Renault Master

MOTORHOMER

Hello

Has anyone got the new Renault Master based motorhomer. If so what do you use to convert your headlight beams for continental use. have you found anyone anything such as the plastic protectors that you can get for the Fiat with the marks for placing the blackout pieces. If so where did you get them.

Motorhomer

Hi motorhomer I am getting a new Renault Master soon and to be honest, why do we bother? The world seems at time to be falling apart with threats and bombings and we good British people worry over a bit of tape.

I know if you have a pile up and your M/H is not deemed fully fit for the road then you could be in deep *** but you have to wonder. Im sure someone will know where to obtain them though, enjoy your hols.

Vic

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Yes, but plastic protectors only protect! They don't adjust the beam for Continental driving as far as I'm aware.

Other people have mentioned this site but I have never been able to find any of these headlamp protectors listed. Foglamp protectors yes, but headlamp protectors no.

I suppose the only option is to 'phone them and ask if they actually stock them, but it still doesn't solve the problem of beam deflection.

However, with many of the stick-on beam deflectors, you do get good instructions which tell you just where to place them for differing types of headlights.

I would spend the six or seven pounds on a set and have a look at them.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
vicwo - 2007-02-26 10:50 AM Hi motorhomer I am getting a new Renault Master soon and to be honest, why do we bother? The world seems at time to be falling apart with threats and bombings and we good British people worry over a bit of tape. I know if you have a pile up and your M/H is not deemed fully fit for the road then you could be in deep *** but you have to wonder. Im sure someone will know where to obtain them though, enjoy your hols. Vic

I suppose that the more responsible ones amongst us worry about driving around with our headlamps set in such a way that they dazzle all of the oncoming Continental drivers!

I'm not sure what the state of our nation (with which I agree with you by the way) has anything to do with beam deflectors!

Hi Frank- The headlamp protectors do as they say, protect the plastic headlamps from flying stones ect, they then can have the beam deflectors aplied to them instead of the actual headlamps, which may craze and crack if aplied direct, somthing to do with the adhesive propertys of the beam deflectors. When not abroad they can still be used for what they were designed for, minus the deflector. Regards chas

Hi chas and frank

I am also condiering the headlight protectors for the REnault Master and, if I can get a set from Formula 4x4, I would use tape to mask off the high beam then just use them for our continental trips. I have previously used the stick on beam deflectors but a) at £7 a time five trips would pay for the protectors and b) there is some debate as to whether the adhesive will eventually craze the headlights.

Vicwo

Nice to hear from you again - apart from the safety aspect of driving 'over there' without the beams deflected there was a post not too long ago advising the French police were at the ferry terminal pulling any vehicle that rolled off without headlight deflection evident and issuing on the spot fines. Great source of revenue for the French - I wonder why we don't do it?

Regards, David

Hello

Unfortunately I have had no reply from them. Surprised as they are normally very good. They advertise COVERS ONLY for the 200 - 2004 model but nothing for models after that. Have the headlight units changed since then? The Fiat models do. If you can get covers I would rather stick tape to them than to the headlight units themselves as they would be very expensive in comparison to replace.

Motorhomer

Hi

I have head light protectors from Fomula 4x4. They came complete with stick on tape, and marks on the protector for fitting location.

I have driven a coach to France many times, and never been checked for deflectors. Of the thousands of lorries that go to the continent I have never seen one with deflectors fitted, more likely to travel in the dark than a motorhome. I have not seen a continental lorry over here with deflectors either.

Regards

Hello,

I bought a set of the headlamp protectors for my Ducato from Formula 4x4 advertised as Continental Use. These were exactly the same as the UK Use ones but with some deflection patches in the kit.

The ones they supplied are marked with an area where the patches have to be fitted so you could always make up your own patches. They have saved a light lens breakage twice in 18 months from a large stone and half a brick thrown up from vehicle in front. In both cases the protector just had a graze mark. Well worth the £34 I paid for them. :-D

Regards,

Mike.

Motorhomer,

The simple way to make deflector tape fit any vehicle is as follows:

1. Park van facing a wall on level ground and about 5 feet away.

2. Turn on dipped headlights.

3. Use a piece of card in front of the lights, adjusting its position so that top of the beam on the wall is level right across. (It starts with the lowest beam position on the right for left dipping geadlights - simply carry that position across the wall.)

4. Draw a line across the headlamp along the card edge with a felt-tip pen (preferably water soluble, but if you only have waterproof, you can later remove the ink with alcohol - and give yourself a shot for a job well done).

5. Now use a piece of paper folded to the shape of the headlamp and marked and then cut all round the edges - some folding and sellotape will be necessary. Then mark on this your line - this is your template for future use - file somewhere safe.

6. Now apply white insulating tape to the headlamp glass alongside the line to cut off the beam pattern for Continental use. You can leave this on in the UK as all it does is make a straight across dipped beam pattern. To compensate, you can adjust the headlamp levellers to take your dipped beam a bit further forward. (White insulating tape avoids heat build up like black can cause, and also illuminates so the entire headlamp area is illuminated from in front for safety.)

Hey presto, Done!

Mel E

====

Hi motorhomer

I have just spoken to Formula 4x4 and their suppliers, egr automotive, who both confirm that they only have the headlight protectors for the 1998 - 2004 model Renault Master van.

These headlights are substantially different to the later model master and will not fit.

Looks like it will have to be Mel's answer for any Master owners.

Regards, David

Hello Motorhomer,

May I suggest that if you intend to stick tape to the headlight unit, which is I believe Polycarbonate on the Renault Master, you first check with Renault.

Some tape adhesives will be difficult or sometimes impossible to remove from polycarbonate if heated by the light unit.

Regards,

Mike.

Thankyou to all those who have kindly taken the trouble to reply. Much appreciated.

I am aware of the crazing problem thats why I have posted about getting some for the renault. We are now about to contact Renault but have not got round to it yet. Will post the reult if & when I get it.

Motorhomer

Archived