Electrical Breakdown

stan2315

We have a Autocruise Starfire, recently on a long weekend to Crystal Palace we heard a bleeping noise from the rear of the vehicle, not able to stop we carried on to the camp site. Only to find that all the electrics had gone down. It seems that the main Crystal Palace tv tower was to blame. Not knowing what to do, we made a phone call to our suppliers. The responce was, "have you got a screwdriver," if anyone comes up with the same problem all you need to do is take out 4 screws from the control panel lift it out carefully and disconnect the multi pin connecter for a few seconds and then replace it, problem solved.

s v p

i was informed by the motorvan dealer that the most probable cause was an electical surge from a near by pylon, also it is a know fact that van alarm systems are often affected in this area, this fact supported by our neigbour on the camp site,

s v p

Actually its not as far fetched as you might think. A significant number of alarms and immobilizers are affected by the radio frequency radiation from mobile phone masts, Subarus apparently have a real problem with them. You park your Suby in all innocence not realising you're within a hundred metres of a mobile phone repeater mast and when you come back to it the beast won't start. Call out your recovery service who, after spending a while trying to fix it, tow you away to a garage where, miraculously the car starts and runs like there was never anything wrong!

Most TV masts now also carry microwave dishes for mobile phone and other services. These can sometimes "flood" the area with spurious frequency transmissions causing a variety of problems.

Just for once I think the dealer is telling the truth!

D.

Similar thing happened to me, parked a newish Ford Mondeo in Oxford high Street and the wireless central locking failed to operate. Drove to local Ford Garage, they said I was the umpteenth to come in with the same problem, and had I parked in Oxford High Street? reprogramming the key fixed the problem.

Terry

Hello All,

About 12 to 15 months ago the East Anglian press reported many vehicles having their ECU and general electrics scrambled and providing a financial windfall for a local garage. This was on the coast road between Gt Yarmouth and Cromer. It was caused by an RAF installation (possibly an early warning system) close to the road. I think the problem was short lived and cured by the RAF and after a week or two the story was dropped by the press. The problem certainly happens for various reasons and many people had their vehicles affected.

Regards, Mike

It has been recognised that the Crystal Palace transmitters have caused some problems with electronics when parked on the CC site over recent years.

Terry - The unit referred to is the habitation distribution panel. The 2003 Swift Kontiki which I previously suffered from this and it was a matter of just unscrewing the panel and disconnecting the plug and reconnecting. It would then reset itself and be OK.

Also thanks for the hints on fitting Gaslow system. I have now fitted the same and very pleased. No leaks, although I did use 'sealer' on the supply hoses.

People who don't like cats were probably mice in a previous life.

Hi JohnP,

Thanks for the info, so many weird and unwonderful things happen to the electronics these days! The vehicle manufacturers do warn us of the problems mobile phones can cause with the engine ECU.

I wonder if they can also effect your habitation distribution unit? It seems most control units are designed not to be effected by lower frequency sporadic mains spikes, but not enough thought in the design for high frequency RF protection.

I am pleased your Gaslow system was installed okay, I find it a real boon as I am sure you do.

Regards Terry

Archived