Fire Extinguishers

naittaw

The 1 Kg Dry Powder Extinguisher in my van has a wee gauge on top with the needle securely in the centre of the green zone. I think that the extinguisher has been in the van since new, 9 years. Should it be refilled, replaced or can I rely on the guage ?

Hi Alfred,

I have the same type of fire extinguisher about 5 years old and the gauge is showing pressure. I think you are advised to give them a good shake up periodically to ensure the powder stays fluid - if that's the word to use!

I suppose at 9 years old it should be replaced, if you do replace yours, perhaps you will try it out before you throw it away, even setting a fire in the garden to see how effective it is, and let us all know your findings!

Regards Terry

Not all of them, the ones from DIY paces are generally throw away. Which is criminal. If the pressure drops off I pump it back up with my compressor at 100 PSI as there is no cylinder like there is on a CO2 type. There is no way I would use a powder one in my MH as long as I still have unused BCF ones left. I know they are now banned but so what. If the gas has to be discharged it may as well put out a fire at the same time.

Hi Pete, not sure your compressor is going to help with pressure. Most dry powder types are rated at 20-22 bar which is 300-330 PSI aproximately.

I am about to replace both of my dry powder units as one (0.6KG with no pressure guage) is dated as manufactured in 1999 and warranted until the end of 2004. The other (1.0KG with pressure guage showing firmly in the green) is dated as manufactured in 1998 and warranted until the end of 2000! For the sake of

D.

Hi Pete, not sure your compressor is going to help with pressure. Most dry powder types are rated at 20-22 bar which is 300-330 PSI aproximately.

I am about to replace both of my dry powder units as one (0.6KG with no pressure guage) is dated as manufactured in 1999 and warranted until the end of 2004. The other (1.0KG with pressure guage showing firmly in the green) is dated as manufactured in 1998 and warranted until the end of 2000! For the sake of £30 or so I'd rather have in date extinguishers on board. Both will be replaced with 1.0KG dry powder models with the pressure guage. In fact I think I'll speak to the company that supplies my extinguishers for the workshop and see what they can do.

D.

For those who may not know !

Halon, otherwise known as BCF, type vapourising extinguishers are banned from use, and even discharging them into the atmosphere today could find you facing at least an ASBO if not a wacking great fine.

The major manufacturing firms will take them back for emptying.

The Halon is then recycled into fire fighting "systems", which include certain government constructions, like aircraft, warships and computer suites.

Turning them into Fire Stations will also lead to them being sent to manufacturers.

And anyone with a CTC type (old pump action extinguisher for vehicles uses) should be aware of its potential danger of becoming carcinogenic if inhaled. Usually attacks the kidneys.

And if put onto hot steel, becomes phosgene, as used in WW1 trench warfare.

To anyone interested, Aldi have fire extinguishers on offer from time to time, I bought two last time they were on offer (around Christmas) for £4.99 each. They are dry powder, lightwieght made from aluminium and have a charge guage and are a 1kg model made in Italy by ANAF Group specificaly designed for motorhomes and marine use, as stated on the packaging.

Bas

• 2 weeks later...

Well I saw the chap who services my workshop extinguishers yesterday and he sarted me out with a nice new pair of 2 KG units, one dry powder one AFFF foam. Dry powder needs to be replaced at five years because after that period it cannot be guaranteed not to clump together which would block the nozzle and render the extinguisher useless. He recomended the foam because it will deal with most types of fire and doesn't make as much mess as dry powder. When its dried up it won't leave stains on upholstery apparently. The foam unit is going by the back door and the dry powder behind the drivers seat.

He also mentioned where to mount the units as apparently some people put them up on the bulkhead behind the driver. As he pointed out, this is not a good idea because if you have an accident the extinguisher will very likely separate from its mounting and hit the driver on the back of the head. 2KGs of metal extinguisher hitting you on the head at 30MPH is often fatal!

D.

As an aside, I once visited a microchip wafer manufacturer which was totally clean room standard with air cleaning locks and full gowns before entering. In one of there fascilities a powder extinguisher had been set off. Fascility was shut for months in order to clean up.

Powder extinguishers banned from site

No mention yet of CO2 ext. Will cope with all types of small fire, electric, organic etc. Leaves no mess. Still legal. Any fire that it won't cope with should be left to the professionals anyway.... what price a life?

Lee

Lets not forget the humble fire blanket, no harmful gases, no expiry time, and can deal with many small fires, and lets face it large fires can not be controled by 1 kg extinguishers. The old saying of the fireservice also is "Get out and stay out". chas

We do have a fire blanket mounted near the cooker. CO2 is ok as an extinguishwer but it will not succesfully put out a fat fire such as in a pan. What happens is the CO2 extinguishes the flames immediately but as soon as its drifted away the fat will re-ignite because its temperature is above its flash point. Dry powder and AFFF foam will stay on the pan and suffocate the fire and keep it out.

D.

Slightly off but relevant I think ........Do many people have chip pan's in their van's ?. Also please can people explain their abreviations or are they SOTBO and I,m just silly ?.

Whats AFFF and BCF fire extinquishers please ?.

I also read the points about shaking them every year I never knew that and where can one by a fire blanket B&Q ?. cheers.

The chip pan is a no no for us we won't even have one at home so their is no way that we would ever put it in a small camper with us.

Guest JudgeMental

Powder - horrible mess.

CO2 can be purchased in 1kg - 2kg size - still larger then compact powder, but a hell of a lot more efficient and clean.

Archived