Imported motorhome euro plug sockets

webpax

flyboyprowler - 2019-10-23 3:35 PM

I'm surprised about NFU, all we have with them is the van. But hey ho, as long as you get insured.

I've heard that with NFU it's a bit hit and miss depending on which regional office you call. Some seem keen on insuring motorhomes others less so.

webpax

Are you referring to NFU not being prepared to insure your new Hymer on its VIN, or not after it has been UK-registered?

You’ve said that the insurance Durrwang will be providing will be of 1-month duration, so presumably once the Hymer has been UK-registered, it will then be insured via a UK-based provider. Although UK insurance providers generally insist nowadays that a motorhome over a certain value be fitted with an alarm and/or tracker system, as far as I’m aware they usually don’t care if the mototrhome is LHD or ’self imported’.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-10-24 9:16 AM

webpax

Are you referring to NFU not being prepared to insure your new Hymer on its VIN, or not after it has been UK-registered?

You’ve said that the insurance Durrwang will be providing will be of 1-month duration, so presumably once the Hymer has been UK-registered, it will then be insured via a UK-based provider. Although UK insurance providers generally insist nowadays that a motorhome over a certain value be fitted with an alarm and/or tracker system, as far as I’m aware they usually don’t care if the mototrhome is LHD or ’self imported’.

Hi Derek reference to NFU is regarding insuring on the VIN, I didn't really go further with them as to whether they would be happy with insuring once it's on UK plates. We have a reasonable quote from Comfort (circa £630) once we are UK registered. We were with them for 14 years with our previous motorhome and so will likely stick with them for our new van. Comfort do insist on a Tracker if the list price is over £100k with all the extras.

None of the insurers we contacted seemed the least bit concerned that it was LHD or 'self imported'.

Archived