Surge Damping

Gerry

We're having a problem in our 1999 Eura Mobil Activa.

There is a lot of surge in the shower, with the result that it constantly alternates between hot and cold water, not a smooth continous mix of the two.

I'm going to try fixing a surge damper to the fresh water feed.

The question is, exactly where would one fit the damper.

Would I fit it between the fresh water tank and the pump, or would I fit it after the pump?

Any help would be appreciated. I've already received three differing bits of advice.

Gerry.

:'(

Surge Damper has to be fitted after the pump, as it is the pulsations of the pump that can cause the problem.

I have fitted one to my Auto-Sleeper. It made a big difference to the water flow and the pump does not cycle on and off as rapidly as it used to. A diaphram pump is fitted and a pressure switch turns the pump on and off.

Hi Gerry,

If the problem has not been a feature of the water system before, perhaps it would worth checking the strainer/filter on the diaphram pump (Sureflo type), or perhaps the pump could do with a new service kit.

When I took the filter/strainer off of my pump after 18 months use, it was almost totally blocked with some nasty greeny black growth and sand particles. Cleaning the filter made a real difference to the water flow.

If you need to replace the pump and it is 30psi, consider upgrading to a more powerful pump, perhaps 40 psi.

Even if the habitation service has been carried out, don't rely on the strainer/filter having been inspected and cleaned. Usually the pumps are fitted in out of the way places and awkward to get at, consequently the inspection and cleaning is deliberately avoided.

Regards Terry

GerrY:

A surge-damper should be fitted after the water pump and as close to it as practicable. And the larger the capacity of the damper the more effective it should be.

What you've not said is whether the unwelcome surging you are experiencing has always been present or has developed recently. If the former, then a damper may help and you might also want to check the layout of the hoses between pump and shower to see if that can be improved. If the latter, then (as Terry suggests) the water pump may need attention, or a hose may have kinked. If there's air coming from the water taps as well as water, then check for an air leak 'upstream' of the water pump.

Archived