Motorhome Fridge

RabE

Hi! Folks I am a Newbie to Motorhomes

Bought Swift Fiat Ducato 2005 but can’t get fridge working

On Electric ok on gas not sure about 12v

Can anybody help

If I had hair I would be pulling it out !

Thanks in advance Rab

Randonneur is absolutely correct the fridges are designed to run on 12 volt only when the engine is running, and that is only to maintain the temperature, they will not cool, so before setting off you need to get your fridge down to the desired temperature. You can run them on gas whilst on the move if you have the approved gas fittings.

Rab,

Welcome to the forum.

As has been said you can run the fridge on gas while on the move.

My advice would be to avoid this potentially hazardous practice. Best if reasonably possible, to travel with the gas turned off at the cylinder. May I point out that it is illegal to have a naked flame on any filling station forecourt. It is not always practicable to stop and switch off fridge running on gas (LPG), before driving onto the forecourt.

Alan

It could be helpful if Rab could say which model of Swift motorhome he owns.

For the record...

Although it’s likely that, when the fridge in Rab’s motorhome operates on 12 volts when the vehicle is being driven, cooling will be restricted to maintaining the fridge’s interior temperature, more modern fridges can happily cool down using the 12V supply. That’s certainly the case with my 2015 Rapido’s Thetford fridge-freezer.

Some countries have no regulations regarding running gas-fuelled appliances (eg. fridges, heaters) in a moving vehicle, while others do. A fridge will often operate satisfactorily on gas while a motorhome is being driven, but there will be countries that have regulations forbidding this practice. If a motorhome has a gas system that provides anti-gas-leakage protection in the event of a road accident and the motorhome’s gas heater is certified for operation in a moving vehicle, there is an EU-wide blanket-regulation permitting that heater to be used while the motorhome is being driven. But that regulation applies only to gas-fuelled HEATERS, not to gas-fuelled fridges, hobs, ovens, etc.

Rab,

You have given the make, model, and year of your base vehicle ( but not engine size).

You have stated the conversion make but not model, so any detailed queries relating to it cannot be answered.

Swift manuals or handbooks are available to online to download.

I do not know what you mean by "relay fuse".

Alan

....for a 2005 Swift, conventionally the fridge fuses and relays are to be found mounted under the large black plastic (Fiat) cover at the rear, central upper of the engine compartment. The part marked 5 in the attachment.

Remove two nuts, lift the cover and there is a bracket or two holding the relays and various fuses including that for the fridge.

2064730985_SwiftFuses.JPG.4ec2269f4f75be7e259768b71de5305b.JPG

Archived