Johnson on VERY thin ice

Bulletguy

Johnson is sending out two letters to the EU. One requesting an extension.......but sending it unsigned. The second letter which he will sign saying he believes a delay would be a mistake.

I'm no lawyer but that appears to me to be a flagrant breach of law.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50112924

Put simply: it is not open to a Minister to do a thing (or not do a thing) that would circumvent or frustrate an Act of Parliament.

And this makes sense: there would be no point in having Acts of Parliament if ministers could casually sidestep the legislation.

So, in the context of Brexit, where there is now the Benn Act obliging the Prime Minister to seek an extension of the Article 50 period so as to avoid a No Deal Brexit, this principle means:

1) a minister cannot send a side letter to the European Union saying that the UK does not really want an extension and asking EU to reject the application

2) the government cannot use delegated or secondary legislation (or Orders in/of Council) to rob the Benn Act of effect.

https://davidallengreen.com/2019/09/brexit-padfield-and-the-benn-act/

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its quite funny now after watching Brexiteers and their leader bleating for over three years how they want Parliamentary sovereignty free from the influence of the EU now pleading for the EU to override Parliamentary sovereignty. You couldnt make it up.

Johnson is indeed sailing close to the wind and there are some pretty ruthless lawyers aiming to bring him down. Lock him up!

Barryd999 - 2019-10-19 11:16 PM

Its quite funny now after watching Brexiteers and their leader bleating for over three years how they want Parliamentary sovereignty free from the influence of the EU now pleading for the EU to override Parliamentary sovereignty. You couldnt make it up.

Johnson is indeed sailing close to the wind and there are some pretty ruthless lawyers aiming to bring him down. Lock him up!

Jolyon Maugham QC is already on it. Johnson could be held in contempt.

Maugham and Joanna Cherry are in court on Monday.

It was interesting to hear the views of the people of Mansfield today on Ch 4 news. They seem to have fallen for the lie that is that membership of the EU is the cause of all their woes. Like many folk both for and against Brexit I am tired of it. Whatever happens, in or out, it is not going to affect my comfort or livelihood. For that reason, I believe my opinion should count for nothing. I would support a new referendum if the only people entitled to vote were no older than 40.

Bulletguy - 2019-10-19 10:40 PM

Johnson is sending out two letters to the EU. One requesting an extension.......but sending it unsigned. The second letter which he will sign saying he believes a delay would be a mistake.

Put simply: it is not open to a Minister to do a thing (or not do a thing) that would circumvent or frustrate an Act of Parliament.

And this makes sense: there would be no point in having Acts of Parliament if ministers could casually sidestep the legislation.

So, in the context of Brexit, where there is now the Benn Act obliging the Prime Minister to seek an extension of the Article 50 period so as to avoid a No Deal Brexit, this principle means:

1) a minister cannot send a side letter to the European Union saying that the UK does not really want an extension and asking EU to reject the application

2) the government cannot use delegated or secondary legislation (or Orders in/of Council) to rob the Benn Act of effect.

Your right ... Your "no lawyer" ... Just a sad , lonely keyboard warrior spreading hate ... Leave it to the professionals

Guest pelmetman

WRONG!..........He's sent 3 >:-) ..........

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7592073/Boris-Johnson-sends-THREE-letters-EU-one-urge-Brussels-NOT-grant-delay.html

(lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

pelmetman - 2019-10-20 8:04 AM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7592073/Boris-Johnson-sends-THREE-letters-EU-one-urge-Brussels-NOT-grant-delay.html

You are right for once, he did send three demonstrating to the world what a spoilt entitled prat that he is.

Thankfully Tusk demonstrated total class, acknowledging the only one that mattered. The "unsigned letter" is a hoax and misdirection provided only to give Number 10 cover for its significant climbdown.

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-10-20 8:20 AM

You are right for once, he did send three demonstrating to the world what a spoilt entitled prat that he is.

Thankfully Tusk demonstrated total class, acknowledging the only one that mattered. The "unsigned letter" is a hoax and misdirection provided only to give Number 10 cover for its significant climbdown.

Dontcha mean that climb down by the EU who said they would ONLY GRANT AN EXTENSION FOR A GOOD REASON >:-) ............

pelmetman - 2019-10-20 8:24 AM

Dontcha mean that climb down by the EU who said they would ONLY GRANT AN EXTENSION FOR A GOOD REASON >:-) ............

The EU obviously feel that respecting the sovereignty of the British parliaments decision not to trust a word Doris says is a good enough reason.

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-10-20 8:43 AM

pelmetman - 2019-10-20 8:24 AM

The EU obviously feel that respecting the sovereignty of the British parliaments decision not to trust a word Doris says is a good enough reason.

The EU can read polls to >:-) ...........

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/10/18/two-thirds-leave-voters-say-parliament-should-acce

Violet1956 - 2019-10-20 12:10 AM

It was interesting to hear the views of the people of Mansfield today on Ch 4 news. They seem to have fallen for the lie that is that membership of the EU is the cause of all their woes. Like many folk both for and against Brexit I am tired of it. Whatever happens, in or out, it is not going to affect my comfort or livelihood. For that reason, I believe my opinion should count for nothing. I would support a new referendum if the only people entitled to vote were no older than 40.

I Got involved in a thread by my local MP last night who was getting a right bashing for not voting for the deal so I diplomatically came to her defence. The constituency voted 60.89% to leave mainly down to the northern end of the constituency in Bishop Auckland. Even now after all this time many of them are still convinced like the people in Mansfield that its the EU to blame for their woes also but the North East massively benefits from being in the EU and not only that but it stands to be the worst effected in what effectively is a No Deal Brexit that is being proposed. They really are Turkeys voting for Christmas. I never said that of course but simply tried to point out that our MP is stuck between a rock and a hard place. She knows that Johnsons fake deal will ultimately devastate the lives of many in her constituency but also knows those same people voted to leave based on the false promises of something better from the likes of Johnson and of course the biased media.

A lot of polls show areas like Sunderland and Teesside have swung dramatically from heavy leave areas to remain but listening to some of the stuff on these areas on social media you have to wonder if they are accurate. Only a referendum on no deal vs remain which would hopefully give us a chance to really expose the dangers of Brexit would we find out for sure. It just seems ever unlikely that this will happen. I have no doubt therefore that great swathes of our industrial regions especially the North East will be cast back to those depressing and dreadful days of the early 80s. Brexit really will turn back time there. Tragic.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-10-20 8:50 AM

I Got involved in a thread by my local MP last night who was getting a right bashing for not voting for the deal so I diplomatically came to her defence. The constituency voted 60.89% to leave mainly down to the northern end of the constituency in Bishop Auckland. Even now after all this time many of them are still convinced like the people in Mansfield that its the EU to blame for their woes also but the North East massively benefits from being in the EU and not only that but it stands to be the worst effected in what effectively is a No Deal Brexit that is being proposed. They really are Turkeys voting for Christmas. I never said that of course but simply tried to point out that our MP is stuck between a rock and a hard place. She knows that Johnsons fake deal will ultimately devastate the lives of many in her constituency but also knows those same people voted to leave based on the false promises of something better from the likes of Johnson and of course the biased media.

A lot of polls show areas like Sunderland and Teesside have swung dramatically from heavy leave areas to remain but listening to some of the stuff on these areas on social media you have to wonder if they are accurate. Only a referendum on no deal vs remain which would hopefully give us a chance to really expose the dangers of Brexit would we find out for sure. It just seems ever unlikely that this will happen. I have no doubt therefore that great swathes of our industrial regions especially the North East will be cast back to those depressing and dreadful days of the early 80s. Brexit really will turn back time there. Tragic.

Correction ;-) ..........

The North East benefited massively from UK TAXPAYERS MONEY spent by the EU who would have creamed off billions for themselves >:-) ..........

The only thing that's tragic is the lies you Losers continue to peddle! *-) ...........

pelmetman - 2019-10-20 8:54 AM

The North East benefited massively from UK TAXPAYERS MONEY spent by the EU who would have creamed off billions for themselves >:-) ..........

The only thing that's tragic is the lies you Losers continue to peddle! *-) ...........

Its not as simple as that as has been pointed out to you before. They still benefited from massive amounts of funding that otherwise Westminster would not have spent there.

Thats not the key factor though. The North East is the only net exporter in the UK and relies heavily on manufacturing and sectors that will be the worst hit by Brexit which is why it stands to lose the most. The Governments own figures show that. So why then if Brexiteers were not conned and knew what they were voting for did so many people in the poorer areas of the North East vote to leave? They are not awash with immigrants so why did they vote to leave as did so many other similar places around England? Please dont tell me it was about sovereignty and that its not all about the money as that would be complete horse sh1t,

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-10-20 9:56 AM

pelmetman - 2019-10-20 8:54 AM

Its not as simple as that as has been pointed out to you before. They still benefited from massive amounts of funding that otherwise Westminster would not have spent there.

Thats not the key factor though. The North East is the only net exporter in the UK and relies heavily on manufacturing and sectors that will be the worst hit by Brexit which is why it stands to lose the most. The Governments own figures show that. So why then if Brexiteers were not conned and knew what they were voting for did so many people in the poorer areas of the North East vote to leave? They are not awash with immigrants so why did they vote to leave as did so many other similar places around England? Please dont tell me it was about sovereignty and that its not all about the money as that would be complete horse sh1t,

The maths is very simple ;-) ...........

We are a net contributor to the EU budget by at least a Billion a month 8-) ........

I and my fellow Brexiteers believe charity begins at home >:-) ..........

My mistake :-| ............It's MORE than a billion a month 8-) ........

"In 2018 the UK abatement was £4.5 billion. This means £15.5 billion was transferred from the UK government to the EU in official payments."

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/articles/theukcontributiontotheeubudget/2017-10-31

pelmetman - 2019-10-20 10:23 AM

In that case why do your MPs walk past rough sleepers on their way into 'work', then send £billions in 'foreign aid' to the likes of Jennifer Arcuri *-)

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2019-10-20 10:45 AM

In that case why do your MPs walk past homeless people on their way into work, then send £billions in 'foreign aid' to the likes of Jennifer Arcuri' *-)

Once we leave ;-) ...........

We'll be able to send the EU beggars home, meaning our own beggars will get more handouts B-) ..........

For drugs and the like :-| .......

And no younger than 30....Three years ago I asked a group of loud indignant university students why they were so upset about the result. We won’t be able to live and work in the Eu anymore..they sobbed. Which of you wanted to do that ? I asked. Silence ..they all looked around ...well none of us do ! DOAH. That sums up why you don’t want to give the vote to our young educated(supposed) elite.

I would support a new referendum if the only people entitled to vote were no older than 40.

Bit surprised to hear you are an ageist Veronica.

I got a bit fed up with it all - so I have stopped following all the day to day speculation ( there's rarely any news anyway ) and just dip in from time to time to see what Dominic Johnsons latest moves are.

I too will be unaffected by the result . I live in a "safe seat " constituency where voting is pointless anyway - so I see no chance of me " taking back control " of anything, whether we are in or out of the EU.

:-|

We are a net contributor to the EU budget by at least a Billion a month 8-) ........

"In 2018 the UK abatement was £4.5 billion. This means £15.5 billion was transferred from the UK government to the EU in official payments."

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/articles/theukcontributiontotheeubudget/2017-10-31

That does not mean we are a net contributor to the EU of a £billion a month - because we get other benefits from being in the EU .

You seem to be confusing that with BoJo's 'foreign aid' budget of a £billion a month - which BoJo is trying to increase and none of which goes to the EU. Jennifer Arcuri, for example, is based in the USA.

PS: why do you bother driving down to Spain when all you do is sit in your van typing nonsense on the internet (lol)

jumpstart - 2019-10-20 11:00 AM

And no younger than 30....Three years ago I asked a group of loud indignant university students why they were so upset about the result. We won’t be able to live and work in the Eu anymore..they sobbed. Which of you wanted to do that ? I asked. Silence ..they all looked around ...well none of us do ! DOAH. That sums up why you don’t want to give the vote to our young educated(supposed) elite.

So I'm guessing when you finished university you knew exactly where you wanted to live and work over the next sixty years? It's the loss of having the opportunity to work, live or play in 27 other countries without restrictions that they were upset with.

Fast Pat - 2019-10-20 11:31 AM

So I'm guessing when you finished university you knew exactly where you wanted to live and work over the next sixty years? It's the loss of having the opportunity to work, live or play in 27 other countries without restrictions that they were upset with.

Well blimey if we’re looking at the next 60 years the Eu organisation won’t be around..so irrelevant.

John52 - 2019-10-20 11:28 AM

That does not mean we are a net contributor to the EU of a £billion a month - because we get other benefits from being in the EU .

You seem to be confusing that with BoJo's 'foreign aid' budget of a £billion a month - which BoJo is trying to increase and none of which goes to the EU. Jennifer Arcuri, for example, is based in the USA.

PS: why do you bother driving down to Spain when all you do is sit in your van typing nonsense on the internet (lol)

Also two thirds of any Eu contributions are deducted from the rebate so are actually funded by uk government.

jumpstart - 2019-10-20 11:45 AM

Well blimey if we’re looking at the next 60 years the Eu organisation won’t be around..so irrelevant.

Well blimey if we're looking at the next ten years most of the leavers won't be around...so their views are irrelevant.

Fast Pat - 2019-10-20 11:49 AM

Well blimey if we're looking at the next ten years most of the leavers won't be around...so their views are irrelevant.

Ah but it’s the vote of 3years ago that counts.......until the next one of coarse.

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-10-20 11:49 AM

I doubt our older Forum residents like Brian, Bullet or MalcD will appreciate your hope for their early demise 8-) .........

As for myself ;-) ........

I fully expect the UK to be reaping the rewards of the Brexit dividend by the time I get to draw my state pension in 2024 B-) .........

Archived