Has your Solar Panel Fallen Off Recently ?

Terrytraveller

I was asked how I fixed my solar panel onto the roof.

I didn't drill any holes in the roof to fix the solar panel - Honest !

The brackets onto which the solar panel are screwed are stuck on the roof with a proprietary sealant adhesive. The same sort of sealant adhesive used to construct the MH at the factory.

To gain confidence in the adhesive qualities of the assembly, I first stuck two pieces of GRP together (shiny plastic soffat), and left it to cure, after 6 hours it was stuck very well. After 2 days I gave it to one of my sons, a body builder with huge muscles, and asked him to pull it apart. He couldn't pull the two pieces apart!

When the solar panel is fixed by some professionals, they will only put a screw through brackets into the roof, so the brackets don’t move while the sealant adhesive starts to cure, and you can drive it away after a few hours before the adhesive has fully cured, the screws do not hold the solar panel in place - it’s the adhesive..

If you fit the brackets yourself at home on the drive, you can afford to leave the vehicle standing for a few days and the brackets will be firm, without having to make holes in the roof.

The solar panel has been on the roof now for three years, any mould found on the aluminium solar bracket to roof jointing is removed with a stiff brush and the joint resealed without removing the brackets of course, I wonder if a habitation service covers a check on the solar panel fixings?

I am now on my fourth van and the brackets for the solar panel have only been glued to the roof. At no time have I used screws to secure the brackets to the roof.

The Sikaflex sealant/adhesive is certainly strong enough to hold the brackets & panel in place but you must leave sufficient time for the adhesive to cure before driving away. The solar panel has been removed in each case when the van has been changed and the old brackets left in position.

I have also used this method for fixing a maxview crank-up aerial.

A friend of mine has an awning fixed in the same. This uses the full length Fiamma mounting bracket glued to the van and secured with a few screws to hold it in position until the adhesive set. Then the awning was hung on.

This was done in the workshops of a major retailer.

People who don't like cats were probably mice in a previous life.

When I fit solar panels I use a Sikaflex adhesive which has a reactant wiped on to the bonding area first. This stuff sets firm enough in about an hour to be able to drive away. Can't remember the number right now but when I get to the workshop I'll check it out and post it here.

Terry, yes a habitation inspection should cover checking the security of any additional items fitted to the vehicle, this would include solar panels, roof boxes, back boxes, towbars, bike racks, ladders etc.

Terry, Dave, colin. JohnP and others

What about fixing a frame to a aluminium roof though? An old solar heating engineer with 27 years experience and no solar panel himself! (Have 17 square metres of flat plates plus 20 vacuum tubes on the roof of my hutch for water and at a times a little central heating). Is it best to take the cable over the side of the van?

Rob

Hi all, the Sikaflex adhesive I use is 252 and it comes with a 30ml bottle of activator.

Rob, this stuff will adhere to just about any clean dry surface. Just "key" the surface first with a bit of wire wool then brush on the activator, apply the adhesive to the other piece and press together gently. When in position there should be a 3mm bead of adhesive between the jointed parts. Its also used to glue commercial bodies together among other things.

D.

Morning Rob,

Cable entry into the MH is indeed on the side of the MH, high up above the Fiamma awning and enters via a suitable waterproof gland secured and sealed with adhesive sealant. The cable enters one of the top lockers and can be hidden in various ways through the fitted furniture in the MH, to the regulator and then onwards to the battery.

Always remember to loop the cable before entering the gland, so the water runs away from the gland onto the Fiamma awning rail which drip, drips, drips all night, when its raining, keeping you awake!! unless of course you take suitable precautions against it from happening.

Regards Terry

Hi Rob,

Have a look at http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=98927&doy=27m2 for a cheap Voip phone - under £10.

If you haven't got a USB connector to use with a Voip phone, then almost any headset/boom microphone with suitable jacks (I think its 3.5mm) will do, even an built in laptop mike and laptop speakers will work, but not so well as a Voip phone.

I think I mentioned before, Skype is free to download and to use between computers running Skype.

Hoping to hear from you soon!!!

Regards Terry

The method proffered by Dave is an industry standard and providing the instructions are followed works well. Cleanliness is paramount. Its always best NOT to drill holes in the roof if they can be avoided.

Ours? Its bolted to the existing aluminium roof bars with stainless steel "U" bolts. No glue. The cable goes into the van via a plastic IP67 conduit box which is screwed and glued to a vertical upstand on the Autotrail roof, (along with ooodles of other wires associated with ham radio and the rear view camera) so its above the puddle level anyway.

If you are not sure about DIY then ask a professional.

Good to be back

Clive

Archived