Varta La95 AGM. Cheaper alternative?

76zedfour

I currently have a one year old single Varta LA95 AGM leisure battery located under the drivers seat with it appears enough room to add another of same dimension. I am aware of the criticism of AGM but I have an EBL119 charger and a votronic solar controller both optimised for AGM so don't expect an early demise of the battery. The battery has worked perfectly up to now and never been drawn below 50% so I am confident it is healthy.

From another post you may be aware I am considering upgrading solar and will also require a 2nd battery. The Varta comes in at around the £185 mark. I have found the 95Ah HLB800 at halfords for £145 and think I could get a trade card taking 20% off this figure making it £116. I believe this is a rebadged Yuasa .The spec looks very similar to the Varta.

Is there any reason I couldn't or shouldn't use this as the second battery?

Yes there is a reason. With one new and one old battery you're just setting yourself up for an early replacement of both. If the difference was a few months I'd say go for it if it's a good deal. But you'll definitely be better off getting two new batteries or simply continue using just the old one until it needs replacement anyway.

Archived