Headlamp Protectors ..Again

chas

It occured to me after the last thread on headlamp protectors if the new generation of Fiat/Peugeot/Citreon , where the lamps our mounted so high up, basicaly under the windscreen pillars,if any manufacturer will produce protecters ! Would not have thought the risk of flying stones would have entered the equation.

However the vans were designed we are told to help converters in construction of motorhomes, and I would assume the headlights are made in plastic, with such bold curves. Have they allowed this time for the lights to be made to dip for continental driving, or are we still expected to stick beam benders on the plastic ( bearing in mind the lens shape)

Does anyone who as this model information on how to get round this possible problem. chas

I agree with Mel E - have had 2 or 3 windscreen replacements on various motorhomes due to flying stones......so far no lights, though for most of the time did have the plastic extra covers fitted.

Am buying one of the new Fiat's shortly, so would be very interested in whether a beam deflector is required, and how it would be fitted, as the headlamp covers are clear, whether glass or plastic?

Anyone with experience of the new Fiat cab out there?

I'd be interested in where to put headlamp deflectors too! Mine's an 05 Ducato with clear plastic lenses and going to Bruges on Friday. Got some deflectors but have read that you shouldn't stick them onto plastic, and there are no clear markings as to where they should go anyway :-(

Hi chas

Following the other post on headlight protectors I finally managed to speak to Formula 4x4 and their suppliers, agr automotive, who make the plastic protectors.

I asked specifically about the new Renault Master which has similar type of headlight shape to the new sevel vans but not as high up probably. The answer for the Renault was that they had no plans to make them for this model so not sure if they will be considering the new fiat/peugeot.

They didn't know of any other competitors in the field that were making any either.

David

Hi all

Protectors or Beam Deflectors......not so much the former, as I imagine they could be quite difficult to fit, but does anyone have any info about the need for beam deflectors on the new Fiat chassis.......is there a way of doing this within the lightin system, or do you still have tom buy the 'stick-on' variety - if so, how do you know where to fit them!

Nothing about the Renault Master then.

I emailed renault.

They replied they had no information available and gave me a phone no which I rang. It wasnt on their computer so they couldnt give me any information . Told me to try my local dealer. Not had time to do that.

Motorhome

Motorhomer

I put the stick-on headlamp beam deflectors on my 2003 Fiat with no ill effects. They did leave a thick residue on the lens when I removed them, but I got that off with some Bodywipe on a cloth.....had to rub quite hard. Car Sprayers use it to clean the vehicle before spraying. Unlike paint thinners, it won't damage the plastic. Perhaps people are mistaking the thick residue that's left for permanent damage ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I think the deflectors that cause the definate damage of crazing when stuck on actual headlamps is done when using black patches that are obtainable. There is a heat build up behind the black masking tape that causes this. I was not aware that clear patches were available however while in Brownhills in Newark the other day I saw some in their accessory shop and purchased a set. While there I asked about the Renault Master and did they know of any protectors with the deflectors available. The answer was No

However I did glean some useful information while there. The EU is making it compulsory for all new vehicles to be able to switch their headlight for continental use. This info has been known by Brownhills for about a year & I presume that is why there are no plans by 4X4 & others to manufacture & stock the covers. I was also informed that if there are no markings on the headlamp "glass" then they are probably switchable. We had a good look under the bonnet of a current new Renault Master but could not find where to switch the headlamps if indeed they are switchable.

Incidentaly I emailed Renault & phoned them about protectors & converters availability & asked if their headlamps were indeed switchable. I drew a blank in both cases. The phone call ended in "Sorry I cant help as the computer does not give any info.

So watch this space.

Motorhomer

Having worked in France for 6 years and visiting lots more besides I have spoken at length to french people and police about our problem and they all say no one else in Europe does this and also have never seen any hard and fixed law to fit them.I do think they are right as the police told me that if the lights are done as 'E' approved they are fit for the purpose and do not have much upturn as mostly flat beams nowadays.Also to be legal or not legal depending on bits of sticky or where you place them would seem to be ridculous on the face of it and I have often wondered if this is the best rip-off of all time. Try looking for French or German or any commercial drivers with them on esp. as many use the same vehicles as us and you will see what I mean. Have put target on my back as dont want any superficial wounds so aim carefully.

The vast majority of Europe drives on the right and Britain is the odd one out, that said I suppose most continental drivers dont think much about it because of their majority. Saying that there is nothing funny in being blinded at night by oncoming traffic, and because some foriegn police forces seem to have a purge on British drivers as regards lights I think its best to be safe than sorry. I certainly would not like to be arrested abroad after being involved in an accident at night where the other party claimed they were blinded by my uncorrected lights. chas

The only one to watch out for is the extra bulbs one where the police will stop you to make you replace a bulb and let you start again and then stop you immediatly and ask for your spare bulb but cases like this are rare.No law could be made that relied on bit of tatty plastic stuck on haadlights to put you in or out of legal and dos'e'nt it matter that all the rest of europe can come over and dazzle us? Sorry ca'nt buy that one.

Derek Uzzell - 2007-03-02 7:00 PM

Tonyishuk:

Can you say where you saw this in the Caravan Club magazine, please?

Hi,

I tried to find the article, but could not unfortunately. I have a habbit of tearing out the articles, walks, etc that I want to refer too and recycling the rest. I can tell you the its not the March or Feb issues, From memory it was one of those mini news paragraphs consisting of a couple of sentences.

Apologies

8-) Sorry should have added that the UK headlight system dips beams to the left i.e. nearside kerb. Continantal headlights dip nearly up and down and that is why few blindings are experienced in UK. Oh whilst on this subject some people are talking about their driving lights-there is no such product except in the minds of advertising/brichure writers. The power (watts) of which lights go where and when they can operate are very clear and in the construction and use regs. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
tonyishuk - 2007-03-01 6:20 PM

I read in the CC magazine that headlight protectors will be availiable in the spring, for the new Fiats/ pugs.

Rgds

amazing what you see when you are not looking !!

Paragraph in February 207 MMM pages 225-226 (Interchange)

Briefly Fiat say new style headlight protectors availiable spring 2007.

Edited ++ Apologies cutnpasted wrong quote :$

Archived