Isle of Wight/Red Funnel Ferries

Bill Ord

Has anybody taken their Motorhome to the Isle of Wight by Red Funnel Ferries? I'm intrigued by their adverts in the magazines because although their prices are attractive their height limit of 2.7 metres seems to rule out anything except van conversions and pop tops. Has this height limit always been in force or is it a recent thing? Let me know what van you've taken and the height please. I would have thought they could take higher vehicles because they must be able to get trucks over to the island or am i mistaken?

Bill Ord

Hi Bill

We went with them on one of these 5 night deals a few years ago. The only difference form the quoted offer is that we had to pay a £10.00 supplement because we were over 2.7m, other than that, no problem. We went to the Southland campsite which is a little bit inland and I think adults only. Very nice site and lovely facilities, being a bit more central it was easy to pop to the various bits of the island and only a couple of minutes drive from a lovely chippy! We avoided 2 of the other campsites as they were more commercial and had statics as well as tourers, and the other one didn't take dogs.

Really enjoyed it and spent some lovely time pottering on the south west jurassic coast. Keep meaning to go back again but never quite got there.

Hi Bill

We have also used the Red Funnel 5 night deal, paying the £10 suppliment for our AutoTrail Scout.

We used the Landguard site which is within walking distance of the railway station. For Steam enthusiasts, a day ticket for both the steam and Island line can be purchased, and the steam train connects with the Island line at a Smallbrook Junction.

See www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk

and www.island-line.co.uk

We stayed at Green Pastures Campsite ( www.greenpasturesfarm.com) just of J2 M27. This made for an easy early start for the ferry to make the most of the 6 days on the Island.

Hi Bill,

We took our coachbuilt Elddis Autostratus over a couple of years back on a £99 for five nights deal, well worth it, the campsite was The Orchards I believe. We are over your stated height limit but we weren't aware of any restriction and we certainly were not asked to pay any more, perhaps it's a new thing. As for the isle, well worth the visit though I would not want to go in the holiday season, I believe that the infrastructure would make tourism hell, far better to go out of season and travel easily around all the sights without the hinderence of other tourists. Just my opinion, others may like crowds and sitting in traffic!!

Bas

Edit for typo's

Hi Bill

We have taken our 26' RV to the Isle of Wight 3 years running also towing a car, they classed us as a car and caravan as the system would not accept a motorhome towing a car.

Not aware of a height limit don't think we were even asked but had to pay a lenght supplement but still worth the money 5 night's camping with hook up and ferry last year was £125 so thinking about it say £15 a nght for the pitch leaves only £50 for the ferry!!!

Regards Pat

Actually 2.7m isn't that low as my current A Class comes in at that.

However I've been over with a van over that size and I just said it was 2.7m. They don't measure you and there is no physical barrier. If the worst comes to the worst you can plead ignorance and hand over the other tenner I expect.

As for the sites, we've used Southlands and Orchards. I would recommend both. But as any trips from right to left (or vice versa) seem to go via Newport it's best to decide which end interets you and pick the site accordingly. East for seaside towns, Ventnor, Shanklin etc. and west for scenery and walks.

Whichever you pick IoW is a great 5 night break. To get best value I've crossed on early ferry on Sunday and returned on late ferry on Friday. I also like to use the New Forest sites (only a short drive from Southampton dock) to pad out either end.

Hi

You think you have trouble. We live on the Island and what annoys us is the fact that you can get multi-link tickets (which save a good bit of money) for cars up to 6m long and 2.25m high. The trouble is our 'van is 5.9m but the height is 3m and the excuse from the ferry operators for not being able to get multi-link tickets is that we may not be able to get on the ferry we have booked. We are retired so it wouldn't worry us if we had to wait for the next ferry.

The ferry companies to and from the Island charge extortionate rates for such a short crossing after all it is the Islanders main highway. It is far cheaper to go to Europe than cross the Solent.

Even so the Island is still one of the nicest places to live at the moment.

Archived