Fresh Water Tank keeps Leaking from Overflow Pipe

paid2travel

...it's definitely a C4002/C6002 (should be the latter).

The shape is completely different to the Combi, and the dump valve is the one habitually supplied with what you have.

It is comparatively rare for 'vans for the German market to be shipped with the additional electric option as standard. You're unlikely to have it, and that is confirmed by the lack of an additional "energy selection" control. (same shape/size as the main control, and conventionally mounted alongside when the option is there).

I shouldn't worry, the unit is quite functional (and supplies 2 litres more water than the Combi ;-) ). I've had a couple of them in 'vans over the years.

As I've posted, I have found a German 2012 Carado price list, and it is clear that the Axxx models for that year (with the exception of the A361) were all specified with what you actually have, though it was effectively beyond market date at that point.

The listing definitely isn't a typo, as the descriptive text lower in the document specifically differentiates the two different types of heating by model.

So, mildly surprising, but no great issue (and the later instruction link I posted should be the correct one).

The price list is too big to attach, but the snip below details the "model dependent" 12 litre C6002 or 10 litre Combi

carado.JPG.b94a7870bb73b99d7b81a33e59f0f92e.JPG

Interesting...

Truma’s electrically-operated safety/drain-valve (the one with the red knob) has been discussed here regularly. This 2016 forum thread contains plenty of useful detail

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Truma-water-dump-valve/45874/

(The ‘red knob’ drain-valve has not been marketed by Truma for some years, so the chances of obtaining a brand new one are pretty small. Truma’s expectation is that, if an electrically-operated valve needs relacement, the replacement should be a FrostControl valve. Alternatively a simple Truma manually-operated safety/drain valve could be fitted instead that would provide over-pressure protection but not anti-frost protection.)

Many thanks again Robinhood and Derek..

After finally getting chance to look at the boiler again, I can confirm it'a a gas only C 6002 heater with integrated water storage (not combi) and without the optional electrical supply, as suggested by you both.

And the frozen safety/drain valve is an electrical Truma Elasi unit.

I also read as much as I could regarding previous comments about this subject from your provided links and must say, as a newbie, was very helpful but at the same time, quite hard going. 8-)

That said, I cant't let you both go without asking a couple more general questions please...

1) Given the age my A366 (2012) and of course depending on how much the boiler is used, and if it's used within the manufacturer's recommendations, how many more years am I likely to enjoy relatively trouble-free-usage of its service?

2) If I chose to use my MH over the winter period, lets say for two months continuous use, is there a way of gauging how much LPG I would need ? ( without factoring in cooking etc)

3) If either units failed on me say abroad, how likely would I be able to find genuine repairs/replacements?

paid2travel - 2019-10-24 12:20 AM

I also read as much as I could regarding previous comments about this subject from your provided links and must say, as a newbie, was very helpful but at the same time, quite hard going. 8-)

...I don't think Truma manuals in general are the best bedtime reading.... ;-)

That said, I cant't let you both go without asking a couple more general questions please...

1) Given the age my A366 (2012) and of course depending on how much the boiler is used, and if it's used within the manufacturer's recommendations, how many more years am I likely to enjoy relatively trouble-free-usage of its service?

2) If I chose to use my MH over the winter period, lets say for two months continuous use, is there a way of gauging how much LPG I would need ? ( without factoring in cooking etc)

3) If either units failed on me say abroad, how likely would I be able to find genuine repairs/replacements?

1. These are reasonably robust units, have been installed in a large number of 'vans, and whilst there have been failures, they are largely reliable. (My own assessment, possibly flawed, is that over the years I've seen less reports of problems than with the newer "Combi" units)

2. This really is a "how long is a piece of string" question. The consumption depends on what you are heating (space and/or water), the ambient temperature, the required temperature, and how long you run it for. Whilst working, the gas consumption will be as set out in the operating instructions (C 6002: 170 – 480 g/h), but that's about the best one can do until you find out empirically.

3. You will find it difficult to source the same dump valve, but should it fail, the newer type (with a removal of the electrical connections to the existing one) would provide similar function and protection. A cheaper solution would be to fit a (widely available) manual drain valve (it has been fairly widely carried out as a modification to avoid perceived issues with "uncontrollable" dumping). It would keep you working, but without the automatic frost protection. As to the main unit, spares are still widely available (I've just checked one of the UK's "usual suspects", and there is no reason why this situation shouldn't be reflected in Europe. Remember, your 'van is relatively young for a motorcaravan, the part is of German manufacture, and there will be literally tens of thousands of these units in use across Europe and expected to give 10's of years more service.

(Don't be concerned about it being "old"; there is nothing wrong with it, Derek and I were simply mildly surprised that they were still in use at that date. I suspect existing bought-in stock was being used up on existing models, thus not requiring design modifications. Incidentally, I did a quick check back over a set of archived pricelists I have, and the Hymer group were also using these heaters in the Hymervan range until at least 2011 - though they had migrated to the Combi for other Hymer-badged vehicles. Your installation is not that rare).

...After finally getting chance to look at the boiler again, I can confirm it'a a gas only C 6002 heater with integrated water storage (not combi) and without the optional electrical supply, as suggested by you both...

Truma introduced Trumatic C appliances in 1994. These were combination air/water heaters and, very quickly, they began to be referred to within the motorcaravan community as ‘combis’. But that was OK because, when a motorhome owner said they had a Truma ‘combi’ heater, it was understood that this was a Trumatic C appliance.

Then, in mid-2007, Truma introduced a new range of combination air/water heating appliances, with the heater lying on its side rather than standing upright. And Truma decided to call this new range of heaters “Combi”. Even at the time it was plain that this would cause identification problems and, ever since, there have been difficulties knowing, when someone says their leisure-vehicle has a Truma combi heater, whether this is a Trumatic C ‘combi’ or the later “Combi”.

So, although your Corado does not have a Truma “Combi” heater, it does have a Truma ‘combi’. But, if you refer to the heater as a Truma Trumatic C 6002, there’ will be no doubt what it is, and you can also apply to Truma for an attractive “I am a Truma geek” badge. ;-)

Archived