Christmas and New Year in southern Spain

flyboyprowler

Three sites we have used and would return to. All have a significant UK long- termer presence and the latter two have Club rallies., which might or might not suit you !

Camping Pinar san Jose, on the road between Conil de la Frontera and Barbate. Fairly isolated so you would need a bike or hire car

Camping Roche, again, near Conil but fairly isolated

Camping La Rosaleda, on the outskirts of Conil but an easy walk into town.

Years ago we stayed at Camping Rio Jara , a site near Tarifa with wonderful views to Africa but again, transport needed to get into Tarifa and a dangerous road to cycle there. Very windy too ‘

To add: when you are reading reviews of Spanish look particularly at winter ones. In summer they can be hot, crowded and NOISY and facilities are often very stretched. In winter, except for public holidays, they are usuallly very quiet at night with some facilities closed and often maintenance work going on- which justifies the very much reduced charges.

If you are looking for Christmas then do book asap. They do get busy with long- termers and you cannot rely on getting a pitch at popular ones on the coast. Inland it is a different story and you can often be almost on your own. It is of course a whole lot colder as you tend to be much higher almost as soon as you leave the coast almost anywhere in Spain.

Me again....Camping Las Dunas at El Puerto de Santo Maria is not our favourite campsite but is liked by many and you cannot fault the location. A short walk away is the catamaran across the bay of Cadiz right into the centre of Cadiz: a lovely trip. A good beach over the road, a lovely little town, one of the 3 sherry triangle towns with much to see. I would strongly recommend a tour of the castle in the centre where you have a very interesting sherry tasting afterwards. It’s not open every day and you need to book. Good cycling too.

pelmetman - 2019-10-30 7:49 AM

Blimey you've left it a bit late 8-) ............

I've just booked for 2020/21 ;-) ........

I hate booking, we are just about to leave for Spain/ portugal for about 5 months we will use aires and wild camping as we always do, one way ticket from Calais ,do not need Campsites thankfully , each to their own of course but we love the freedom our way offers us.

vindiboy - 2019-10-30 3:43 PM

pelmetman - 2019-10-30 7:49 AM

Blimey you've left it a bit late 8-) ............

I've just booked for 2020/21 ;-) ........

I hate booking, we are just about to leave for Spain/ portugal for about 5 months we will use aires and wild camping as we always do, one way ticket from Calais ,do not need Campsites thankfully , each to their own of course but we love the freedom our way offers us.

On the way down there I can recommend two that don't require reservations and are really good ACSI sites. Ideal for stop overs or longer stays.

The first is Les Medes at L'Estartit which is one hour into Spain from Perpignan. There is a bar and you can get hot snacks on site. Also it is possible to walk into the restaurant area just before the main town.

About four hours or so further south at L'Emetlla is Camping LEmetlla. This one is a bit more isolated in the evenings but you can walk or cycle into town for lunch and there is a fantastic cliff top walk if you like that sort of thing.

Weather permitting we will be down there for Christmas and the New Year. We don't like the resorts further south. Too much like refugee camps and far too crowded for our tastes. But each to their own. Our friends spend two months down there every winter.

For wild camping try the Casa Fusta near to Amposta. It is a free aire at the back of a restaurant in an area of natural beauty. You can pump and dump between 9 & 12 each morning for €3. Otherwise no hassle and no charge.

For wild camping try the Casa Fusta near to Amposta. It is a free aire at the back of a restaurant in an area of natural beauty. You can pump and dump between 9 & 12 each morning for €3. Otherwise no hassle and no charge. QUOTE. Thank you for your post I will try that one if we find ourselves in that area, have a great Christmas hopefully in the Sun.

Thank you all for the suggestions. We are already in the Mojacar area, and want to stay south for the weather. I have written to La Roselada to see if they have space for us, and there is another newish site run by a nice Dutch couple near Torrox Costa, where we stayed earlier this year which was lovely. I think they could be full!

The original plan was to go to Morocco but time was limited, and I am advised that Morocco needs a lot more time than we have!

We would also like a little bit of life for the Festive season, but not too much, picky aren't I. *-)

Archived