CBE 16 Amp Switch Mode Battery Charger

trialsrider

CBE 16 Amp Switch Mode Battery Charger.

Hi there. Could someone advise me what would be the maximum battery size in amps that this charger could safely charge. I'm having a new race van built and I would like to fit as large a battery or combination of batteries as possible. What would be the maximum battery amps ?

This is touched on here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Varta-AGM-LA95-Battery-Matching/51059/

where Allan Evans advised that

the theoretical limits of a charger on wet batteries is 10 times the charger output converted to AH

For a CBE CB-516 charger with 16A output, that would equate to a maximum battery capacity of 160Ah (single battery or total of multiple batteries).

It’s quite common for motorhome manufacturers to fit as standard a CB-516 charger and a single 100Ah leisure-battery, and to offer a 2nd 100Ah leisure-battery as an option without replacing the CB-516 charger with a higher output one.

However, I suggest you follow Allan’s 10-times advice and, if you want more than 160Ah battery capacity, opt for a more powerful charger than the CB-516.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-11-02 8:53 AM

This is touched on here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Varta-AGM-LA95-Battery-Matching/51059/

where Allan Evans advised that

the theoretical limits of a charger on wet batteries is 10 times the charger output converted to AH

For a CBE CB-516 charger with 16A output, that would equate to a maximum battery capacity of 160Ah (single battery or total of multiple batteries).

It’s quite common for motorhome manufacturers to fit as standard a CB-516 charger and a single 100Ah leisure-battery, and to offer a 2nd 100Ah leisure-battery as an option without replacing the CB-516 charger with a higher output one.

However, I suggest you follow Allan’s 10-times advice and, if you want more than 160Ah battery capacity, opt for a more powerful charger than the CB-516.

Thanks Derek

Just the answer I needed. Cheers

Archived