into Brittany is surprisingly Brittany Ferries.I believe there is also an operator called LD line(or similar) sailing into Western Normandy that may be worth a look.

BF have 2 routes Portsmouth-St.Malo and Plymouth-Roscoff.

Both routes are relatively long crossings eg into Roscoff is 6 hours by day and 8 at night(they slow down on the night crossings)

Both French ports are well placed to begin a tour of this region.Our visitors always comment about the lack of traffic so you should have no issues with a big camping car.

Be aware though that BF are notoriously expensive.In summer your crossing could easily be £500 to £600.

BF do carry freight traffic on both routes so you will have no difficulty actually getting on board.

Hope you enjoy your visit

As has been said, the only ferry company now operating UK-to-Brittany routes is Brittany Ferries (BF), and the routes are Plymouth-Roscoff or Portsmouth-St. Malo.

Poole-Cherbourg (also BF) would be a viable alternative, but probably not BF's Portsmouth-Cherbourg route as this is now 'fast craft' only and (I believe) large motorhomes aren't carried. Portsmouth-Caen (BF again) will get you rapidly on to the (toll-free) A84 westwards.

There can be 'special fares' on BF routes, but these aren't normally evident if booking on-line. Suggest you contact the Motorhome Ticket Club as they will know about these and can usually obtain a (small) discount.

LD Lines operates a (significantly cheaper) Portsmouth-Le Havre route, but you are now a fair way east of Brittany. Then there's Newhaven-Dieppe, but that's even further away.

Archived