Newbie advice please

K2 Rum

Hello all, glad to make your aquaintance.

After months of debates, my wife and I went to the NEC last week, to look at compact (6.0m) motorhomes.

We now have concluded that a 6m van may be better due to driving, parking issues and the fact ther seems barely any difference in interior space.

Bear in mind typical usage will be weekends, plus longer jaunts of maybe no more than 4 days. We would both like to do European tours maybe once pa just to be awkward too.

I like the fixed transverse bed, and as I'm a cyclist a garage/ underbed store is a must (bike is too expensive and I'd rather not hang it on the back). We would prefer a decent brand with better quality. The likeliehood is that we will look at the used market- at around 35K

Allied to what we saw on Saturday,this seems to get us a short list of Globecar, Adria Twin, Malibu or maybe Wingamm- although we also liked the Dreamer D55

What would be a good place to look as well, is a dealer a better starting point, just like when buying cars?

Loads of questions but we think we need wisdom thrown at us!

Thanks all

Welcome, and good to ask questions before you leap in. Some great posts on this forum about folk buying expensive vehicles and then selling them at a huge loss.

What licence have you got? You need a C1 to drive anything over 3500kg., and the payload (how much you can carry) is critical if under that. Too many companies build vehicles that are overweight before you put your clothes/pots/bikes/water/yourselves in.

Dealers have a profit to make, and big overheads, so private is a lot cheaper. No warranty, but getting a dealer to fix problems can be an issue.

Hire something similar for a week, just to stay somewhere close so you can go back for what you have (inevitably) forgotten.

Good luck.

Useful, hadn't thought of a hire option. Are prices generally easier to haggle over during the winter months? I'm guessing dealers want to shift stuff.

and yes I have a C1licence. Interestingly most of the payloads seem around 450 KG upwards, but a good tip.

Cheers

The question is 'can you get a bike in the back of any of those?', We have a Globecar Campscout(6.36m), and it might be possible to get a bike in the back with some dismantling, but it's not at all practical for two bikes. You can get two bikes in back of the Campscout Evolution fairly easily by taking off front wheel.

We of late have been considering getting a van that will take two bikes in a garage, and aside from the Campscout Evolution it would appear that a coachbuilt or A class with garage under a fixed bed is the most practical, but this raises a problem for us as it means we won't be able to visit two of our favourite campsites.

As for transverse beds, many people are ok with them, but after years of a VW van we hired a WildAx Aurora and gf suffered claustrophobia in the bed.

We love the idea of downsizing to an Adria Twin , but having looked around the 640 models we found them quite cramped compared to our coach built Adria where the bikes live in the garage under the island bed.

No doubt a couple of bikes can be transported under the bed of an Adria Twin 600, but they’ll be have to stored outside once on site and you’d be have to be really careful not to damage the living area of the van with the bikes inside.

Unfortunately so many pros and cons with the variety of different vans on the market.

All the best with your search.

Take published payloads with a pinch of salt. They use different starting points and don't include extras like awnings, spare wheel, solar panels etc. They usually only count one small person, and little fuel or water.

Motorhomes, like their drivers, gradually spread out with age.

Hi and welcome, tour your local dealers and sit in the vans and play with everything, think where you would store all the gubbins we all tend to carry about with us, bikes inside a smaller van will of course mean compromise somewhere else, beware of payloads as stated earlier, lots of vans do not even have a spare wheel, [madness ] to cut down on weight so beware there, water is heavy as is gas and fuel your clothes weigh more than you may think, it goes on and on, only you can decide what is best for you and how you want to spend your time, don/t get starry eyed with the first van you try, do not trust the van salesman, he just wants your money and usually cares not once you leave the forecourt with you very expensive van making a mistake can cost you lots of money as you will lose thousands just by driving off the forecourt.

Take particular care over the size of the bathroom, could you realistically shower in there ?, are the beds going to be comfortable and long enough to stretch out in, does the van have refillable gas bottles fitted, does it have enough sockets and battery power, how much fresh water can you carry, is the cooker and fridge going to suit your needs, does it have an alarm and tracker fitted, sat dish ? how many leisure batteries fitted , and make very sure there is no outstanding debt on the vehicle HPI check, make sure there is no damp present in the construction how old are the tyres, so much to consider but all worth the trouble, ask lots of questions on the many motorhome forums everyone will be very helpful, there are no daft questions so do not worry about that, we all started fresh at one time, good luck with your choice, BUT be very careful of scams as there is a lot out there in the selling of Motorhomes,

Hi - WE WERE IN EXACTLY THE SAME POSITION FIVE YEARS AGO - WE HIRED FIRST / THE FIRST MOTORHOME WE HIRED WAS A WINGHAM - WE HAD NOT APPRECIATED PRIOR TO THE HIRE HOW IMPORTANT IT WAS TO HAVE A SHOWER AND DRESSING ROOM CLOSED OFF FROM THE REST OF THE MOTORHOME - THE WINGHAM DID NOT PROVIDE THIS - SECONDLY THE BED DROPPED DOWN OVER THE TOP OF THE KITCHEN AREA - NO GOOD IF ONE OF YOU WAKE FIRST AND WANT A COFFEE . BUILT QUALITY WAS GOOD BUT THE MOTORHOME WAS OVERPRICED AGAINST BETTER THOUGHT OUT LAYOUTS - WE EVENTUALLY TURNED TO GOOGLE AND SOUGHT 'THE MOTORHOME OF THE YEAR AWARDS ' 8 JUDGES REVIEWED 80 MOTORHOMES IN 10 CATEGORIES- 8 PER CATEGORY- WE BOUGHT THE WINNER IN OUR CATEGORY - A CHAUSSON FLASH @ 7.4 M - AFTER FOUR YEARS OF OWNERSHIP WE LOVED IT - SO MANY THINGS THE JUDGES COMMENTED ON - THINGS ONLY EXPERIENCE WOULD HAVE TAUGHT US WERE SO PRACTICAL . NOW WITH THREE YOUNG GRANDSONS WE SOLD THE CHAUSSON AND MOVED UP TO A LARGER MOTORHOME - I HOPE THIS HAS BEEN HELPED

noble1 - 2019-10-21 6:48 PM

Hi - WE WERE IN EXACTLY THE SAME POSITION FIVE YEARS AGO - WE HIRED FIRST / THE FIRST MOTORHOME WE HIRED WAS A WINGHAM - WE HAD NOT APPRECIATED PRIOR TO THE HIRE HOW IMPORTANT IT WAS TO HAVE A SHOWER AND DRESSING ROOM CLOSED OFF FROM THE REST OF THE MOTORHOME - THE WINGHAM DID NOT PROVIDE THIS - SECONDLY THE BED DROPPED DOWN OVER THE TOP OF THE KITCHEN AREA - NO GOOD IF ONE OF YOU WAKE FIRST AND WANT A COFFEE . BUILT QUALITY WAS GOOD BUT THE MOTORHOME WAS OVERPRICED AGAINST BETTER THOUGHT OUT LAYOUTS - WE EVENTUALLY TURNED TO GOOGLE AND SOUGHT 'THE MOTORHOME OF THE YEAR AWARDS ' 8 JUDGES REVIEWED 80 MOTORHOMES IN 10 CATEGORIES- 8 PER CATEGORY- WE BOUGHT THE WINNER IN OUR CATEGORY - A CHAUSSON FLASH @ 7.4 M - AFTER FOUR YEARS OF OWNERSHIP WE LOVED IT - SO MANY THINGS THE JUDGES COMMENTED ON - THINGS ONLY EXPERIENCE WOULD HAVE TAUGHT US WERE SO PRACTICAL . NOW WITH THREE YOUNG GRANDSONS WE SOLD THE CHAUSSON AND MOVED UP TO A LARGER MOTORHOME - I HOPE THIS HAS BEEN HELPED

Mark,

Please do not use capitals for entire posts as this is considered as shouting and is bad practice.

Thanks.

Keith.

6m is already long enough to be a bit of a parking problem, most bays in car parks are less, but with a bit of bravado and lateral thinking (eg edge of car park where you can push rear end over the kerb) it isn't too bad. But think as well about width. Our van is 2.4m wide, which can be a bit hairy at times, and you can't tell where or when! Worst was on an A road through a valley in the Lake District, which needed frequent near-stops to pass other larger than average vehicles. Going to Isle of Mull next week, single track roads mostly, but with lots of clearly marked passing places, I know it won't be a problem. Height as well to consider - tree branches etc, and some have mentioned if you are over 3m high, you're in the next class up on some toll roads on the continent.

Enjoy!

Conrad - 2019-10-21 8:30 PM

6m is already long enough to be a bit of a parking problem, most bays in car parks are less, but with a bit of bravado and lateral thinking (eg edge of car park where you can push rear end over the kerb) it isn't too bad. But think as well about width. Our van is 2.4m wide, which can be a bit hairy at times, and you can't tell where or when! Worst was on an A road through a valley in the Lake District, which needed frequent near-stops to pass other larger than average vehicles. Going to Isle of Mull next week, single track roads mostly, but with lots of clearly marked passing places, I know it won't be a problem. Height as well to consider - tree branches etc, and some have mentioned if you are over 3m high, you're in the next class up on some toll roads on the continent.

Enjoy!

Hi As regards the potential parking problem.

My van is 6 m long and I have been told on a couple of occasions that as long as all the wheels fit within the parking bay lines they won't issue a parking ticket as it matters not if the overhang is outside of this.

So on rare occasions where there is a wall/fence at the edge of the bay just drive in instead of reversing in.

Pete

Archived