Which kayak

ChrisCM

I’m thinking of getting an inflatable kayak to accompany me in my van on my next European tour. I would think that a mid range, about £300, one would be suitable, but there seem to be quite a few at this price point so any recommendations would be welcome/useful.

Thanks,

Chris

I have a gumotex twist. https://www.bournemouthcanoes.co.uk/productpages/gumotex/twist-1.htm

I doubt for the £300 price bracket it can be beaten although you will need a paddle, pump and possibly a buoyancy jacket so may spend nearer £400

however when I am on the water I see others with the Intex boat which I believe has been as cheap as £60 on amazon and they are having just as much fun as me.

I use mine half a dozen times a year and if i had to buy again I would probably just get the intex. I am sure the gumotex is far tougher, and more balanced etc but for the occasional bit of fun cheaper will be fine

Anything that costs less than the decathlon version will be useless. I've tried some 50€ thing, it floats, but that's about it. Better suited to the role of a kid pool/bed than a kayak. Gumotex is probably the best, but there's a price.

ColinM50 - 2019-10-24 6:32 PM

Sydney1 - 2019-10-24 4:36 PM

Also heavy to carry though but that's probably unavoidable

Are you using heavy air or lightweight nitrogen? (lol)

Nitrogen is all the rage for car racers and of course aircraft tyres :-D

Ours is heavy when deflated and even heavier when inflated :-D

Thanks guys,

Like the look of the Decathalon ones, good prices, good reviews and seem to be constructed of good materials, unfortunately no Decathalons in the West Country! Anyway, be a few months before my Scandinavia trip so I may be go past one in my travels!

Chris

I have a Sevylor Madison and I absolutely love it. Ive had it about four years now I think. Here is a short video of me in it setting off up Ulswater.

Ive used it all over from the Western Scottish isles to the Med and the best thing is it goes on the back of the Scooter.

I got mine from Go Outdoors and here's the thing. They do (or did) a price match so if you can find it cheaper than their store price (which in 2015 was £400 I think) they will match it. I found it online for £300 and with my Go Outdoors discount card I got another £20 off. They come as a kit so you get two sets of oars, a pump and all the gear that goes with that.

Its double skinned, extremely tough and dead easy to blow up. Much easier than the beach toy Intex Dinghy we used to have although I rowed all over Europe in that as well.

I might add that they are extremely stable as well. Ive had mine out in some pretty big swells in the North Sea and off Arran and you never feel like its going to capsize. Just watch the breakers though, once you get sideways in a big breaking wave your stuffed, your going in.

Barryd999 - 2019-10-25 12:21 PM

I have a Sevylor Madison and I absolutely love it. Ive had it about four years now I think. Here is a short video of me in it setting off up Ulswater.

Ive used it all over from the Western Scottish isles to the Med and the best thing is it goes on the back of the Scooter.

I got mine from Go Outdoors and here's the thing. They do (or did) a price match so if you can find it cheaper than their store price (which in 2015 was £400 I think) they will match it. I found it online for £300 and with my Go Outdoors discount card I got another £20 off. They come as a kit so you get two sets of oars, a pump and all the gear that goes with that.

Its double skinned, extremely tough and dead easy to blow up. Much easier than the beach toy Intex Dinghy we used to have although I rowed all over Europe in that as well.

I might add that they are extremely stable as well. Ive had mine out in some pretty big swells in the North Sea and off Arran and you never feel like its going to capsize. Just watch the breakers though, once you get sideways in a big breaking wave your stuffed, your going in.

Thanks Barry,

To be honest I’d read/seen some bad reviews about Sevylors, so had discounted them! But given your experience I’ll check them out in my local Go Outdoors.

Chris

ChrisCM - 2019-10-25 2:17 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-10-25 12:21 PM

Thanks Barry,

To be honest I’d read/seen some bad reviews about Sevylors, so had discounted them! But given your experience I’ll check them out in my local Go Outdoors.

Chris

Well I have a bit of a reputation for breaking stuff and abusing equipment and vehicles and Ive used mine loads. No issues so far.

ChrisCM - 2019-10-25 10:39 PM

Well I have a bit of a reputation for breaking stuff and abusing equipment and vehicles and Ive used mine loads. No issues so far.

Good to know! When checking them out came across the Ottawa, looks like a nice boat!

This one? https://www.sevylor-europe.com/uk/p-236-ottawa-inflatable-kayak.aspx

Sounds good. Looks like its maybe a bit bigger than my Madison with three seats. Also looks like they have improved a few things with raised (kind of suspended I think) seats although I find the paddling position ok on mine. The key is to get the back rest as tight forward as you can so your bolt upright.

Most important tip. Always attach the little red skeg (fin) before you pump it up as you will never get it on once its blown up. (lol)

Pity this weather is now so rotten as I keep wanting to get out around Bridlington bay again (Up on Flamborough head at the moment). Im just not risking battling through the surf and getting an early (Freezing) bath. Its hard to believe that just a couple of months ago I got so hot out there I was diving in to cool off.

Here! That reminds me. I forgot about this. I made this very important health and safety video about how to survive capsizing your inflatable Kayak. Filmed in Germany a couple of years ago. Safety first an all that!

Archived