Advice please

rich fwd

Hi All

Stumbling through the search fields, I don't seem to be having much luck in tracking down a low profile, short-ish motorhome with an island bed layout and only 2 berths (I would look at 4 berths but wouldn't intend using them)

Anyone have any input for me please?

Also, is it just me or are most adverts in the paper magazine a jumble of vans not really in any order (Length, berths, layout etc etc) . It's all somewhat confusing for someone new to this game.

I look forward to your advice

Thanks

What do you call "shortish" ?

I have a Carado T339 - 7 metre low profile island bed 2 berth. It has 4 belted seats, but in standard configuration can only sleep 2, with an option to be able to convert the dinette to a single berth & another option for a drop-down single above the dinette. Same layout available as the Sunlight T69S & the Etrusco T6900QB - different mainly through decor & trim, though detail specs can vary as well. McLouis do a similar layout (Fusion 367), but build quality was noticably lower then the German vans when we were looking earlier in the year + only available with the (payload robbing) drop-down single bed as a standard fit.

I have only had the Carado since the beginning of August, but so far am delighted with it. After 2 1/2 years of problems with 2 different Chaussons, it has been something of a revelation to have had everything work logically and as it should first time & nothing go wrong in the first 18 nights usage. Habitation noise is virtually non existant - no sqeaks or rattles from the cabinets, bodywork or windows, just the hob lid requires a teatowel underneath to damp down the odd noise from there, a sponge behind a shower door stopped a rattle from there and occasionally from the fridge if something moves. Payload is as stated in the brochure & when I weighed it with all tanks (90 litres fuel, 115 litres water & a single 11kg Gaslow bottle) full, 2 electric bikes on a towbar mounted carrier & loaded for a two week tour it was 30 kg under 3500kg and well inside each axle limit.

Short-ish rear island bed vans have their space compromise at the front on the van - half dinettes & using the swivel van seats for lounging seems to be the norm, as there is no room for spacious settees to lounge on. That is the one area Mrs B is not overly happy with compared to the Chausson 610s - I tended to use the cab seats anyway, so not much difference for me. But if she feels the need to "lounge" she has been using the bed - it was checked before purchase that it was possible to sit upright in the bed without coming into contact with the rear high-level lockers (not possible on some makes) & the bedside table is convenient for resting a cup of tea (or glass of wine).

Nigel B

Nigel B

Many thanks. Shortish is under 7m in my books.

I saw an Adria (I think) that had a cassette that slides out to allow for an island bed in a shorter motorhome.

and wonder if they're prone to problems

Thanks for the heads up on your Chausson experience

Enjoy your new motorhome

All the best

Richard

Carthago do Island bed models at just under 7m (6.99m) T144QB, I144QB, and T440QB, I440QB, they are all similar two are A class and two Coach built. Have looked at them as a possible replacement for our van, but island beds are not very space friendly, the 'single bed' versions are IMO a much better layout.

Within a length of 7 metres, quite a few (most?) Continental-European motorhome converters currently market low-profile designs with a rear island bed. For example the Adria and Rapido models referred to on the following links

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/motorhome-review-adria-matrix-axess-600-sc-motorhome/1005933

https://www.rapido-motorhome.co.uk/motorhome_low-profile_serie-6f_656f.chtml

However, motorhome converters tend to be reluctant to build dedicated 2-berth ‘non-family’ models and there will usually be a means (standard or optional) of increasing the number of berths, either by jigsawing together seating to make beds or via a ceiling-mounted wind-down bed (or even using both methods sometimes).

Assuming that Richard plans to buy new, it’s really a matter of setting a budget and then wading through on-line brochures to check what’s available. As far as I’m aware there are no ordered UK listings nowadays that would permit easy identification of those motorhomes that match Richard's preferences.

Rich

Have you tried a copy of Practical Motorhome magazine? (Paper version, not online). They list all new motorhomes for sale in the UK by all of the major manufacturers. The vans are listed by layout. You identify the layout you want then search the listing for a van of the berth/dimensions you seek. Once you’ve identified the model(s) that match your spec, you can go shopping!

Archived