NEC Sales Pressure

Jana

Just wondered if anyone has come across this before.

Visited the NEC as we had seen a very nice new motorhome and seriously thought about changing our van. The Salesman was very nice and spent a good amount of time taking our details, showing us the van again etc, upholstery options etc. He was slightly vague about the possible vehicle options eg passenger airbag.

He took our vehicle details but dismissed the fact our van has an engine upgrade and useful base vehicle option like a passenger airbag, electric mirrors, fog lamps and tried to tell us that these options don't add any value to the vehicle. This is despite the fact that the vehicle we were looking at had a set price but they will only order it with a set of options adding the price by over £1,000.

After our initial conversation he suggested we have a wander about and pop back to see him but wouldn't give a trade in value.

When I went back he still wouldn't give a part exchange price unless we actually ordered the van (with a guaranteed refundable deposit for any reason). Surely before you put your name on the dotted line you need to know how much you need to pay out. Told him we needed to know how much the changeover cost would be but he said this would be after we placed the order. I said we needed to think about it but could always ring him today to discuss it and mentioned that would be the point to discuss any "throw ins" but he said they wouldn't be able to do anything. Needless to say we haven't rang him.

This was a large dealership but won't mention who they are at the moment.

The van is really good and would suit us but we also saw just as we left the new Knaus Van TI and it is so stylish and would suit us totally (only the problem with no oven or grill) so will keep an eye on the reviews.

Would love to know if anyone else has had this sort of sales technique.

Brownhills generally gets bad press from people who have bought and then partake in forums, there are many who are new to motorhomes, therefore are not aware of the bad press. Being the only dealer for a new Hymer, together with the amount of advertising they undertake, then its no wonder they have high sales figures, not that I know that for a fact but one can presume.

From my dealings with Hymer UK and Brownhills, the back room boys, parts service etc are excellent, its the sales and the way they do business that I find off putting. Akin to bomb site car dealers !

I know a number of Forum contributors dont like Brownhills at Newark but I do. As the biggest dealer in the UK and still expanding they are doing most things right and provide excellent choice and top quality facilities. Moaners will always moan! Being new to motorhoming in 2003 when we bought new with no trade in they didnt want to know us so we went to Chelston at Banbury (now Elite Motorhomes). But we had a few warranty problems and going backwards and forwards over 100 miles each way soon wearied us. But when we part exchanged in 2005 we got what we wanted with no problems. Everything was open fair and square. They only added 6% to the trade in so I think we got a good deal. I was with a friend at NEC who part exchanged for new and again no problem he is an ex motor trader and was very pleased with his deal.

The distance to the dealer is less important to us than the service given. Live in the North West and bought from Cotswold MHs and would buy from them again.

The particular salesman was based at a dealership in the North East however which is fine however the lack of a part-ex price. So will definitely not be back in touch with them. Could always try the small dealer in Berkshire who are the only other importer of this make of van. He also mentioned we wouldnt be able to get a certain model but low and behold there was one nearby at the NEC.

People on here are fairly astute at guessing who ;-)

Wills Wagon - 2007-02-26 3:52 PM

Moaners will always moan!

Hi Will, welcome to the forum, I appreciate that you are new to this, and have not had the chance to get to know us much yet, but please be aware that I have had serious problems with Brownhills over the years, not just minor niggles, and I do NOT consider myself to be a moaner. Believe me I have better things to do that pratt around with motorhome dealers. Before you categorise those of us who have made comments about Brownhills as moaners please check out more of the forum postings first so that you are fully aware of the serious problems some of us have encountered, I'm sure then you will see that many of us have had reason to complain. Thankfully I now have a motorhome from another dealership altogether. :-|

As for NEC, or any other show, pressure from salesmen, we've had experience in the past of questionable sales tactics for a variety of dealerships, basically if you don't like the way you are being treated, walk away, it's their loss, not yours.

I think I know who it might be!

We had a very similar experience. We saw a lovely italian motorhome at the NEC (named after a russian dog?) at the show. This was a new model costing about £60,000. We really liked it. At present we have a van and asked about trade in etc. After dismissing all our extras (awning, oxycom, external shower etc) as having no value we asked about choice of upholstery for the new van and factory options. The salesman said "we have four coming in may, two are taken, so if you want one order now" when we said that if we were spending that sort of money we would want exactly what we wanted, he initially said he would see, then after talking to his boss he said he didn't know if they were ever getting any more! So, if you want an italian a class motorhome named after a dog order it now as there are only two left!!

I have always been given a part exchange value from Brownhills at the NEC every year I have shown an interest in a particular van. At this October's show I decided to order a new vehicle and increased their first p/x offer against the spec I wanted (which was very tempting) to a better deal.

Ok, to finish off a bit more, and to include other observations above, here are a couple more thoughts.

As Bertie said, our options on our current vehicle were dismissed as irrelavent and adding nothing to its value. (Special order colour, engine upgrade, twin airbags and loads more)

However he would only sell us the new van (basic price £36,990) with their standard package of cab air, door flyscreen, extra window in bedroom, and cat-1 alarm which totalled almost £2000. Two faced or what ??

Also he was aghast at the mileage on our van, saying it would be difficult to sell, it's only done 22,000 in 21 months, the way he was speaking you'd think it was 150,000.

I think we will keep our van now, its not worth the hassle of swapping.

Archived