Hymer's Smart Battery System

RonA

I've been reading what I can find on Hymer's Smart Battery System (SBS) to work out whether it's worthwhile considering for a new van. One thing that worries me a little is the possible battery bank capacity and the chargers used. Hymer offer a Lithium Autonomy Pack with the SBS which includes two 135Ah Lithium Batteries and one 95Ah AGM which interest me for longer off-grid use. Adding in the 95Ah Starter Battery and you have a total battery bank of 460Ah. The SBS only includes a 2nd 18A charger so you have 36A chargers in total. I'm not an expert on matters electrical but am aware of the general rule of a battery bank no larger than 10x the charger capacity. Does anyone have the SBS or knowledge of the system and can advise whether Hymer have introduced something that allows a larger battery bank or is there a recipe for disaster brewing?

I have no info on Hymer SBS but, since lithium batteries can accept a charge quite a bit faster than lead batteries, I would say the 10x A >> Ah rule is a bit outdated. Not to mention the thin cables commonly used in MH that could use a substantial upgrade. All in all I'm a bit skeptical it's all done right, as opposed to passable. After all, they still need to come in under 3.5t and that's a powerful incentive to cut some corners no matter what manufacturer.

As an example, this guy uses 70mm2 cables to connect 2x100Ah lithium batteries and the 2000W charger/inverter and 10-16mm2 for everything else: https://www.explorist.life/200-amp-hour-300-watt-camper-van-solar-kit/

I've only ever seen 10mm2 cables in European MH and that was an upgrade from the more common 6mm2.

I cannot answer your query but can relate my own recent interaction with a Hymer dealer. Hymer are selling a 2 bank Lithium battery as a second battery to be added to a Lead acid battery with a smart system that charges the AGM battery first. The lithium battery is advertised at a claimed 20 kg lighter for the same 90Ah AGM capacity. Seems Hymer forgot to inform UK dealers who claim I would need to replace everything in contradiction with the Hymer statements that indicate the system can be upgraded in multiples alongside the existing AGM.

Archived