Alarms -Yes Again

eddie123

I am a newcomer to this (very lively and informative) forum and I am interested (as others have been) in adapting either a car alrm or an alarm designed for houshold use for use in a motorhome. I ran a search and discovered the earlier thread discussing Van Bitz V DIY and had a smile at the passion it raised, and certainly don't want to throw oil on the fire but aren't Passive Ir and Ultrasonic based alarms, subject to false alarms when subject to changes in air conditions within the living area due to vans warming up on a hot day asa result or gusts of wind through partially open windows. Would it not be more appropriate to look at alarms designed for convertable cars using the microwave triggers which on the face of it should be good value for money, do a good job and be cheaper than Van Bitz

Dont forget when you fit a proper alarm you get a discount from your Insurers.

Van Bitz work on Radio waves.

Worth the money at the end of the day.

I tried an alarm that was supposed to be for internal use indoors?garge/shed. Fitted it in the shed set it closed up the shed went back later to try it, yes it went off i shut the shed door it was still going if you stood by the door you could just hear it. I got my money back, If you can only just hear it by the shed it aint no good, i want the neighbours to complain because its too loud that way they take notice, and so would the would be thief.

David

Thanks David point taken about volume, but I am more interested in whether PIR or Ultrasonic based alarms are more prone to false alarming. Why can't I fit a car alarm based on microwave sensors (ie the type intended to protect convertables with the top down) This type will not false alarm due to gusts of wind or convection currents. It is not rocket science to fit extra sensors for lockers etc so why should it cost £25 a door?

Guest JudgeMental
eddie123 - 2007-02-28 7:56 PM

Thanks everyone. Looks like it's Van bitz then!!

Err... No!

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=6317&start=31&posts=78

If you read carefully through this previous thread on subject, you will find that it is possible to get just as good a spec alarm system for a hell of a lot less.

It seems to be that when the word “motorhome” is placed in front of a product the price magically and inexplicably doubles

Thanks but yes, I did read the previous thread before posting my question (which no one has actually addressed by the way). As a DIYer of some repute, or so I would like to think, I like the idea doing it myself, with the spin off of saving a bit of cash, but the main thing is that I actually enjoy (sad may be) is doing the work as far as possible my self. I was thinking that there may be times when an alarm would be handy when a widow is deliberately left partially open to allow some circulation of air within the MH say for example on a very hot day. This is analogous to leaving a convertable car alarmed with the top down, this only works with microwave sensors; ulrasonics and PIR based systems would false alarm, hence why I asked the question in the first place.

Hello Eddie,

To try and answer your question. The Strike Back Alarm supplied by Van Bitz and which was fitted to a previous vehicle is, as far as I can see, virtually identical to the Meta M99T2 fitted to my Trigano now. To be fair to Van Bitz they do supply several additional components as options.

Meta price £137.95 and fitted at £325.00 parts and labour and including fitting the radio I supplied. I checked with the fitters and microwave sensors can be fitted with this system but they will cost extra as the Meta unit comes standard with two ultrasonic sensors.

May I suggest that you contact Meta as, since my alarm was fitted a year ago, there have been several new models released.

Hope this is of assistance and if you need any additional info please PM me.

Regards,

Mike.

Guest JudgeMental
eddie123 - 2007-03-01 11:27 AM

Thanks but yes, I did read the previous thread before posting my question (which no one has actually addressed by the way). As a DIYer of some repute, or so I would like to think, I like the idea doing it myself, .

I was not suggesting DIY as most of us require an insurance certificate with the installation.

there are links in the post to THATCHAM etc…

Advice follows as to how to find a local VSIB accredited commercial alarm fitters.

I have had a quote of £350 including PIR for rear, all lockers covered and an external loop for bike rack/ tow bar.

I am not going to advertise the company as I have not taken delivery of new camper yet. I checked on THATCHAM site and particular Gemini unit they use is listed in commercial category and not “car” – just like Van B unit.

As for microwave alarms they will tell you if these are permitted under CAT 1 certification. As for leaving your windows open, well you get what you deserve don’t you…

I appreciate this may strike many of you as a silly question, or even a "wind up", but it isn't intended as such.  However, what is the real reason you all fit alarms to your vehicles?

I ask, because they are expensive and can be failure prone and, from experience, no one takes a blind bit of notice when one goes off - unless it's 03:00, when all your neighbours notice and absolutely no one else is around!

If your insurer says you must have one, aren't there other insurers who don't make this demand - possibly a bit more expensive, but how many years of the insurance premium difference would the cost of an alarm buy?  There is also the little matter of was it set at the time, and possible quibbles over the payout.

Nearly all, if not all, current base vehicles come with high quality immobilisers factory fitted so that theft of the vehicle by "hot wiring" it is almost impossible - to the point it becomes easier to turn up with a "wrecker", winch it on and drive away with it.

Parking in authorised vehicle parks, and being selective about these, eliminates much of the casual break in risk while sightseeing.  Using proper aires (i.e. not ones on motorways or similar) or campsites eliminates much of the break in risk while overnighting/staying in a place.  Travelling the less trodden paths contributes further: fewer tourists to attract the tea leaves.  Using parking places visible from the front of supermarkets, in lieu of out of sight bays, ditto.

Supplementary door locks somehow seem to me money better spent, coupled with always closing the blinds when parked, and generally having nothing on view to attract a thief.  Doesn't stop him/her, but raises the possibility they risk breaking in to find nothing of value, or a sleeping dog!

Of course it won't totally eliminate break in, but then neither will the deterrent effect of an alarm.  Thieves are risk takers and have many strategies to avoid identification, including triggering alarms to see what the reaction is.  If none, just ignore the alarm and carry on robbing as before.  Breaking a cab window takes milliseconds, and allows cab doors to be opened in seconds.  (Why do people think the thief will neatly cut out a quarter light?  Far too slow and obvious.)  Most habitation doors, when locked externally, open from inside with no key, so the thief is guaranteed his second escape route.

Doesn't the sight of a few supplementary locks provide a better visual deterrent than a largely invisible (OK, flashing LED) alarm that no one will take notice of if it is triggered?  The locks still won't deter a determined thief, but he/she'll know they'll be slow getting in, so will probably look for an apparently "softer" target elsewhere.  Risk takers they may be, but they'll still seek to reduce that risk by looking for vehicles in secluded places, where disturbance and detection are unlikely to be much of a problem and, if there is an alarm, just trigger it an watch reactions from a safe distance.

If someone does come, just saunter off, or complain about the noise, or sympathise about the damage, or whatever - who's to know it was them, just leave and look elsewhere for another!  They'd never try it on at all if they weren't bold!  I'm not saying alarms never work, or never deter, that would be just as silly as claiming they always do.  I'm just questioning their real value in terms of cost vis-a-vis efficacy.

So, to repeat the question; why, actually, do you spend all that money on alarms?

But Brian

I am not sure if I could have got money off the insurance with a van costing 22.25K The alarm that I am fitting cost £13.99 plus some extra contacts and connection boxes from screwfix and it will still cost under £20. Besides the main use of my alarm system is when I am resident. It is not to stop anyone breaking in. It is designed to wake me from my nap if my beloved tries creeping out to do `some shopping'. Now that really does save me money!

Best regards,

Rob

Has anyone wired all their door handles upto the mains. On leaving the MH you could connect the supply lead to the mains hook up and on return it would simply be a matter of disconnecting it before touching the doors or any other external conductors. Shouldin't cost too much either. Obviously there would be the job of removing any electrocuted burglars and making a statement to the police.

Ed (in jest)

Guest JudgeMental
eddie123 - 2007-03-02 4:36 PM

JudgeMental what a nice chap you are. I'll get my coat.

NICE! - Damn your insolence sir!

Archived